About this project
ABOUT THE BOOK
The most ambitious, exciting winemakers in the world aren’t coming from Europe, or even Napa Valley. The focus of the wine world has turned to a former cow town that is now making the most coveted wines in the word: Paso Robles, California.
Many readers may have been introduced to the region in the Oscar®-winning movie “Sideways” (shot in nearby Santa Barbara County) . But for the last 20 years, ambitious winemakers have been making incredible, unique, delicious vintages that challenge everything we thought we knew about wine. They continue to turn the wine world on its head, and they're loving every minute of it.
My name is Julia Perez and I am a professional photographer from Argentina. I love wine and I am fascinated with winemakers. Over the last few years I have been fortunate to have taken photos of vineyards, wineries and winemakers all over the world. Last year I teamed up with legendary California wine writer Paul Hodgins and spent an entire vintage embedded with 50 of the most ambitious and influential winemakers and vintners in Paso Robles.
The result is "The Winemakers of Paso Robles", a large format, full-color book, lovingly crafted and designed to take you beyond the cellar door, deep into the art and science of making the finest wines in the world, and celebrating the men and women who dedicate their lives in this California region to the pursuit of liquid perfection.
Through nearly 300 pages, with hundreds of behind-the-scenes photographs and months of penetrating interviews, this journey into the world of Paso Robles winemaking provides an intimate glimpse into the passionate lives and unbelievable stories of the people behind Paso’s vibrant wine community – whose vision, talent and audacity have helped make it one of the world’s most exciting wine regions.
- Hardcover: Embossed Linen
- 11 x 14.5 inches Portrait
- ~300 pages
- French-fold jacket
- MSRP $119
LIMITED EDITION & VIP RELEASE PARTY
This beautiful book will be released in late April or early May 2017. Along with must! charities, we are offering a special edition of the book, STRICTLY LIMITED to just 100 backers. This edition has a special, silver-embossed clover, and will be numbered and signed by all 50 of the winemakers and vintners profiled in the book, as well as the photographer and author.
MEET THE WINEMAKERS! Backers of the LIMITED EDITION will also receive two passes to our VIP-only release party & tasting to be held in Paso Robles in April or May. This exclusive event will be held for these lucky 100 backers and the 50 winemakers only. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet some of the most innovative and heralded winemakers in Paso Robles - who make some of the most coveted wines in the world.
EVERY WINEMAKER & VINTNER HAS A STORY
An accidental meeting, a change of circumstances, an influential person or even a bolt from the blue in the middle of the night. Everyone has their own path that led them to a life of winemaking - a balance of art and science, physically demanding and mentally strenuous - lives of passion, and pursuit, and struggle.
To a winemaker, every vintage is its own discrete labor of love. A game of 3-dimensional chess against the elements, coaxing the perfect balance from the sun, the soil, rain and vine. If they get any one of a thousand decisions wrong, the vintage can be ruined and they have to wait another year to try again. But get it just right, and they’ve created magic in a glass.
In these pages you will meet a group of fascinating, passionate people, with amazing diversity. Athletes and scientists, writers and engineers, successful businessmen and scrappy service workers. There are journeymen from every corner of the country, and even legendary wine regions of the old world. And of course there are local kids done good. There are seasoned pros and relative neophytes - and several on their second, or even third career. Many overcame tremendous adversity. All have made enormous sacrifices and risked everything.
They have come from different places and circumstances, they have different methods and experiences and philosophies. But they all share a single quality: a burning obsession to make wine that lives up to their dreams.
OUR WINEMAKERS & VINTNERS
Each of the following subjects is profiled in detail in the book. Learn their stories and see them at work making some of the best wines in the world:
• Adeliada Vineyards & Winery : Jeremy Weintraub
• Alta Colina : Bob Tillman
• AmByth Estate : Phillip Hart
• Anarchy Wines : Christian Tietje
• Anglim Winery : Stephen Anglim
• Booker Wines : Eric Jensen
• Castoro Cellars : Niels Udsen
• Chateau Margene : Michael Mooney
• Chronic Cellars : Josh Beckett
• Clos Solene : Guilaume Fabre
• Daou Vineyards : Daniel & Georges Daou
• Denner Vineyards : Anthony Yount
• Desparada Wines : Vailia From
• Eberle Winery : Gary Eberle
• Ecluse Wines : Steve Lock
• Epoch Estate Wines : Jordan Fiorentini & Bill Armstrong
• Field Recordings : Andrew Jones
• Giornata & Broadside : Brian & Stephanie Terrizzi
• Halter Ranch : Kevin Sass & Hansjörg Wyss
• Herman Story Wines : Russell From
• J. Dusi Wines : Janell Dusi
• J. Lohr Vineyards & Winery : Steve Peck & Jerry Lohr
• Jack Creek Cellars : Doug Kruse
• Jada Vineyard : David Galzignata & Jack Messina
• Justin Winery : Scott Shirley & Justin Baldwin
• L’Aventure Winery : Stephan Asseo
• Law Estate Wines : Don Law
• Le Cuvier Winery : John Munch
• Linne Calodo Cellars : Matt Trevisan
• Lone Madrone : Neil Collins
• Niner Wines Estates : Andy Niner
• Onx Wines : Brian Brown
• Paso Port : Steve Glossner
• Peachy Canyon Winery : Doug Beckett
• Ranchero Cellars : Amy Butler
• Saxum Vineyards : Justin Smith
• Tablas Creek Winery : Jason Haas
• TH Estate Wines : Terry Hoage
• Tobin James Cellars : Tobin James
• Torrin Vineyard : Scott Hawley
• Victor Hugo Winery : Vic Roberts
• Villa Creek Cellars : Cris Cherry
• Villicana Winery : Alex Villacana
• Vina Robles Vineyards & Winery: Kevin Willenborg & Hans Nef
• Windward Vineyard : Marc Goldberg
Risks and challenges
The Winemakers of Paso Robles is completely written and photographed, a process that took more than a year and thousands of hours to finish. Our experienced book designers are hard at work and the full design is nearly complete. A reliable and experienced printer has been selected and is awaiting final approval to start printing. There are very few risks involved with this project - with the support of our generous backers we are very excited to release the book in April/May 2017.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)