EXTRALITE G2 is an innovative Camera Slider Family for video enthusiasts and pros from iPhone to HDSLR's. "Let's get cinematic!" Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on July 4, 2014.
About this project
Hi, thank you for checking out our Kickstarter project! Please look at the above introduction video (I know.. my performance in the intro is little poor, but promise we can do sliders better! :) study the project in details, become a backer and please, spread the word. In case you have any question contact us by Twitter, Facebook or by Kickstarter. Thank you for your support! Ed and Adrian
What is the Wood-Comp EXTRALITE Camera Slider family?
the big brother of all, for the larger HDSLR cameras such as Canon 7D, 5D mark 2-3.
See how quick and easy is to install the Magnetic Side-Support
Enjoy the benefit of a rock solid platform at a single tripod mounted configuration of the Magnetic Side-Support yet still perform your advanced slider moves by being able to tilt your tripod head.
This second demo video was made with the EXTRALITE G2 CF+ and CF+ R ( it was shot with the short version / 60cm variant.)
What makes the EXTRALITE G2 camera slider family special?
- They are probably the lightest camera sliders in there classes. This was achievable only by using premium materials of carbon as main rail and solid bamboo for the rest of the hardware. And when I say light i mean for instance, the EXTRALITE Classic G2 1m / 39.3 inch version only weigths 640 gram / 1.4 lbs !!!!
- Very smooth / fluid-like sliding performance across the entire rail, thanks to 8 EZO ball bearings (made in Japan), the CNC machined nylon wheels and specially polished carbon rails.
- If you go for the "R" version, you can enjoy the incredible benefit of the added production value of the auto tracking function.
- Notch-less all terrain legs for the easy and stable adaptation to any surface.
- Robust middle / centre support, so you can mount your camera slider on the top of your tripod virtually in any configuration.
- Magnetic side-support for the ultimate rigidity when mounting your slider on a single tripod! (no need to support on both ends for a stabled shot)
- Premium padded carry case to protect your investment.
- Multiple variants of sliders optimised for all different cameras with different length available so you can find the slider you need.
To achieve our goals regarding to extremely light weight yet not sacrificing on stiffness of the slider we had to think of materials which might not commonly consider for camera slider yet. Of course we all know carbon and its properties. Myself doing aero modeling 26 year now and we do work with carbon therefore i was familiar with it. Apart from years of experience I had to learn that for this sort of tolerances the raw tubular material is not suitable. I had to figure out how to process it to make it ultimatly smooth and constant along the full length. I know it worth the since I want carbon rails and nothing else!
For hardware, joining the rails, for centre support and legs I considered aluminium only for a very short time.. I wanted something lighter and yet just as strong. I came across solid-bamboo in an article. They have described it as the future material for structural parts. Bamboo is from the family of grasses, its not wood. The bamboo fibres pressed into blocks under heavy pressure of 2500-3000 tonnes! After this procedure this solid bamboo blocks become very hard and wonderfully machinable in our case with CNC milling machine to achieve the required shape and form. The surface finished with multiple layers of pure tung oil and finish it off with 2 coats of polyurethane, which hardens the bamboo and makes it look as if you poured liquid glass on it. Its not only beautiful but serving its purpose extremely well! The combination of this two premium material results in an unparalleled experience when handling the Wood-Comp EXTRALITE G2 camera slider. Imagine that the EXTRALITE Classic G2 1m / 39.3 inch version only weigths 640 gram / 1.4 lbs !!!!
About the Reward structure.
The list of rewards is rather long, but why is that really.. It's due to that all 3 sliders (Mini, Classic and CF+) are available in different lengths, as "standard" version with No rotating table as well as, "R" version With the built in rotating table in there carriage for this auto tracking function.
