Ferment your own alcohol with this portable homebrewer! Our rapid fermentation technology could revolutionize the brewing process Read more
This project was successfully funded on January 5, 2014.
About this project
- Facebook Page
- View Business Plan Competition
- State competition held at Boise State University
- 2013 fall issue of Here We Have Idaho
- August issue of Idaho Business Review
- Crowd District
- The Drainage
- Idaho Statesman
Like what you see? Join the buzz! Help us start the revolution by sharing our project with your friends.
What would it be like to have the ability to brew your very own hand-crafted artisan beverages on your kitchen counter? To try new concoctions everyday? Having the creative power to take your ideas and personal taste palate to a new level and make it a reality to be shared with your friends? Discover your own creative talents with The Bootlegger Bottle; which uses a patent pending technology that takes the yeast necessary for fermentation and encapsulates it within a semi-permeable membrane. This makes fermentation faster and easier, turning sugars into alcohols in hours instead of days, while preventing problems such as contamination and foam formation. The Bootlegger Bottle can be easily sanitized between batches and reused for up to five months!
These results are possible because of the patent-pending fermentation technology (Beads) inside the Bootlegger. The Beads ferment faster and more efficiently than the traditional process. They can be made using any yeast strain which will appeal to homebrewers everywhere, due to the diversity of yeast strains and flavors available.
Ruckus has been testing the Beads in beer, wine, and spirit production. Results from brewery and homebrewing tests can be found at our sister site BREWINGBETTERBEER.COM. Our long term vision is to use the Beads in commercial applications, but require time and money for R&D. Their application in the Bootlegger Bottle is a great way to get the technology into the market and see what suggestions YOU have for improvements.
So simple, anyone can do it. The possibilities are as limitless as your imagination when you simplify fermentation to the conversion of sugars to alcohol with our patent pending BioEx yeast beads. By experimenting with different sugars (agave, brown sugar, or honey), longer fermentation times, and even the addition of real fruit juices, you can be the brewer, the bartender, and the viticulturist. With this many options, the Bootlegger Bottle can be explored by everyone, from a first time experimenter to a seasoned home brewer.
Experiencing the possibilities of the Bootlegger Bottle is simple – just follow these four easy steps!
How to Brew
1) Pour the starting beverage of your choice into the Bootlegger Bottle (make sure it has a high sugar level, natural or added).
2) Close the lid and let it ferment for at least 12 hours at room temperature.
3) After fermentation is complete (when bubbles quit floating to the surface), pour your beverage into another container and store your creation in the refrigerator until chilled.
4) Cheers! Enjoy your beverage in one of our mugs!
*Adding ½ cup to 1 cup of regular table sugar and increasing the fermentation time will increase the percentage of alcohol by volume (ABV) up to 14% ABV. We recommend staying under this percentage of alcohol for the beads to perform as intended.
How to Clean
1) Use COLD WATER to rinse and a cold soapy sponge to remove any residue.
2) Fill your Bootlegger Bottle with cold water and allow the BioEx Beads to soak for 20-30 minutes. (Use the provided sanitizer pouch every 5th or 6th batch.)
3) If the sanitizer was used, repeat the cold water rinse.
Do NOT put your Bottlegger Bottle in the dishwasher or use hot water to clean it - hot water will damage the beads!
How to Store
If you're not planning on using your Bootlegger Bottle for a couple of weeks, fill it with water, stir in some sugar and put it back in the refrigerator. Before reusing, soak the Bootlegger Bottle with the sanitizer solution for 25 min. Continuous use and storing with sugar will keep your BioEx beads happy, and the Bootlegger Bottle going strong for up to five months. You’ll know when the BioEx Beads are no longer working when you no longer see fermentation bubbles.
A Proven Process
We currently have the Bootlegger Bottle in the hands of over 30 product testers (Ruckus Rebels) across the Pacific Northwest. They have been compiling and reporting very useful data on recipes, product design, and functionality. For our initial prototype, the reception to the Bootlegger Bottle's versatility has been outstanding; the technology behind the BioEx beads is innovative to the industry, and WORKS in this application. With the BioEx technology being tested by multiple microbreweries, the Ruckus Rebels, and interest coming from wineries, the Bootlegger Bottle can put you on the front lines of the fermentation revolution.
A Bootlegger Bottle recipe book will be included with all bottles sent out. This book has a compilation of recipes created "in house"and by our very own Ruckus Rebel product test group. Some of the recipes have been posted on http://www.ruckusfermentation.com/bootleggerbottle.html as well as the product test Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/459427577506397/
The $250 reward level named "the Ruckus Rebel" makes you a member of our product test group. This includes a prototype shipped to you, so you are able to use it and come up with your favorite recipe to include in the final recipe book sent out post production (March).
The Ruckus started with two guys from Idaho. The technology behind the Bootlegger Bottle and BioEx Beads was the brainchild of Tushar Jain, a University of Idaho doctoral engineering student. Tushar enlisted the help of University of Idaho business student, Josh Riley, to build a business plan around his breakthrough, proprietary fermentation process. Building on their success as winners of local and state business plan competition, the team competed in national and worldwide business plan competitions.
After pursuing initial funding, the team founded Ruckus Fermentation, hired a Brand Manager, and moved to Nampa, ID. This Kickstarter project is the launch of the first product to utilize this new technology.
With the money raised from this Kickstarter campaign, Ruckus Fermentation hopes to take the Bootlegger Bottle and BioEx Beads from prototype to production. Additional funds raised beyond the goal will be used to market the concept and spread the word about this innovative technology. By donating to this project, you are supporting a product invented, designed, packaged, and shipped in the USA.
