"This is Modern Dance" is an RDC project that aims to expand beyond the traditional boundaries of the dance world to introduce professional dance works in surprising public venues throughout the Chicago area. These performances will be unannounced to create a spontaneous experience for the public but will be fully planned and choreographed.
Rephrase Dance Collective is a Non-Profit Organization. The dance company’s application for tax-exempt status is pending with the state of Illinois. Your donations go directly towards renting rehearsal space, paying dancers' salaries and the cost of our public performance license.
Note: Music in video by Yacht
Our mission as a company:
Rephrase Dance Collective is an ensemble company dedicated to making modern dance more accessible to a range of communities and age groups within Chicago in order to generate a broader interest, understanding, and support of modern dance through performances, workshops and community programming. Toward this end, it will devote itself to the following activities:
• Offer numerous free public performances to engage both regular dance attendees, while also exposing dance to an atypical audience
• Initiate programs in dance to benefit residents of Chicago and the surrounding suburbs
• Work closely with schools within Chicago and the surrounding suburbs to bring dance to the youth
• Apply for grants in support of dance and the arts on a state, regional and national level
• Seek funds from private sectors, both individuals and companies, who support dance and the arts
• Promote dance as a healthy creative outlet for both the mind and body
• Develop awareness of the importance of dance within the Chicago community
• Continually utilize new technologies to enhance the dance experience
Risks and challenges
This project relies significantly on how people react to our art both as an audience and as potential venues. We will have to establish relationships with the city of the Chicago, as well as, different building managers in order to perform at such public venues. If people are disinterested or unwilling to take a chance on our company we may have slim selections for public venues at the beginning (especially as we enter the cold months of Chicago). However, we are confident that people will respond positively and as we grow as an organization we will have many more options for potential performance venues. This is something rather new to the city of Chicago, but we believe the city is ready for something of this variety. Mayor Rahm Emanuel has publicly announced he wants to turn Chicago into "an international destination for dance" (Chicago Tribune). Thus, we believe that art absolutely needs to be more integrated into the everyday culture of the city. With our passion we will not stop until we make our dream a reality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)