We've just opened up our campaign to international shipping! Thanks for everyone reaching out across the world - we appreciate all your interest and support in the product.
Learn About Bem:
bēm wireless is an innovator in consumer electronics, making wireless solutions for everyone. By identifying user's experiences, bēm makes it easy for its innovations to be integrated into their lives.
Formed in 2012, bēm brings together entrepreneurial spirit and know-how plus the track record for successful engineering execution.
Beginning with the audio line, including mobile speakers and wireless headphones, and quickly moving on to the development of video and a host of other lifestyle-enhancing products, bēm is tireless about keeping wireless portable, affordable and accessible.
What is a Kickstand you ask?
The bēm wireless Kickstand is a high performance portable projector. It fits right into your briefcase or purse to transport to the office. Just because it’s so portable and easy to set up does not mean we compromised on quality. This bad boy has sleek, elegant finish with tech specs that will wow you for such a little device.
A long journey worth the trip...
The Kickstand projector has been in the making for over a year. The founders of bem wireless have had many successes in the consumer electronics arena and have always been passionate about the projector business. Knowing there was room for improvement - the Kickstand concept was born.
This project was led by Mike Nakamura, one of the founders of bem wireless with much experience in the consumer electronics business. His past companies have had worldwide success creating toys and entertainment products that have hit shelves in all the major retailers. From toy robots to LCD ornaments to bluetooth wireless speakers, Mike's successes have had a wide range.
We knew that we wanted a compact, portable unit that could travel easy and had the attention to detail and design that today's consumer demands... so we went to our tablet and begun sketching.
Due to the way DLP light engines work we knew there would be a challenge with creating a vertical design. So we brought the challenge to a longtime associate and friend of bem wireless - Jim Morrow of Morrow Design. The Morrow team is experienced with complex ID problem solving and jumped right into sending us some great solutions.
The A-Frame design specifically stood out to our team. This was an ID not explored in the market and we loved the portability factor. After many discussions Morrow went back to the drawing board. We saw many iterations of the A-Frame design....
But it wasn't until we saw "Layout 10" that we knew we were headed in the right direction - the Kickstand was born.
After finalizing the direction the designers were set for with pinning down all the details and working through the design in its entirety.
Working in tandem with the outer ID, our team was working through laying out the pcb. Many factors were taken into consideration to make sure this projector stayed compact, portable and functioned at peak performance.
We have a close working relationship with our chinese factoy and our team of engineers were set with the task to not only create 3D images of the Kickstand but also create our first functioning prototype.
Hours of testing has gone into configuring the Kickstand to it's current state. Numerous prototypes have been generated, reviewed, revised and rebuilt. Below is a video demonstrating our current operational prototype demonstrating the interface, movie play through a usb drive, focus, etc.
*Please note - it is hard to capture on video the true experience of this projector.
Overview of product development thus far
- The middle of 2012 saw the completion of the product ID design and 3D development of the Kickstand with the help of Morrow Design and the engineering staff of our manufacturing partners.
- During this process we worked with our managing staff at the factory to find an outside vendor to provide a compact solution with HD specifications. In this field there are not a lot of players that manufacturer light engines. This vendor produces top of line light engines for major brands across the globe and our manufacturing partners have a close relationship with their company. We are confident that this component will be the perfect fit to our design, the only issue will be getting funds to obtain the items for production (which is where you come in!)
- Prototypes have been created, tested, revised and retested. By going through the prototype process we can assure that the final product that will be delivered is going to be the quality our company demands. Not only have we previewed the outer ID elements like the aluminum band, the soft touch finish, the snap in remote control / lens cover, the integrated swivel, but have also been able to thoroughly test the inner components. The projection distance, internal interface, media playback and many other countless features of the Kickstand have been checked over not only by our overseas staff of engineers but also by our team here in the US.
