About this project
Concerned about Knocking out the SSDs?
Watch about a minute in and you'll understand why that's crazy.
The First C-Box Review is Live!
G33K 4L3R7: This video contains a lot of technical information.
Recommended SSD's for 4K Raw Recording:
- Digistor 1TB SSD 4K Professional Video Series (DIG-PVD1000, pre-formatted ExFat)
- Samsung 256 GB 850 Pro (MZ-7KE256BW, spacer required)
- Samsung 512 GB 850 Pro (MZ-7KE512BW, spacer required)
- Samsung 1 TB 850 Pro (MZ-1T0BW, spacer required)
- Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB (SDSSDXPS-240G-G25)
- Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB (SDSSDXPS-480G-G25)
- Sandisk Extreme Pro 960GB (SDSSDXPS-960G-G25)
- Product Review: Adam Garcia of Short Stop Studios has an in-depth and hands-on review of the C-Box System coming out soon.
- C-Box System Tours LA: Logan Miller of Lightproof Media will be accompanying Clifton Stommel to LA and the surrounding areas between May 25th and May 30th to get additional reviews and direct feedback from filmmakers. If you or someone you know has access to a CFast camera in/near LA and wants to test the C-Box System first hand, send us a message and we'll see if we can swing by!
- Regular Video Updates Coming Soon: Clifton Stommel will begin a road vlog for the trip to LA, for those interested in staying up-to-date on the C-Box System's tour.
- Global Shipping: Due to the interest and support from numerous countries around the globe, worldwide shipping has been added!
- Reward Updates: All production waves have been updated and are locked in. Ordering through this Kickstarter guarantees your C-Box at 35% off of the retail value of $499.95 (plus applicable taxes and shipping). First come, first served! The earlier production wave you order, the sooner your C-Box will arrive.
Key Benefits and Features:
- Truly Uncompressed Footage! This is not an external recorder quite like anything out there; it sends your camera’s highest quality footage directly to your choice of SSDs. External recorders require the camera to which they are connected to send a video signal which then must be encoded by the recorder. Most professional-grade external recorders will only handle up to 4K resolution footage, with a limited number of frame rate options, and some even require the purchase of proprietary SSDs. With the C-Box system you can record all of the frame rate and resolution options that your camera offers for internal cards, directly to external, non-proprietary SSDs.
- No Camera Modifications Necessary! The C-Box does not require any internal modification of any kind to your video camera. It’s truly “plug and play.
- Easily Attaches to Modern Rig Setups! With a standard quarter-inch screw thread, you can hook your C-Box to any tripod, lightstand, ball-mount, or magic-arm with that size thread.
- Use Any SSD You Want! Sustained write speeds for solid state drives varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and we’ll happily suggest our favorites; but you are welcome to use any SSD you want on the C-Box system. We do not require anyone to buy proprietary drives from us.
- Have Confidence in Your Data Rates! As of this Kickstarter’s launch, the fastest CFast card we could find boasts a maximum sustained write speed of 440MB/s, compared to over 500MB/s boasted by numerous solid state drive manufacturer’s highest-performing products.
- Draw Powered From Your Anton Bauer, V-Lock, or Wall-Mount Power Supply! The C-Box system comes equipped with a standard 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC female power port. Use this with any 5V 2A power supply and you’re ready to go. We recommend using at least 2 amps of power in order to ensure proper powering of device and all connected drives.
- Dual-SSD Bay! Plug in two of your favorite SSDs to take advantage of the advanced data-management options on CFast cameras which feature two CFast ports.
- Your Camera Can’t Tell the Difference! This means you can manage the C-Box system directly through your camera’s normal memory management interface. No need to handle multiple interfaces before shooting takes.
- Save Thousands! At the time of writing, we calculate a savings of nearly $4000 when using a retail-priced C-Box System and two pro-level 1TB SSDs compared to the retail price of eight pro-level 256GB CFast cards, and if you get your C-Box during this Kickstarter, you'll save even more!
Longer Record Times! Record up to 4 times longer, and swap media one-fourth as often, with the use of 1TB SSDs in place of 256GB CFast cards.
- First Wave C-Box Systems Arrive in August 2015! For those who have already pre-ordered select CFast cameras, this means a ready-to-shoot rig arriving all around the same time.
As more reviews become available, we will be posting them here!
