Gamebooks meet collectable card games! Choose your path, gather powerful magic cards and cause havoc across time and space. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on on .
About this project
** Please spread the word - this is very important in helping us meet the goal **
What is Goblin’s Bounty?
If you enjoy gamebooks or collectable card games, then you will love Goblin’s Bounty. If you are into both then this Android game will be your dream come true. Goblin’s Bounty combines the storytelling of a gamebook with deep strategy elements of a collectable card game.
The gamebook aspect of Goblin’s Bounty means that you can explore different worlds at your leisure and forge your legend as a hero among goblins. The innovative combat system is based on collectable card games where you can collect weapons, armour, spells and creatures and use them against your adversaries in magical duels.
We have been developing the game engine for a year and are working hard on Goblin’s Bounty now; we want to bring you very high quality illustrations, slick user interface, open ended gamebook quests, interactive map (currently being discussed) and finely balanced gamebook-card combat integration. The code and framework is in good shape as you can see in the video, but there is still work left to do mostly with art assets, AI, performance, writing, testing and plenty of polish to make it a comic-fantasy gamebook like no other! Our goal is to release Goblin's Bounty with very high production values.
Story and Gameplay
Have you ever just wanted to kick back and relax but couldn’t because you had to take the trash out?
Goblin’s Bounty is like that. Except instead of kicking back and relaxing, you’re scrabbling around in a cave for gold. And instead of taking the trash out, you have to prevent a mysterious mechanical beast from destroying your land. Isn’t that the job for real heroes, I hear you ask? Chivalrous armoured knights with shining swords, powerful fireball flinging wizards and clerics who can call down the power of the heavens? Yes it is. Except you’ve just killed them.
Goblin’s Bounty takes you and your warty goblin companions on a journey that spans different dimensions on a vital mission to protect your homeland. It will feature open ended exploration of time and space as you and your anarchic goblin friends travel in order to save their land.
Goblin's Bounty Features Summary:
- Your choice affects how the story progresses.
- Novel approach to interactive storytelling; your previous actions affect what happens at locations when you revisit them. The world will be open ended, you can backtrack with significant freedom to explore.
- Determine the outcome of magical duels using turn based card combat with AI opponents instead of rolling dice.
- Tailor your card deck to create the optimal spell and weapon combinations for the many battles ahead.
- There will be plenty of cards to find throughout the game (50+) so you can tailor your deck, but you will only be able to take about 24 during combat - to make the battle feel less random and more strategy driven.
- Visual feedback on damage rolls and damage bonuses, and decent information on what effect the cards will have during combat.
- Focused damage rolls and damage variations for specific cards and many classics such as the wand of recall or magic missile.
- Experience points and power gained as you advance.
- Fantastic fantasy artwork throughout in full colour.
- Original fantasy atmospheric music and sound effects accompanying the illustrations and cards .
- Play in bite-sized chunks; your progress is saved at every step so you can continue from exactly where you left off playing last.
- The game will auto-scale it's graphics and UI to HD for large screen devices such as tablets
Most of the cards have been designed and tested! We have graphics for them as well but feel we can do better, and so we will be redrawing them in more detail and polish. You can see below a small subset of the cards that you will be able to discover and use throughout your adventure.
The card combat will be turn based. You and the enemy will have your own card decks and 5 cards each; both of you can play one per turn, after which a new card is drawn from the respective deck.
There will be 4 active effect slots that can be used for cards that last more than 1 turn: summon, enchantment, shield and curse. Only one effect per slot at a time can be used, for example if you cast another summon whilst you have an existing one in play, the existing summon card will be replaced. This plays part of the cards strategy; do you wait until your active effect is due or do you replace it... that's a choice you will have to make
The cards are divided into weapons, spells, enchantments, curses, shields, potions and summons. Here is a small taster of the cards that will be featured (please note we plan to redo lot of the graphics to higher standard).
We will reveal more around the card combat in the near future, and we really hope to get your input and ideas.
Yzat knows his way around the caves and none can go faster than him. He is renown for his reliability. No matter how perilous the situation is, he can always guarantee that he will be running away from it as fast as he can.
Wokka is the brains of the outfit and if you tell him enough times, he might start believing it. Without Yzat's speed or Plog's muscle, you had to give him something to do. Wokka's inventive traps and ability to fix mechanisms never fail to surprise you with the myriad ways in which they go disasterously wrong.
