Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if I pledge at the "Ymir" level after Balticon? What happens to my dinner with the group?
If anyone is generous enough to pledge at "Ymir" level after Balticon, we will talk to the donor to see if it is feasible to arrange a dinner with at least some group members at some point. If it proves impractical, we will at least do our best to arrange some sort of fun chat through Skype or gchat.Last updated:
Subtitling is one of many DVD extras that we would love to add if we get enough extra funds beyond the starting $7,000. Subtitling is a time-consuming process, however, so when we see what our total resource pool is we will think about subtitles and other possible extras and decide how we think it is best to use the money, to make the DVD as excellent as possible. It is technologically impractical to try to subtitle all the simultaneous lyrics for the big group pieces, so if there were subtitles we will do our best to choose which lines to title.Last updated:
How does it help to have a Kickstarter that ends June 16th for an event that's happening May 26th? You may not even know whether or not it's being funded when it's time for the performance.
That's true. We will perform the play either way, and we will film it either way, but the funds we get will determine how good a DVD we produce, and how good a CD. After the concert comes the time see what post-processing we can afford, to decide whether we have to produce something minimal, or whether, with the Kickstarter's help, we can have high-quality editing and mastering, have our director take his time to choose shots carefully to get just the right characterization moments, etc. The post-processing expense for a DVD is substantial, and can be even bigger than the expense of filming. If we don't get funds we will produce a minimal video to be shared with group members, but getting these kickstarter funds will let us produce something much better, something we can release on DVD and share, instead of a minimal skin-of-our-teeth production. Those decisions will be made after Balticon, when the Kickstarter closes. In addition, some of the money is also for the production of the CD, for which we want to be able to afford extras like recycled packaging, biodegradable printing, professional mastering, and a big fat lyrics book to include all the lyrics to the complex multi-part pieces that often have many sets of lyrics going on at once. The Kickstarter is also a way to let people pre-order the CD, and if we get the money in advance we can afford to produce a much better CD quality than we could if we had to pay the whole overhead out of pocket.Last updated:
Sure! We will be happy to put any text that fits, whether your name, a friend's name, a favorite quotation, or whatever you like. We are also happy to add your favorite excerpt from the Poetic or Prose Edda, in English or in the original Icelandic or both, and we even have fonts which match the medieval Icelandic handwriting used in the original manuscripts!Last updated:
Yes, for most thank-you items, we will make a PDF version available to everyone who pledges enough to receive that item. So if you selected the libretto, or a poster, you will get a digital version as well as a physical copy. If you wish, you may choose to receive only the PDF, or only the physical copy. This applies to the Futhark Mini-Poster, the Somebody Will Poster, the Norse Cosmos Poster, the libretto and the songbooks.
In addition, the special notes about history and mythology, being written by Ada Palmer to go in the libretto, will also be made available in an exclusive PDF to all backers at the $10 level and above.
And if we reach our $10,000 and $14,000 stretch goals, the poems about Odin and Loki by Jo Walton will also be shared in an exclusive PDF with all backers at all levels.Last updated:
We do not yet know whether we will be able to enable digital download of the video. If we do, it will be made available as an option to everyone who pledged enough to receive the DVD.Last updated:
Many of our thank-you items are not exclusives, because the excitement of this project is making things we can share with everyone. But some are exclusives. Here is a list of the thank-you items in order, specifying which are exclusives:
SHORT VERSION: Kickstarter exclusives include the PDF of the historical notes and the ability to suggest topics and vote on topics, the Futhark Mini-Poster*, the Your Name in Runes certificate, PDF access to Jo Walton's poems if we meet enough stretch goals for her to write them, and also, for high level backers, the ability to pick a topic for a note, a thank-you credit on the CD, advanced access to the music as we finish it, autographs and personal thanks on the songbooks, and the special things reserved for the very highest pledge levels. Non-exclusives include the digital download, CD, DVD, Norse Cosmos Poster, Somebody Will Poster, and basic libretto and songbooks, but if enough stretch goals are met then there will be special content in the libretto exclusive for backers.
1) Thanks on our website ($1+) is exclusive to Kickstarter backers.
2) If we reach our $10,000 and $14,000 stretch goals, all backers at all levels will receive exclusive PDFs of the poems about Odin and Loki written by Jo Walton. The Odin poem will also appear printed in the libretto long-term, and the Loki poem in a special version of the libretto only for backers (both will also appear in Jo's next poetry collection if they are written), but only backers will get the poems in a special advanced PDF.
3) The digital download of the music ($10+ level) is not exclusive.
4) All kickstarter backers at $10+ will also get an exclusive PDF of the historical and mythological notes Ada is writing for the libretto. These notes will appear in the libretto, which will be sold through our website after the Kickstarter ends, but only backers will receive this separate PDF. Backers will also get to suggest topics for notes, and vote on topics.
5) The physical CD ($25+) is not exclusive.
6) The physical DVD (%40+) is not exclusive.
7) The Futhark Mini-Poster ($60+) is a semi-exclusive*, and will be available only to kickstarter backers, and at our dealer's booth table at Balticon 2013. If we have a few extras, we may also sell them in person at future conventions, but the number will be strictly limited. Backers and backers only will also receive it in PDF form.
8) The Norse Cosmos poster ($85+), by Rob Snyder with plan by Ada Palmer, is not exclusive. The project of clearly visualizing the complex Norse universe is one Ada and Rob have been excited about for years, and we want to make it available long-term. Backers will also receive it in PDF form.
9) The Somebody Will poster ($85+) is not exclusive, since we use it as a fundraiser, and to promote enthusiasm for space exploration. Backers will also receive it in PDF form.
10) The libretto ($100+), containing the script and lyrics in a bound volume with explanatory notes, is not exclusive. If we meet enough stretch goals, however, Ada will write extra content to be included only in a special version for backers. Backers who receive the physical libretto will also have the opportunity receive it in PDF.
11) Your Name in Runes ($150+) is exclusive to the Kickstarter, and will have a personal note of thanks from the group.
12) Advanced access to the tracks as we finish them, and the Associate Producer credit on the CD ($200+) are exclusive to backers. In addition, all backers at this level and above get to pick a topic for one of Ada's historical notes. Backers will be invited to suggest three topics (numbered in order of preference) and Ada will write on one.
13) The two songbooks ($250+), one of our Norse sheet music and the other of our non-Norse sheet music, are not exclusives, but only the Kickstarter versions will be autographed with personal thanks from the group. Backers who receive them will be given the opportunity to have a PDF as well.
14) The special thanks and access that goes with the two highest backer levels ($500+) are kickstarter exclusives.Last updated:
When the time comes for us to send out thank-you items to our backers we will send surveys so everyone can let us know if there are any items you don't want us to include (every item we don't send saves us a little money, which we will spend on future performances). For those who pledged at higher levels but don't want some of the lower level items, you can also e-mail us, and we have a few special items not included among the normal thank-you items (like a bag and a mug with the "Sundown" joke cover and our woodblock Thorn rune art print on them) which we can swap in for other items for those who request it.Last updated:
Don't see the answer to your question? Ask the project creator directly.Ask a question