In A World....
Where you can be anyone at all, the most genuine kind of hero you can be...is yourself. Masks: A New Generation by Magpie Games is an all-ages RPG that has created worlds, friendships, and stories. These stories deserve to be told. We have sourced the amazingly talented Masks RPG community to support, create, and distribute an RPG Zine that showcases the many stories of fans, players, story-tellers, artists, and game-masters.
We want to create a fan-created magazine supplement for Masks: A New Generation, that will add depth, inspiration, and new avenues for Roleplayers and GMs.
The Fan Favorite Zine will be 56 PAGES, and will include art, articles, and supplements for your Masks game. In the fashion of old-school zines, it will be 8.5" high by 5.5" wide, and it will all printed on white paper in shades of blue ink, allowing for depth.
If you plan on buying more than one print zine, that's fine, but please message me first so I can plan for it. These numbers are based on a slim budget in order to get this produced and printed.
- Fanart of teams and heroes
- Articles about running Masks for Teenagers, Big Group GM Advice, and the History of Masks
- Stories from fans about their characters
- Additional Moves for the core playbooks, Campaign Seeds, and a How-To guide for the MeRIT scholars from the Halcyon City Herald Collection.
- One Shot Modules, including a puzzle-based module, "Rook to G4," a special Homecoming Horror story and a villain redemption arc, "In Cold Pursuit."
- New Playbooks, including the Enduring -- what drives a superhero who has had their powers taken away from them to keep fighting -- and the Ascendant -- a beneficiary of destiny and privilege who must learn to respect the value of everyone and recognize their own faults.
- February and March: Final content collection, sending proofs to authors, collecting information, and generally waiting with baited breath.
- April and May: Printing, proofing, and changes.
- June and July: Shipping and processing
We currently have all the content and are finalizing layout, design, and credits! The Digital Zine will be delivered almost immediately after the Kickstarter ends.
We hope that we will be able to get Physical Zines out around May/June. We predict that July is the very latest we will send rewards, and will shoot for sooner, keeping everyone updated if this changes.
- The Digital Zine: 56 pages of delight and fun!
- The Physical Zine: 56 pages to pass around the table! Keep it as a reference, keepsake, or point of pride.
We are grateful that Magpie Games has thrown their support behind this project with both digital PDFs of their popular supplements and a set of physical books signed by the author of Masks, Brendan Conway.
These are all limited, and all include a physical and digital copy of The Fan Favorite Zine.
- Physical and Digital Zine + Halcyon City Herald PDF (5)
- Physical and Digital Zine + Secrets of AEGIS PDF (5)
- Physical and Digital Zine + Unbound PDF (5)
- GM for Hire - Linda will GM a one-shot game for you and three of your friends! (Up to four players.) Come with suggestions, pre-made teams, or start from scratch! Estimated at four hours per game. (4 slots available)
- Brendan Conway's Signed Set. All four hardcover books signed by Brendan Conway, writer and creator of Masks, co-founder of Magpie Games. Includes both the Deck of Villainy and Influence, and a set of Masks die. (1)
This budget based on creating 100 printed zines:
- 60% Printing Cost
- 10% Paying our Contributors!
- 20% Distribution
- 10% Kickstarter Fees
AT $1,800: UNLOCKED
Contributor upgrade - We will pay contributors $10 instead of the token $5.
AT $2,200: UNLOCKED
More books - We will open up orders for 100 additional copies of the zine.
AT $2,500: UNLOCKED
Contributor upgrade - We will pay contributors $15 instead of $10, and they will each get a copy of the physical zine.
AT $3,000: UNLOCKED
More Books - We will open up order for an additional 100 copies of the zine
AT $3,300: UNLOCKED
Contributor upgrade - We will pay contributors $20, and they will each get a physical copy of the zine.
From here we will likely just continue to open up more slots for physical copies of the zine. If we receive enough funds for a special upgrade, there will be a vote for what kind of bonus we offer.
We will adjust the number of books offered when we reach certain funding goals, or if digital support allows us to print more physical zines. As always, we're exceptionally grateful for the generosity, passion, and drive of all of our contributors and our fellow fans!
So who's running this thing?
This was a collaborative effort, supported by the Masks Discord Server, and headed up by one of the Mods - Linda Codega! (Who goes by linfin on the server.)
Linda is an avid roleplayer, aspiring game designer, and occasional cosplayer. She loves collaborative storytelling and role playing games like... a lot. She also writes short stories, articles about fandom, and is an editor for a speculative fiction zine. Email her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Danny Atwood, Jakob Collins, Henry De Vueve, Andy Hannon, Clarissa Hyun, Alice Jooren, Evan Kennedy, Kit La Touche, @LTTNCast, Von Marks Harrington Mahady, Melissa Matos, @Quorty_Warrior, Alexi Sargeant, Leah Libresco Sargeant, Anthony Scurto, @Spinal_Joe, Jack Reilly, Dirk van de Rijt, and Mike W.!
Special thanks to our cover artist @Lizz_Wizz!!
Risks and challenges
The biggest challenge is making sure that we release tiers of physical zines at a safe rate so that we don't overextend ourselves. This is a bit of prayer and a lot of math, but we are confident that we will be able to release as many physical zines as demand requires.
All our content is acquired, and our design is nearly finished! We have a printer lined up, and rewards solidified. All in all, we're confident that we can deliver a beautiful, well-designed, and fun-filled zine to all our backers.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)