- 1# is the 1£ Pledge. Huge thank you for your support! You are very kind! £1
- 2# is for the Magnetic Side-support for 3rd party sliders. You might be happy with the slider you already own but would like to benefit from this great solution and add stability for your sliding shots when performed on a single tripod. £20 + £4 (postage)
- 3# EXTRALITE G2 Mini / 50 slider (short version) £159 + £10 (postage)
- 4# EXTRALITE G2 Mini / 70 slider (long version) £169 + £10 (postage)
- 5# EXTRALITE G2 Mini R / 50 slider (short version - with auto tracking function) £196 + £10 (postage)
- 6# EXTRALITE G2 Mini R / 70 slider (long version - with auto tracking function) £206 + £10 (postage)
- 7# EXTRALITE G2 Classic / 60 slider (short version) £215 + £20 (postage)
- 8# EXTRALITE G2 Classic / 80 slider (medium version) £225 + £20 (postage)
- 9# EXTRALITE G2 Classic / 100 slider (long version) £235 + £20 (postage)
- 10# EXTRALITE G2 Classic R / 60 slider (short version with auto tracking function) £271 + £20 (postage)
- 11# EXTRALITE G2 Classic R / 80 slider (medium version with auto tracking function) £281 + £20 (postage)
- 12# EXTRALITE G2 Classic R / 100 slider (long version with auto tracking function) £291 + £20 (postage)
- 13# EXTRALITE G2 CF+ / 60 slider (short version) £292 + £20 (postage)
- 14# EXTRALITE G2 CF+ / 80 slider (medium version) £302 + £20 (postage)
- 15# EXTRALITE G2 CF+ / 100 slider (long version) £312 + £20 (postage)
- 16# EXTRALITE G2 CF+ R / 60 slider (short version with auto tracking function) £348 + £20 (postage)
- 17# EXTRALITE G2 CF+ R / 80 slider (medium version with auto tracking function) £358 + £20 (postage)
- 18# EXTRALITE G2 CF+ R 100 slider (long version with auto tracking function) £368 + £20 (postage)
- Your selected EXTRALITE G2 camera slider. (when you select your camera slider, think of Mini, Classic or CF+, than length and also if you would like the "R" variant with its built in rotating table for auto tracking your subject / talent.)
- Magnetic side-support
- Premium padded carry case
- User Manual
- 1 Year Limited Warranty
- 2013 June - Beginning to make initial drawings and just playing with different ideas.
- 2013 July -Begin to work on SolidWorks and design the parts after drawings
- 2013 August -Design complete and starting prototyping. Sourcing materials and suppliers for CNC milling, etc.
- 2013 September -Working prototype ready for all 3 version of sliders including there "R" variant.
- 2014 February -Real life tests of the now final EXTRALITE G2 camera sliders. Re touching parts, finalizing mechanical solutions.
- 2014 Jun - Starting KICKSTARTER campaign.
- 2014 July - KICKSTARTER complete
- 2014 Aug - Manufacturing, assembly, testing and packaging rewards.
- 2014 Aug/Sept - Shipping of rewards.
Thank you for reading that long! We hope you like our project and if so, please back us, let your friend known about this truly great camera slider. We thank all your support and we thank that you are with us to bring this dream of ours to life!
Risks and challenges
We looked at all aspects of the challenges and there is a few which is generally likely at making a Product. Source of RAW material, Manufacturing, Quality control during the making of individual parts, Assembly, Individual tests of sliders prior to shipping and Shipping safely in time.
Of course there is more to it, but this are what we must focus on primarily.
During moths of prototyping the sliders and there components, we met some incredible people just by chance. Now, we see the full picture in regard to how it all can come together. We gathered together a great team of companies and individuals whom we are very confident to work with. It is not easy to find the right partners and most of all People who understand and share the passion driving us on this incredible project!
We are very confident that we can deliver on our promises and ship your beautiful, individually tested EXTRALITE G2 slider within the shipping date we set. Since the idea came to start this project on KICKSTARTER we sad one thing. We wanna be open and hones to our Backers, as this is the least minimum.
In case of any difficulties we experience we will contact you all and fill you with the details. However, we made multiple tests and prototype parts with multiple companies and we still maintain a great relationship with them. They are accessible and in case of difficulties we can approach them to over take the particular part from our primary maker.
Luckily, Ed and I we bought have experience and good understanding of this sort of a pressure.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (35 days)