Our patent-pending technology can be applied to any yeast strain, and thus, many different markets. Applying this technology to beer, wine, and liquor processes will take time and money, making Kickstarter a fantastic opportunity to realistically reach our growth goals. That is why a portion of the funds we raise will go to researching other market applications.
We have already started studies in craft beer making through homebrewing and Sawtooth Brewery in Ketchum, ID. We are getting amazing results, and the benefits are as diverse within a craft beer application. Breweries can optimize processes such as shortened primary fermentation times or increase batch yields 10% to 15% . Homebrewers will save a pretty penny by reusing the beads constantly for 5 months and reducing the likeliness of contamination (one of the biggest deterrents of homebrewing).
Wine and distillation applications are markets we have yet to research at this point of our growth model, but the potential in increased productivity and fermentation control has captured the interest of many businesses and a few investors.
Although this product contains no alcohol, the fermentation process will result in the production of alcohol. Please ferment responsibly and follow your state’s homebrewing regulations to ensure compliance within the law.
Our dream is only possible through you! This has been upwards of a two year project for us, and recent developments have led us to this point. A successful Kickstarter is the path to a great technology being readily available to the market.
Risks and challenges
1. Our very first exercise is refining a production system. We make the beads in house with custom built machinery, which is a risk in its own due to the time it takes to get unique parts manufactured. It will take the next few months to engineer and construct an automated bead maker to handle the production capacity that will satisfy our goals. We have a specific strategy for our production cycle, and are excited to put it into action!
2. Depending on the level of demand for the product, orders may have to be processed in waves, with an established delivery date for shipping.
3. Keeping our product in the hands of those that are of legal drinking age. DISCLAIMER: Homebrewing laws are different from state to state, please check your local rules at our website or the hombrewers association website.
We have a product test group that has come up with many of the answers you will immediately have, you can see the group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/459427577506397/.
There is more information on our website, and we are quick to respond via twitter or email.
It's as simple as pour in fruit juice, wait at least 12 hours, and enjoy. Rinse & Repeat.
We will provide recipes that have been tried and approved so that your first few experiences will be awesome! However, we want you to venture out... try something new and creative. Try fermenting different sugars and different juices for different fermentation times.
Simple guide to change your results:
1. the amount of sugars
- By adding more fermentable sugars to the drink, you are raising the alcohol content
- Fermentable sugars are sugars broken down to a simple level so the yeast can eat quickly
- You can make complex sugars fermentable by dissolving or boiling them in your liquid
- sugars can come from different sources: table sugar, brown sugar, concentrates, honey, agave nectar, syrup, malt, maltose, glucose, and more
- If you get a very bitter and yeast flavored drink, this means the yeast ran out of fermentable sugars to eat, and it started to break down the complex sugars that make up your flavor. By adding extra sugars, you can consistently control the flavor and alcohol content.
2. fermentation time
- fermentation time is directly related to the level of fermentable sugars in your beverage
- the more time your drink ferments, the higher the alcohol content
- with a high sugar level, your can reach 13-14% ABV when increasing the time fermenting
- if you "over ferment" for too much time, the beads essentially run out of food and you get a yeast flavored, and often bitter drink depending on the type of juice you ferment
- you want to match your fermentation time with the amount of sugar added to reach specific flavors and alcohol contents.
- we do not recommend fermenting past 14% ABV, as it will affect the lifespan of the yeast
Our final prototype will have a replaceable part containing the beads, so after the beads run out of juice (pun intended) then you won't have to buy an entire bottle, rather, just the replacement part.
Pledge $5 or more
"Tip of the glass" - A virtual Cheers! Thanks for the support.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
"The Mug Club" Start your collection off right with two branded mason jar mugs and coasters to match!Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $40 or more
100 backers All gone!
"The Early Bird Special" Be the first to get a Bootlegger Bottle at a one time special price, just for being first. Coasters and decals included.Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $50 or more
"The Bootlegger Bottle" Your support will get you (1) Bootlegger Bottle. Remember, it's reusable at least five months, so brew strong. Coasters and decals included.Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $50 or more
INTERNATIONAL BACKERS: We're going international with the Bootlegger! You get a Bootlegger Bottle, coasters, and a recipe book. Happy New Year!!Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $70 or more
"The Full Package" includes (1) Bootlegger Bottle with (2) branded mason jar mugs and coasters. Everything you need to show off your creative concoctions!Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $250 or more
19 backers Limited (1 left of 20)
The "Ruckus Rebel" official product test club!! You will immediately get a Bootlegger Bottle Prototype shipped to you AND the final product when we start our production. To show you're a true Rebel we will send you an exclusive T-shirt, mason jars, and coasters. THE BEST PART... send us your favorite recipe (don't forget to name it!) and we will include it in our recipe book- which will be shipped with the final product!Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $500 or more
0 backers Limited (5 left of 5)
THE ULTIMATE HOMEBREWERS PACKAGE: You will get everything from the $250 reward PLUS a full setup for your homebrewing operations! It includes a 6 gallon food grade bucket equipped with enough beads to CHUG through a 5 gallon batch of wort, 24/7 contact with us for training/questions/comments, and your choice of yeast strain among a variety of choices. We will also guarantee the vitality of the yeast beads for a 1 YEAR, so keep calm and brew strong!Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $2,500 or more
2 backers All gone!
PARTY PACKAGE: You will join us for a day of fun making beads, brewing, tasting, touring, and having dinner with the owners of Ruckus. You will take home 8 Bootlegger Bottles for your friends back home, a homebrewing kit equipped with beads for yourself, and we will throw you a tasting party before you head back home. (Travel not included)Estimated delivery:
- (45 days)