We are DasWyrd Press, and after our initial try to raise the funds for a print-run of our novel, we are back with a more reachable goal! Our debut novel is a story of Trans and Non-Binary heroes in an epic fantasy setting!
ThreeFold Seer is a new epic fantasy novel series with origins in indigenous Asian / Pacific Islander mythos with heavy cultural overtones of Pre-Colonial Americas. Our main characters are all primarily nonbinary and queer. The themes from our story are derived heavily from classical fantasy and the magical girl genre.
Those Apart tells the story of Queer individuals seeking justice under a world being overran by political and religious fanaticism.
"In the Shattered Crescent, Shaman command the elements, speak to animals, and commune with Spirits. The most powerful of them all were the Seers, but seventy years ago, they were murdered. Now three unlikely souls are about to find their lives changed forever. A Prince wishing to be their true self; a Whale-Rider born of a broken past; and a Shaman’s apprentice seeking adventure. Immortal witches hunt them, and kings demand their blood. All the while their destiny remains clouded in conspiracy. Only the Threefold power of the Seers can unmake the tragedy committed years before."
The Shattered Crescent is a world where powerful Shaman commune with spirits, and tap into the Elemental ferocity of primal Goddesses. These individuals are part of our new Shamanpunk centric storytelling. The stories are derived from non-European societies, and push forward trends that we can all relate to; but some trends, in fact, may be new to some.
The Crescent is filled with complex peoples, all with their own motivations, political systems, and ways of life. Ten entire languages were developed specifically for this project to give each nation a breath of life.
After the initial release of the novel on November 16th, we will be working hard at preparing supplementary material about the world itself. Free documents on the languages of the crescent, and much more!
Volume 1 has already been completed, and is published! Work on the second volume is currently in the early drafting stages, and is planned to be released either in the Fall of 2017 or the Winter of 2018. But, we still aren't able to do what every publisher dreams of to sell our book in a local indie bookstore! So, we would like to offer our fans the opportunity to purchase signed novel and support our desire for a limited print run.
The books from this run will be either given as reward directly to those who pledge their support, used for reviews of the book, and or sold at local indie bookstores!
Any extra funds retained from the project will be used to fund book events, but more importantly the costs of the next novel! After publishing Volume 1 we need money to keep the lights on!
DasWyrd Press has worked hard to provide high quality art for not only our ebook, but for paperback and hardback as well. We wanted our work to speak for itself, and its why we are offering a number of rewards for even small donations to our campaign.
- $1 | Mended Wing - Eternal gratitude from DasWyrd Press!
- $5 | Blessed Spirit - Everyone who pledges at least five dollars (or more) will receive a wonderful 4 by 8 inch print of the lovely hieroglyphic art done by Paola Tuazon. They will also be given a custom designed bookmark featuring art of our first Seer, Sik'anzi in her war regalia, along with character notes and information!
- $5 | Animal Spirit - Everyone who pledges this tier of at least five dollars (or more) may receive a digital reward rather than a physical one! This reward will include a zip file of the three formats of the Those Apart ebook in pdf, mobi, and epub forms.
- $14 | Warrior of the Two-Blades - For our Warrior Tier pledges will receive a hand-signed paperback novel from our print-run not to mention everything from the Blessed Spirit Tier.
- $24 | Elemental Chosen - Two hand-signed paperback along with personal thanks from the author! Bookmark and Art Print included!
- $29 | Shaman of the Elements - A Hardback copy of the novel signed by the author along with the Art Print and Bookmark.
- $38 | ThreeFold Seer - A Copy of the Paperback and Hardback both signed by the author! An Art Print and a ThreeFold Seer Bookmark including a message of thanks from DasWyrd!
We have several stretch goals in mind with increased rewards to be added with each milestone!
- REACHED! $1,300 | The First 100 pledges of Blessed Spirit or higher will receive an Ebook edition of the novel!
- $1,500 | The First 20 Pledges of Blessed Spirit will be gifted with a 11 by 17 inch poster of the world map!
- $1,800 | The First 100 Pledges of Blessed Spirit will all receive a copy of the World Map Poster.
- $2,200 | We will print another 10 copies of the Hardback and increase pledge limits on all rewards including the Hardcover as an option!
DasWyrd Press, LLC was founded an independent enterprise between two old Roleplaying buddies. From years of hobby games, and working together a strong bond was formed. Today, DasWyrd works to publish new diverse novels in order to spread our stories to a diverse audience, and build our credibility as a publishing house. We aspire to become more self-sufficient with each novel.
- Padraig O'C - Author of the book, and creator of the Shattered Crescent.
- Jay Varjassy - Structural Editor for the project. Andrea Khoo - Art director and beta reader.
- Lin Hsiang - Cover Artist.
- Paola Tuazon - Internal Page Artist.
- Karin Wittig - Map Artist.
- Dr. Robin Aspman-O'Callaghan - Copy-Editor.
- Cathleen Bell - Primary Beta Reader.
- Phillipa Peall - Primary Beta Reader.
"When Padraig offered me to do the internal images for the book, I was thrilled. Very rare are Asian/Pacific Islander mythos explored among fantasy stories and being able to contribute to such endeavor is amazing. Style-wise, it was a challenge for me to illustrate a narrative into a single image, but with the vivid portrayal of the scenes, weaving them together proved to be a fulfilling feat."
-Paola Tuazon, Internal Artist
"A riveting, spellbinding story. That shows one that one's life/identity (could not decide which one) is valid - no matter where you are from."
-Cathleen Bell, Beta Reader
"Sounds like you are already well on your way to creating an awesome publishing company. I can’t wait to see what you accomplish."
-Dianna L. Gunn, The Dabbler
"When it comes to adventure stories set in a fantasy world with characters that are thought provoking and well expressed, this book will be a recommendation from my side. Tying up elements (hah!) of the story so neatly and each chapter fluently moving along the narrative, I liked it! Kudos to the writer and yes, I am waiting for the next one!"
-Ishani Bhattacharya, Review on Good Reads
Risks and challenges
Those Apart is our very first novel and it has been a long stressful journey to completion. Design for the book is complete and so is the initial release of the book! We, however, could use some funds in kickstarting our next project and inventory to send to reviewers.
Shipping across the United States will be free for everyone while shipping international will incur a $6 charge to cover costs.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)