Worldwide media coverage (newspapers, magazines, television, web sites, etc.) about our project has been astonishing!
This project is also supported by Franco Zeffirelli, Liliana Cavani, some of the students of the “Stella Adler Studio of Acting” of New York and the young guests of the St. Francis Monastery in Rome.
Please share this project with all your friends ... on Facebook too !!!
When St. Francis of Assisi used to come to Rome between 1209 and 1223 to meet the Pope, his house was a small "Cell” where he lived and assisted lepers. After eight centuries this place now requires substantial restoration work in order to preserve its priceless spiritual value and its ancient works of art.
Your support of the Cell’s restoration will not only provide free public admission to this historic site, but also the conservation of the works of art which are part of the world’s cultural heritage.
ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI
St. Francis of Assisi (1182-1226) is known and loved around the world for his decision to give up his material wealth in favor of the poor, indeed a very brave, difficult and worthy gesture.
Francis was a lover of nature, a pacifist and someone who was tolerant of those who were different. He was actively engaged in social matters and was not held back by the ills of the world but rather fought personally for a more just society.
Francis did not have any social, ethnic or religious prejudices but simply felt that he was the brother of all creatures. We believe that his example is still very much alive because he does not expect others to change but rather to live with them in brotherhood.
St. Francis of Assisi’s first contact with this place was in 1209 when he came to Rome to meet Pope Innocenzo III. During this visit, the Roman noblewoman Jacoba de' Settesoli helped St. Francis to find a place to stay at the monastery-hospital of the Benedictine monks which was located near the banks of the Tiber River.
St. Francis of Assisi was always very fond of this place and stayed here on several occasions during his travels to Rome. After the Saint's death and by order of Pope Gregorio IX, the Benedictine monastery passed over to the Franciscans in 1229.
At the beginning of the 17th century, St. Francis’ Cell was in danger of being demolished during the monastery’s renovation. The current accommodation was completed in 1698. There is an inscription at the entrance of the Cell that recalls the apparition of St. Francis of Assisi in a dream by Cardinal Alessandro Montalto Peretti.
A wooden altar made by the Franciscan cabinet-maker Bernardino da Jesi (17th century) is inside the Cell which displays, in the center, a portrait of St. Francis (tempera painting) by the Tuscan painter Margaritone d'Arezzo (1262-1305).
On the right side of the wall lies the stone upon which St. Francis of Assisi laid his head while he rested, whereas, on the left side, there is a photo of Pope John Paul II on his knees in prayer during his visit there on December 1, 1991.
St. Francis’ Cell is located at the first floor of the Roman church and monastery of San Francesco a Ripa in the ancient Trastevere neighborhood.
Information (in Italian, English, Spanish and Russian) on the history of this church is available on the website www.sanfrancescoaripa.com.
IF I CONTRIBUTE TO THIS PROJECT, WHAT WILL THE MONEY FUND?
If the fundraiser reaches US $ 125,000, we will have enough money for all the steps of the project:
- restoration of the Cell: walls, wooden ceiling, floor, decorations, as well as the stone-pillow upon which St. Francis of Assisi laid his head while he rested;
- virtual Cell: a reproduction of the Cell to let it be visited even during the closing for restoration;
- equipment: new electrical installation, new air conditioning system, new overhead projectors;
- rewards: preparation and shipping to all the donors of the gifts conceived, created and manufactured specifically for this project;
- public conference: in order to scientifically explain the restoration work, along with free guided tours to the restored Cell;
- communication campaign: the constant communication and activities with the media in order to let this place be known everywhere and allow a fruitful fundraising around the world;
- social activities of the Monastery of St. Francis in Rome;
- taxes and dues.
We will keep you informed !!!
The restoration work will last five months and will end on September 30, 2014. The official opening of the restored Cell is scheduled for October 4, 2014.
All donors will have their names placed on the memorial panels located at the entrance of the Cell and on the website dedicated to the restoration.
Some of the rewards are the following (see dedicated section for a complete list):
Risks and challenges
The most important challenge for us is to reach US $ 125,000 to finance the project. If we reach the goal, the restoration work will start.
We have chosen a team of highly qualified restorers, which has already worked in the field of cultural and artistic heritage and is able to quickly solve any issue.
We already have all the necessary permits and we expect to complete the restoration work in five months. Such a time allows us to face any unexpected events.
Our deadline is October 4, 2014, when the inauguration of the restored Cell will take place.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)