Plog is the muscle in your gang. If a rock needs shifting or a knight needs smashing, then he is the first one to get into the fray as long as he knows which direction the fray is in. Plog has a special kind of loyalty - he will always follow you as long as you dangle some lovely fried cockroaches in front of him.
A leader amongst goblins. A mighty warrior. A powerful shaman. You dream of being all of these things whilst you have to boss around three numbskulls, scrabble around dark caves for meagre amounts of gold and deal with a seamingly endless stream of adventurers who want to bash your head in. You wish that one day you will get to prove your worth against a great challenge. However, you may also come to regret that wish...
The goddess is worshiped and adored by all for her respect and love of all living things, so she is generous to our goblin friends to keep her reputation intact. She would rather have mighty warriors, powerful wizards and pious clerics to save all life but since there aren't any around, she has to scrape the bottom of the barrel to prevent the end of the world.
How will the money be spent?
We have done a significant amount coding for the Android platform, however there is a lot left to do in order to meet our high standards of where we want Goblin’s Bounty to go. Our goblins need your support to make this happen, your hard earned cash will go towards:
- Uber high quality in-game illustrations. Around 20 - 30 for the story and 50 - 60 for the cards. Each illustration will also be poster sized and we will be giving them out in full size as download rewards for our backers.
- User interface design and additional art assets to make everything super slick.
- Pizza for late night coding sessions.
- High quality music and sound effects; sample packs and additional music production software plugins.
- Further development for the card mechanics and AI.
- Purchase of Android devices to further optimise and test the game.
- Promoting the game through game conferences and other channels.
Our initial goal is to release on Android tablets and mobile phones, with a long term outlook to release on IOS (which will come at a later stage depending on a number of factors)
Releases and Dates
The aim is to release the game in Q1 2013 for Android. Slight delays can happen if we decide to put in more neat features or to add more illustration content than the original amount planned.
Our plan is to make this game run on the majority of Android devices (such as Samsung S3, S2, Nexus etc), but ballpark recommended tablet/phone specs are:
- Processor: 1000Mhz +. Dual/Quad core recommended. The game will work on lower specs but loading times/gameplay will be slower - and we have to draw the line at a point when it becomes too slow.
- Install space: around 30Mb - 50mb (install to SD supported).
- Screen size: tiny screens not recommended, the bigger the better.
- Access to Google Play/Amazon/Nook Store (we are awaiting confirmation on our Nook store account).
We will be fully reliant on the app stores for income (we will try to cover most major ones), as such we will be tied in with their licensing technology, however we will find a way to make the game free for our backers! Only 3 squids will net you Early BETA access and the FULL GAME when it is ready!
This game will just be the beginning of a bigger saga. There are plans for a sequel to Goblin’s Bounty where our unlikely heroes will be called upon again to protect time and space. Funding this project will not only ensure the release of Goblin’s Bounty but it will also mean that more sequels will be released.
If with some miracle our brave goblins manage to get past the original funding goal, there are additional things we would love to do:
- £4000: More expansive story with 400 sections instead of 250 - 300 and animated illustrations to bring the world to life even more.
- £8000: Animation of cards in addition to the illustrations, i.e. the actual card images on the cards themselves will be animated! Implementation of social-multiplayer element in the game.. we have some neat ideas around this one such as meeting online in certain locations or hubs in the gamebook and duelling with cards, or it could be a different online interactive experience like readers online being able to leave crumbs/tips in the gamebook.
- £10000: We will also build a gamebook editor - a separate app for which you can create your own gamebooks and deploy them through to our gamebook app on google play!
- £14000: A faster and definite release on IOS platform. This is a big one and would require significant development effort to port the game, estimated at around 6 - 8 months after the Android release. But we would LOVE to have the opportunity to bring this game to this platform. If we are to release on IOS, the multiplayer concept idea will have to be postponed.
- £20000: Release to IOS, PC, new features and ????
- we also want to investigate how we can do a hard copy publication, no promises as we are toying with this idea! it will be interesting coming up with ideas on implementing the cards - but this is something that can come at a later stage.
Who are we?
Emil Bakalinov is the founder of Attic Squad Games. He is a long time fan of gamebooks, loves developing games and eating super noodles. He is also a hobbyist music producer and has his own home studio (all music in Goblin's Bounty will be produced by him ). When not battling evil wizards and saving princesses, Emil works as an experienced software developer, designing and building software systems.
