The basic goal and five stretch goals are now funded.
As well as maxing out the 'zine (with ten new monsters and locations) the campaign has added two new A5 zine format books. Crypts and Things Black Hacked (Swords and Sorcery using the Black Hack rule-set as a base) and The Lost Lands of Grungamesh ( a new setting). All backers get copies of these at the level they have backed. If you have backed at a pdf only level you get in PDF. If you have backed at at POD +PDF you get a printed POD copy.
Also all backers will receive a PDF preview copy of our upcoming Beyond Dread Portals game, which allows you to play characters up to 5th level and includes an introductory adventure.
What is this?
Think of the Shroud as an invisible energy skin around Zarth, the barrier between worlds. When you step into the Shroud through use of Black Magic or through one of the portals left by the Ancients, you enter a twilight world that exists along side our own. Dark and nebulous, glimpses of the architecture and features of our own reality are found there. Time and space is fluid, and by travelling though the Shroud, a magician can appear to teleport from place to place in the real world, or go invisible. It is also possible via cracks and gates in the Shroud to travel to the Other Worlds.
From “Instruction on the Nature of Reality” by Magus Magnar, Chief Instructor of the Forbidden College.
From the Shroud is a series of fanzine format magazines for the OSR Swords and Sorcery game Crypts and Things, that look at the deadly dimension that surrounds the planet Zarth and some of the more horrific areas that are closely associated with the demonic Others who come from the Shroud.
Although written for Crypts and Things, this zine is suitable for any role-playing game which has a dark other world and/or uses original/1st edition fantasy-rpg rules (such as Swords and Wizardry, Lamentations of the Flame Princess).
Crypts and Things focuses on the Dark Fantasy Swords and Sorcery tales that 80s British Fantasy Role Playing Games and Adventure Game-books specialised in. So if you are familiar with old White Dwarf and Fighting Fantasy these are among my chief inspirations.
This issue takes the form of a 48 pages A5 black and white booklet, with black and white art by Jonny Gray (whose Death Rider graces the cover) and Dan Barker.
The contents are as follows:
- My Dirty Little Secret. A quick table of dark secrets that player characters can have, and probably wish they hadn’t, at character generation.
- The Pie Makers of Peoplolis. An adventure location in the Zarth’s City of Beggars (although they may have a franchise near you).
- A Strange Thing Happened on the Way to the Ruins. An encounter table of weird and wonderful non-player characters to liven up otherwise dull and humdrum journeys.
- The Place of Dark Hooks. The old lair of a foul Court Torturer, whose riches and secrets are said to lie in its depths. A full Crypts and Things mini-module, usable with any early edition D&D game even, 5th Edition pretty much as written.
- All Hail the Death Riders. They are death from above with these flying undead warriors, a new monster for the game.
- Prince of Rona. A demonic Prince of an Other World, fit to become the character’s latest Nemesis.
- Varna’s Travelling Caravan. Neil Shaw details this group of travelling merchants who deal with the mysterious and harbour a dark secret.
- A Love Like Blood. How having a lover affects the character in the fine tradition of Swords and Sorcery romances
What's this Kickstarter for?
A small amount of art required to finish off the 'zine and proof reading.
There are four reward levels, depending on whether you want issue 2 in PDF or POD format and two levels which allow you to pick up the previous issue 1.
- The Torchbearer (Issue 2 +stretch goals in PDF Only ) £3. This level gets you the electronic version of the zine and any stretch goals that fund in PDF.
- The Bold Adventurer (Issue 2+stretch goals in POD+PDF) £5. This level gets you both the electronic and POD print copy of issue 2 and any funded stretch goals.
- The Sword Bearer (Issue 1 + 2 +stretch goals in PDF only) £6. This level gets you the electronic version of both issue 2, the previous issue 1 and any funded stretch goals.
- The Champion (Issue 1 + 2 +stretch goals in POD +PDF) £10. This level gets you the electronic and POD print copy of both issue 2, the previous issue 1 and any funded stretch goals.
- The Tyrant of the Wastes (everything in print + PDF) £100. This level gets you everything , including stretch goals, in print + PDF sent directly to you and signed.