A Little Info From The Stress Tests:
- During continuous filming sessions over an hour long (average of 3 hours of continuous activity), my SSD of choice - the Samsung 850 Pro 1TB - reached a maximum temperature of approx 30 degrees cooler than the specified safe operation range posted by Samsung. Additionally the same SSDs ran cooler in the C-Box system than they do inside of the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (2.5K version).
- Not a single frame was dropped or corrupted at 4K uncompressed raw 60fps when the camera was recording in dual card mode with Blackmagic's recommended SSDs for 4K raw recording
- Not a single frame was dropped or corrupted at 4K raw 80fps when the camera was recording in single card mode with Blackmagic's recommended SSDs for 4K raw recording (Note: 3:1 compression is the highest-quality option the Ursa offers at this frame rate)
- The C-Box System successfully powers via a 5V 2A cell phone charger, 5V USB port in a Lanparte V-Lock plate, 5V DC port in a Lanparte V-Lock plate, Blueshape's D-Tap to 5V 3A USB cable on an Anton Bauer plate as well as a Lanparte V-Lock plate, and even off of a 5V 2.4A USB port designed for iPads on a mobile backup battery (rated 22,400mah it powered the C-Box system for over 10 hours of continous activity)
Final Design Specs
By now you may have seen images and footage of our functional prototype, much of which is 3D printed. The final design is scheduled to be made of highly-durable and heat-resistant ABS plastic with a textured black plastic exterior plating for a comfortable feel and a professional look. This is to keep the product as lightweight as possible, while retaining high durability in the field.
Let's Talk Stretch Goals
We've had requests for an aluminum plating system as well as a fully-aluminum build out. We are looking into these options, as well as some additional features. The official stretch goals and rewards will be announced as we approach our initial funding goal.
“What’s in the box?!”
This is What You'll Receive:
- One (1) Dual-SSD Bay C-Box System
- One (1) 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC to USB Cable
- One (1) 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC to DC Cable
- Two (2) SSD Spacers (for 7mm SSD’s)
- One (1) “I Helped Launch C-Box” Sticker
- One (1) User Guide With Special Thanks Information
What We’ll Use the Money For:
- Recouping R&D Costs: Product development takes tremendous time and expense to accomplish. Between numerous iterations and revisions of the C-Box system, as well as investment in numerous technologies to bring you the most functional and easy-to-use version of the C-Box system, we have spared no expense in bringing to you the very same product we intend to use on all of our current and future CFast cameras.
- Investing in Equipment for Future R&D: We’ve got big plans for the future of the C-Box and with the necessary funds we can implement even more changes. Part of this process includes gaining access to future CFast cameras as they are launched and ensuring that our product holds up to the standards of the CFast systems as they become implemented.
- Collaborating With Filmmakers: In order to ensure the best possible product for everyone moving forward and with future iterations/revisions of the C-Box systems, we’ll need travel funds to work with filmmakers directly to find out what industry professionals like yourself would like to see happen with this sort of product.
- SSD technology is still ahead of the CFast technology in sustained write speeds, and at a fraction of the price.
- Ordering through this Kickstarter means you get the C-Box system cheaper and sooner than you would through our website after this campaign closes (the C-Box system will retail for $499.95 + shipping).
- The first 106 C-Box systems ordered will arrive around the same time as many of our new CFast cameras. And the 200 ordered after those will still get their C-Box systems this year.
- Your support means additional development and an affordable transition into the CFast camera market for independent filmmakers.
Risks and challenges
We've designed this system and the manufacturing process to allow us to fill orders between 10 and 10,000 if need be; however part of the large-scale manufacturing option leaves us leaning on the local business and manufacturers that we've partnered with in order to keep the time frames listed in this campaign. In the event of a delay in manufacturing, we will keep our backers posted and up-to-date on any changes in delivery dates.
We understand that by investing in this new technology, you as filmmakers are taking a risk. Rest assured that this product has been stress tested many times over and we are confident in its stability. While we continue to put our equipment through stress testing, we will include updates if anything comes up.
Especially for those who place their orders in the third tier of the backing options, there may be delays in shipping (due to online Christmas shopping). Every C-Box shipped will be sent out with a tracking number to ensure safe delivery.
Each and every C-Box is fully tested before it’s shipped. If any purchaser ever receives a C-Box that is defective, we will immediately replace it for free within the warranty period.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)