The rulebook and miniatures for new standalone Ex illis, a wargame where human factions fight alongside angels, demons and fairies.
The rulebook and miniatures for new standalone Ex illis, a wargame where human factions fight alongside angels, demons and fairies. Read more
About this project
During this Kickstarter campaign, we are seeking your support to create and publish a complete hard copy rule set of Ex illis.
The hard cover rulebook will include :
- Original full color art and concept drawings
- The immersive background, history and timeline of the Ex illis world
- A traditional version of the Ex illis ruleset that captures the feel of the original digitally assisted game.
- The history, statistics and gameplay tips for all the heroes and units in the base game
- Tips for modelling and customizing your miniatures
- A sample Army Sheet and a blank copy
- A sample Unit card and blank copies for each hero and unit
- Unlockable content with stretch goals.
You can hear more detail about the game on the Nov 16th podcast from Meeples & Miniatures
Ex illis is a miniature wargame set in a pseudo-historic fantasy world populated by the historic figures from the 13th century, that also incorporates mythological and biblical figures from the medieval Europe. Angels, demons, witches, faeries and imps fight alongside different human factions for the dominance over Europe, or to strengthen the evil grip of the Infernal army.
The game will feature:
- Epic, large scale combat between the forces of different lands and factions helped by demonic, angelic and magical allies.
- Zone based movement (no rulers needed).
- Management of Fatigue and Hit points, your forces' key resources.
- A unique Morale system based on synergies built into your army list.
- Soft factions to allow units to be fielded with any army... for a cost.
- Unit specialisation.
- Progression system. (leveling, talents spec etc.)
- Gorgeous illustrations and historic research to accompany the game.
- Highly detailed, 28mm scale, unpainted, hard plastic miniatures.
- Compatibility with the original digitally enhanced version of Ex illis on PC / Mac / iOS game (Coming soon).
The Ex illis franchise has been around since 2009 with a digitally enhanced war game called "Ex illis Wargaming 2.0". In those 4 years, many players have enjoyed the depth of Ex illis' gameplay, the ease of use of the software and the overall quality of the miniatures. When Ex illis launched, we immediately started to build a community of players with tournaments and events throughout the year so players could join all over the world and play Ex illis with new friends. We also added many features (such as the items or the social panel on the website) derived from discussions and requests by our player base.
Sadly, the company that started the game back then went bankrupt in 2011. Some of the former employees regrouped to form Chinchilla games. We then started our own journey to bring Ex illis back to the world of gaming. We worked out a way to get the rights for the IP, and all the assets, and once those legal aspects were ironed out, we started working on the rule book project. Meanwhile, we always continued to provide support to our digital game so the Ex illis franchise would remain playable.
Although the potential of the digital platform is almost limitless, our goal is to provide the opportunity to players to play however they want. Since the first days of Ex illis, people have asked us for a way to play the game in a more traditional way without the Digital Rule Keeper. We at Chinchilla games, think it was about time we got to it.
The miniatures sold in this Kickstarter project are all compatible with the Ex illis Wargaming 2.0 game. Ex illis is one of the first wargame to feature a hybrid approach using a computer or iOS device to increase the depth to a new level, while keeping the user’s gameplay experience simple and fun. You can even play this game for free with proxy armies right now on www.ex-illis.com. So pledging to this Kickstarter campaign is like buying 2 games with 1 pledge.
Ex-illis Wargaming 2.0 include features like:
- Talent tree for each unit
- Leveling for you as a commander and for your units.
- Items and economic system for your units and heroes
- Web-based army builder
- Advanced number crunching mechanics with morale and fatigue
- Unit coloring online reflected in-game.
- Wiki with hundreds of pages to explain backstory of heroes and factions.
- And much much more!
Shipping is included in the pledge prices for Canada and continental US only. Kickstarter doesn't allow for separate shipping options for different countries so please add shipping charges ONLY if you are outside Canada and Continental US. For all orders outside of those 2 areas, please add the additional charges specified by Kickstarter. In addition, you will be responsible for any import charges (if any) upon receipt.
If the Kickstarter campaign is successfully funded, we will ship items in waves. Since we already have most of the miniatures in stock, we will start to ship waves containing only miniatures really early (January 2014), but we expect everything will be shipped by july 2014.
Thank you for your support.
- All miniatures presented in this campaign are unpainted unless specified otherwise in the description.
- William Wallace and Lucifer heroes miniatures are metal miniatures.
Risks and challenges
As with all project, there is some risks we must manage in order to deliver the best possible product in time with our schedule. To achieve this goal, people at Chinchilla games already started working on the game rules and we already have a huge portion of the rule system written down and play-tested. We also have tons of contents to publish in other sections of the book. We have worked on this project for almost a year now and we have already dodged most of the high risk tasks for this project. We are confident we will be able to develop a high quality product on schedule for the july release.
On the production side, our previous experience and relation with the suppliers allows us to be much more confident in the production of physical components for this project. As for the miniatures, most of the miniatures shown in this Kickstarter campaign are already in stock and ready to ship, thus eliminating a huge part of the risk.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (29 days)