Please note, this Kickstarter will be the only opportunity to get From the Shroud 1 & 2 in print.
About Issue 1
Originally released two years ago, this small tome, A5 38 pages with black and white art, contains the following fragments of fear to bring your games to life.
- Achievements. A short system that sits alongside the experience system to reward characters for things they have done in their adventures, making them memorable events and useful benefits.
- The Secret of Skull Hill. A short adventure of mystery and otherworldly delights featuring the schemes of an alien parasitic race and their attempts to reunite the body and soul of their host god.
- By their Master’s Dark Command. The sad and short lives of Sorcerer’s apprentices revealed, and the useful things they become after death detailed.
- Exotic Liquid Relief by Neil Shaw. Is your character bored with quaffing bog standard Blackmire’s Best whenever they need to regenerate 1d6 Hit Points? Well Neil Shaw provides details of a variety of brews to make your character’s life more varied and interesting.
- Generic Life Events. This table is if you are overwhelmed by the sheer number of Life Event tables in the main rule book or simply after a OGL version you can base your own efforts off.
- Useful Items of the Kindly Ones. Minor magical items left behind by the gods who used to care about Zarth.
- Things to Find in Great Pots. A short random table for the harried Crypt Keeper for that inevitable moment when the players ask “so that pot you mentioned just now, what’s in it?”
- The Tea Party of Doom. A short encounter somewhere in the dark dismal woods with a crazy immortal Alchemist who has been playing with the psychoactive toads and their potential to provide tea.
Note this only had a print run of 23 hand made copies upon its initial release, and will not be available in print outside of this Kickstarter.
Stretch Goal 1 £500 Weird and Warped FUNDED
Ten new monsters from the Shroud, from malicious low level foot-soldiers to the high level Lords of the Shroud.
Stretch Goal 2 £750 Lost Locations FUNDED
Ten strange and malignant locations within the Shroud for your adventurers to find treasure and terror in.
Stretch Goal 3 £1250 Crypts and Things Black Hacked FUNDED
A zine format booklet of standalone Swords and Sorcery rules based upon the popular Black Hack ruleset.
Stretch Goal 4 £1500 The Lost Lands of Grungamesh FUNDED
A new standalone setting for Crypts and Things, Crypts and Things Black Hacked, and other OSR ruleset, in zine format booklet.
Read more about these two goals in this update
Stretch Goal 5 £2000 Beyond Dread Portals Preview Edition
All backers will receive a PDF preview copy of our upcoming Beyond Dread Portals game, which allows you to play characters up to 5th level and includes an introductory adventure. Tyrant of the Wastes backers will receive a spiral bound print out of the entire 1st draft.
The Crypts and Things Treasure Chest (£15 for PDFs and POD option)
Crypts and Things (C&T) is a Swords and Sorcery Role Playing Game based upon the Old School Rules of the 70s/80s. It also draws upon the British fantasy games and game-books of that period to bring a distinctly dark and dangerous feel to the game.
The Treasure Chest contains all the Crypts and Things: the main rulebook, Life and Death Zarth Edition, Tournaments of Madness and Death and The Tomb of the Necromancers. Purchasing the Treasure Chest gets you the PDF and the option to print at cost via drivethrurpg.com
For more information about the rule book and adventures visit
Adventures (£3 for PDFs and POD option)
If you want to get the adventures individually, Life and Death Zarth Edition, Tournaments of Madness and Death and The Tomb of the Necromancers are available individually at £3 each. Just add the amount to your pledge and tell me when you send in your backer's survey which modules you have added.
What does Print on Demand (POD) mean?
Backers who pledge for POD print versions (The Bold Adventurer/The Champion) will get access to a Print on Demand (POD) copy at cost via drivethrurpg.com.
What this means is when the print version of the book is ready, I will send you a voucher via email to an at cost version on drivethrurpg.com. You will then pay the production cost and shipping to your home as part of your order with drivethrurpg.com.
All the add-ons in print are delivered this way.
This means 100% of the backer money goes towards the project, instead of covering unexpected increased shipping or production costs when the project is finally finished.
Risks and challenges
The text for the 'zine is written and the majority of the art is already done.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)