Since our last update there were two publications on our blog.
The first one refers to an example where the capability of two inputs and two outputs on Red Pitaya was used. Scripts, tools and explanations were provided for the generation of Lissajou figures. Would you dare generating curves like this one?
It may be easier by starting with the script provided and addressing the variations of parameters as described in the "recipe".
Next, if you are interested in winning a Red Pitaya, yesterday we announced an award:
You may find the announcement, conditions and rules HERE. Quite a few persons proposed their ideas since the announcement, gaining the first votes already.
The above question had been asked soooo many times during the design of Red Pitaya. It only took us one apparently obvious but not so easy and simple thing to do. It was not problem to give it to someone and let him/her try it. It was hard not to explain and get involved in the game. The only thing allowed was – to watch and listen.
Below you can have a peek into how we were actually doing the “bug tracing”.
Yes, it seems we have to be more specific about this network cable. And more clear about the network attached instrument.
Thanks Kevin, Thanks Michael. And thank you for backing us.
ps.: Next blog (you may expect a bit more technical blog at teh end of the week)
We thought to focus on technical topics sometimes. So this is a short version of the update, published a few days ago on the Red Pitaya web page.
It is always a pleasure to see people finding ways to use tools like Red Pitaya. On the Red Pitaya Comments page Guillaume reported about his quick one-hour project – calling the Acquire function from LabView. It works just fine. So now Red Pitaya can be run from LabView. Excellent! And thanks Guillaume for sharing! The mastered tools are always the best.
Why not continuing in a more technical way today? A few posts ago we were mentioning Drew’s evaluation of Red Pitaya (VK4ZXI). As well as several other persons he made a point about sine representation being a bit squarey. Looking at it, well, the sine is a lot squarey, not only a bit!
The thing was that samples were shown just as they were acquired. Nevertheless, one can go further by PROPERLY interpolating the samples. We emphasize: it has to be done properly. Sampling theory says that a bandwidth limited signal can be entirely represented by its samples if sampling frequency is at least 2 times the bandwidth occupied by the signal.
In Red Pitaya blog we show the complete recipe about how to do the interpolation (works well with both, Octave and Matlab), shown from the very first steps. The procedure is commented for the example of interpolation of the 32 MHz signal.
The interpolation at sampling rate of 1.25 GS/s (!) in red, over the original samples shown with blue crosses.
This example also presents an effective method for prototyping and verifying new algorithms on Red Pitaya before their implementation at lower levels.
To make it easy, the scripts in full format, i.e. fully commented, are available in our source code repository HERE. One may either copy the scripts or alternatively download the complete repository from here.
What a mistake! Let's start from where we last left off: We shipped all the units.
When the last Red Pitayas from this batch were about to hit the road, we saw Stephen Casey's comment - “My Red Pitaya was delivered this morning.” For a day or two, things were rolling out smoothly.
From this side of the screen it was actually a lot of fun to read your comments. Some of you were frightened, still asking about the tracking number, while others were happily stoking the flame: “Got mine! Wow!”
We would normally put a picture here – but there’s no photo that describes the excitement, anxiety, and the atmosphere better than a simple screenshot of your Kickstarter comments:
And yes, well, we have to admit, there were a few slips – Murphy for example hid the SMA/BNC adapters of Mark's Red Pitaya, but then Mark's comment on the www.redpitaya.com support page was answered, and the problem was solved.
Hermann Fellner commented: “Received my Red Pitaya today. I must admit, out of every project I've backed, in terms of communication, product quality and even details such as packaging this has been - hands down - the most professional project ever. Great work!” Thanks! We thought it should have been done professionally, so we did our best. Even so, a comment like that, a tap on the shoulder, feels great. So thanks to everyone giving us feedback.
Once people got their Red Pitayas, they started to have a closer look at what it was, evaluating its performance.
There were comments and also inquiries via our support pages regarding the offsets and the calibration. The existing solution is not really user friendly, so for now we’ll describe it in the User’s Manual. Regardless, if someone wants to prepare a n00b’s script on how to do this calibration, we’d love for you to share it with the community.
Some rather detailed analysis is on the web – Henner Zeller goes into details on Google+, and you can find a link to Drew’s report in one of his comments on www.redpitaya.com. Not just praise, bugs too! Excellent feedback!
Additionally, while we noticed a few branches from our source code on GitHub, you asked us about the details of continuing the development of your own applications. This is why we have added and updated our instructions a couple of times.
In the next few days an even bigger modification of the Backyard is planned. And then we’d like to announce – wait! Not just yet – let’s build some anticipation. This announcement will be the topic of our next blog.
And we thought the job was done.
Thanks for being with us,
The Red Pitaya Team
(p.s. Together with some additional information this update is mirrored on www.redpitaya.com - Blog)