UPDATE! As of March 7th, we are at 100% funding! There is the potential for DOZENS of Kickstarter only promo cards if we can start climbing towards $14K. EVERY PLEDGE HELPS. SPREAD THE WORD SO WE CAN GIVE YOU MORE STUFF!
OK, as we were saying...
Nature of the Beast (NotB): Prairie Vs. Polar is a card game that puts you in control of a secret animal army fighting in the shadows of humanity! You'll lead a strategic campaign to recruit enough animals to fight for your cause before your opponent can. If you are the first player to field a complete army, you win the game!
Commanding an animal army isn't as easy as it sounds. Each turn, you'll get decide where to direct your efforts. Will you recruit new animals? Move your animals to better positions in your field? Seek out advantageous locations, items and human allies? Or will you try to throw a monkey wrench (or a monkey with a wrench) into your opponent's plans by taking the fight to them?
If this wasn't hard enough, you still have to worry about all those skittish humans! They don't take too kindly to open animal warfare and will quickly put an end to your army if they perceive it as a threat!
With all of these choices each turn, NotB guarantees that you will have a satisfyingly unique game experience every time.
The Battle Box contains two pre-built decks. Each 70-card deck represents the unique animals and resources of the diverse habitats. The decks are well-balanced and competitive straight out of the box. Feel free to customize them to match your style. In fact, we're including three dozen extra cards to help you do just that.
"This sounds strangely familiar..."
It should! NotB: City Vs. Suburb and NotB: Farm Vs. Forest premiered in 2005. Like Prairie Vs. Polar, each one is a standalone game, yet completely compatible with the other sets. The Battle Boxes can be combined to add more players or to allow for even more customization.
"So what did the reviewers think about NotB?"
They had a lot of positive things to say about the first two sets:
- Tom Vasel of The Dice Tower explained that 'while the luck of the draw is present, strategy reigns supreme... it's been a long time since I've been this impressed by the balance between cards.'
- Shannon Appelcline on RPG.net gave NotB 'a full 5 out of 5 for style.'
- 'Geek Fu Action Grip' Podcast flattered us by saying 'the art on the cards is hysterical, I mean, it's bordering John Kovalic hysterical.'
- Matt Eaton of 'Play Unplugged' pointed out that 'if you thought Charlotte's Web was what life should be like or if Watership Down moved you to tears, you'll love the flavor of this game.'
- Spewgilist.com praised NotB as 'Not simplistic.. not derivative, tame or pandering... the 2007 Non-Computer Game of the Year!'
And that's not even half of them. Feel free to check out the rest.
We are excited to share a whole new chapter of the secret animal wars with both old and new fans alike!
We haven't held back anything! This Battle Box will be brimming with...
- Two new 70 card decks illustrated by the original NotB artist (yours truly)!
- A beautiful, full color instruction booklet, with streamlined rules and lots of examples of play (available here for your perusal).
- Reversible game boards!
- Tokens to keep track of everything!
- Redesigned card layouts to enhance your game experience!
- 36 extra cards for customizing your decks! Including the brand new TRAP cards and eight new animals for the original habitats!
- A box big enough to hold your new cards and space for four more decks! Now you have a home for ALL of your NotB cards!
And worry not, old fans... everything is 100% compatible with the original four decks! Mix-and-match to your heart's content!
"Wait, I can get in the game?"
Yes! There are four options:
- Bison Option #1: We will match up the name you give us with one of the new locations: The haunted campground, the city park, the quirky shop, the sweat lodge, the research outpost and the road-side produce stand. Name it after yourself or in tribute to someone else!
- Bison Option #2: We'll work together to name one of the two Kickstarter promotional legends! The swift fox with pacifistic tendencies and the cryptic narwhal explorer need great names... and we bet you have one!
- Bison Option #3 (NEW!): Due to the popularity of option #2, we've opened up two of the bonus legends to for your naming pleasure! The forest's legendary bat and the suburb's mockingbird are open for business!
- HUMAN: (NEW!) We are adding four more humans to Prairie Vs. Polar. Want to be one of them? Just send us a picture and what you want your profession to be. You're IN. And not as a possible promo, but as a card in the actual game!
- Note: since human is being added later in the game, we cannot guarantee you one of the limited number of legend art pieces. We will try, but if not, you'll still get another piece of really cool art. In fact, if that happens, we will make sure that you get two!
The small print: Any name will have to pass certain legal and game mechanic requirements. If there are multiple cards to chose from, priority will be given starting with the earliest supporter who pledged at that level. Now go claim gaming immortality in your own lifetime!
"What is the US domestic shipping fee?"
UPDATED: "What are the international shipping fees?"
- Gecko level - None
- Penguin or Badger level - $5 shipping fee
- Sled Dog or higher - $15 shipping fee
All other International orders:
- Gecko level - None
- Penguin or Badger level - $15 shipping fee
- Sled Dog or higher - $25 shipping fee
Kickstarter does not automatically factor in these shipping fees, so you'll have to manually add them to your pledge.
Remember that at the Sled Dog or higher you can pick up one or two extra copies of the game if you want at no additional shipping cost(see FAQ).
"At Sled Dog and beyond, I see that I get copies of the original Battle Boxes. That's awesome, but I've already got ten sets. Any chance of something else?"
Absolutely. If we are successfully funded, you'll get the option of replacing the copies of Farm Vs. Forest and City Vs. Suburb with either an additional copy of Prairie Vs. Polar or copy of our family board game, Flat Acting.
"How about a stretch prize?"
Sure! $10K would be amazing, but why stop there? With enough money, we can afford a larger print run at a cheaper cost per unit. That's economic lingo for 'sweetness'.
So for every extra $500 between $10K and $20K we will add at least one additional promo card to the four you receive at Badger or better...
Some funding goals will entitle you to even more Kickstarter promo cards:
- At $11K, you'll get two cards inspired by the winners of our Podcast Appreciation Contest. VOTE NOW.
- At $12K, you'll get six agents of the Lion's Thorn... one hailing from each existing habitat. Dual membership in both their native habitat and the Lion's Thorn makes them the perfect animals for building a mixed habitat deck.
- At $12.5K, we will be adding two 'Lion's Thorn Token' item cards. These will give other animals the chance to join the secret organization!
- At $13K, we will be adding two more exciting cards: the ancient headquarters of the Lion's Thorn and the heroic Lion's Thorn mouse, Androcles!
If exceeding $14K looks promising, we will flesh out the next couple thousand dollars of promo card madness. We want you to make us work for this funding drive, so get your friends in on this! And remember, we give you two copies of each promo card at Sled Dog or better.
Simply put, Kickstarter allows us to raise more money than we would through traditional sales AND to raise it before printing the game. That is a beautiful thing for a little company like ours.
Thank you for taking the time to learn about our project and supporting one small-press game company's big idea. You are some kind of awesome!
- (31 days)