- Tooling for this project is a major undertaking that we already have under our belt. Months ago the Kickstand product ID was tooled for production. That means, now all we need to obtain are the raw materials and outside parts (ie. the light engine) to start production on this awesome projector.
- At this point we are finalizing marketing assets, packaging and user guide art files for the production run. These items are always handled by bem's on-site creative team (The marketing director and graphic designer).
Production and fulfillment plans
In December of last year bem wireless launched our company and brand with a line of 4 bluetooth speakers. We made a huge splash at CES, turning the heads of buyers worldwide. Currently we are retailing our audio line across North America and have representation in the UK, Canada, Spain, Portugal, South Africa, and many more countries.
Our partnership with our manufacturer in China allows us to successfully produce and fulfill orders effectively and efficiently. They have been designing, engineering and manufacturing products for the consumer electronics industry since 1995. They have 2 major manufacturing locations, including one that is 926,000 square feet. With over 1000 employees and quality control by ISO9001, we trust they are more the qualified to produce the Kickstand no matter what the future demands.
Here in the US we have an office space with marketing, creative, sales, and operational staff. Our attached warehouse will easily house future Kickstand product stock as we're already housing and shipping our audio line of over 12 individual products. After the successful conclusion of our Kickstarter campaign, we plan to use those funds received to bring in not only product to fulfill Kickstarter demands but also to meet the retailer demands and our ecommerce orders in the 4th quarter of 2013.
Who wants this projector and what can they use it for?
Anyone who wants to project a large, high quality image with a small, sleek projector can be amazed by the Kickstand. It's perfect for business travelers, tech enthusiasts, urban dwellers, presenters and gamers. Any business professional can easily fit the Kickstand in their briefcase to bring along to an important meeting and business trip. Want an easy set up for a home theater? Use the Kickstand projector to set up and start watching a high quality movie at a 90” projection, even on the ceiling.
Tech Specs and Features:
Like we mentioned briefly above, our Kickstand brags great quality. It has an LED DLP with a WXGA of 1280x800 (720p) and uses quick convert hardware, which means less buffering and more time to enjoy!
Benefits of DLP over LCD:
1. Smaller size
2. Shock resistant (LCD inner components are fragile)
3. Supports HD
Benefits of LED:
1. Smaller size
2. Low power consumption
3. Original LED Lifetime: 20,000 hours
4. Shock resistant
6. Quicker start-up time
7. Less heat
At a distance of one foot, the Kickstand projects an image at 9" and at ten feet away, the Kickstand projects a whopping image at an impressive 90"!
Light engine specs:
-Integrated remote control and lens cover
-Soft touch finish
-Anodized aluminum frame with kickstand
-Hide away directional swivel
Why we need your help:
Our biggest challenge has been fronting the cost of manufacturing. We also need the money for tooling for our Kickstand and to get it direct to consumers.
What we want to give to you!
We want to give a huge thank you to everyone involved with helping us out. We appreciate your help to make our wireless electronic dreams come true!
Fall in love with bēm!
We currently have 4 globally successful products already being sold on our website. These products are also being sold on Walmart.com, Amazon.com and Bestbuy.com.
All of our products are portable wireless speakers. You can connect to them with your favorite Bluetooth enabled device, and if you don’t have Bluetooth, don’t worry! Our speakers also have an aux in/out port for more connection options!
Our mobile speaker is about the size of a tennis ball and works perfectly to carry around anywhere you go.
The bem wireless outlet speaker is hassle free because it truly has no wires! This speaker, about the size of a juicebox, plugs directly into any outlet and saves valuable space that normal speakers would clutter.
Our boom box speaker is a more modern twist of an old 80’s boom box. This speaker is perfect for booming sound at your next party or BBQ.
Last but certainly not least, we have our unique speaker trio. This consists of three cube speakers that can be placed in three different rooms to enjoy all around sound! Catch up with us and learn more information at our website www.bemwireless.com. You can also check out our many social media pages too!