Stuart Lloyd has been a big fan of gamebooks for most of his life. He now writes them and also contributes to the blog Lloyd of Gamebooks. He is the lead writer and brains behind the Goblin's Bounty script and is assisted by Ashton Saylor with story and game design contributions.
We are very passionate about gamebooks as you probably noticed by now, and we are very keen to get your feedback and ideas throughout this project.
Risks and challenges
We have lot of the draft script done, 70% of the working prototype code done, a talented illustrator at the ready and a stockpile of jellybeans. Our code and art assets are backed up on external servers, so no dangers there. In other words, the risks that this project won't get completed are low. However, successful funding will result in a much higher quality release - most notably around the illustrations, user interface and fancy features, something which we can't do with limited funds.
What you saw in the video is our prototype baby which needs love and nurturing so it can grow into an awesome game. The more funding we get, the more innovative features, quantity and quality you will get. We are perfectionists and our ultimate goal is to push what is possible with the gamebook format, and most of all, to create an extremely fun and original game for you to play.
Thank you for taking the time to read our Kickstarter, please support us if you like what you see.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Please contact us and we will try to answer as best as we can.
THE GOLDEN GOBLIN AWARD.
A Big Thank You for your support.
We will keep you notified with exclusive details on progress and you will get a download of large high quality digital poster of a gorgeous full colour illustration, which you can use as wallpaper or print it out. You will also get exclusive access to early BETA as early as December 2012 and the FULL GAME when it is ready!Estimated delivery:
THE GRAND GOBLIN AWARD.
All of the above and download of 3 additional large high quality digital poster illustrations so you can go wallpaper mad, or print them out.Estimated delivery:
THE GOBLIN GRAB BAG AWARD.
All of the above and you will get 10 high quality digital illustrations as download.
You will also get a Goblin's Bounty live animated wallpaper for your Android tablet or phone with funky magic particle effects and layered moving planes of goblins, heroes and monsters. This live wallpaper won't be available on any app store, it is an exclusive item and will be sweet!Estimated delivery:
THE MUSICAL GOBLIN AWARD.
All of the above and you will also get the original Goblin's Bounty music album as high quality DRM free download, so you can tap your feet and shake some booty to fantasy harps and celtic flutes. The music will be produced by Emil - listen to the title song to get an idea on what to expect.Estimated delivery:
THE GARGANTUAN GOBLIN AWARD.
All of the above and your name will be in the credits as the founding supporter of Goblin's Bounty - a privilege any goblin would be proud of. We will also give you a secret magical code that will unlock a special card within the game... only available to shamans who know the magic word!Estimated delivery:
THE WANDERING GOBLIN AWARD. All of the above and a large high quality digital-download of the WORLD MAP illustration once it is completed.Estimated delivery:
1 backer Limited (1 left of 2)
THE GLORIOUS GOBLIN AWARD.
All of the above and we will name a minor character after you! It could be a demon, a rabbit or a tadpole, it is completely down to us, your name will be immortalised in a magical book.Estimated delivery:
1 backer Limited (1 left of 2)
THE GORGEOUS GOBLIN AWARD.
All of the above (minus THE GLORIOUS GOBLIN AWARD) and we will name an enemy after you! It could be a giant demon or an evil rabbit with glowing red eyes. You can work with us on creating this opponent and your name will be immortalised in a magical book. We will send you a full size drawing as well.Estimated delivery:
1 backer Limited (3 left of 4)
THE ARTISTIC GOBLIN AWARD.
All of the above minus, GLORIOUS, GORGEOUS and AWARDS.
Send us your idea or sketch, and we will draw a large high quality digital drawing for you.. we reserve the right to refuse to draw something if we deem it unreasonable. (no naked drawings of the goddess for example).Estimated delivery:
0 backers Limited (4 left of 4)
THE BLISSFUL BOUNTY AWARD.
All of the above minus GLORIOUS, GORGEOUS and ARTISTIC AWARDS. Work with us to develop a new card! We will do our best to make your vision become reality - the card can be a spell, weapon or a potion and will need to fit the general theme, concept of Goblin's Bounty and function within the realms of what is possible within the existing rules (there is a possibility that the card can also come as an update to the game after go live). We can name the card after you, if you have a cool sounding wizardlike name, for example Baltar's Death Ray.. however Jim's Meteor Storm might be bit of a hard sell.Estimated delivery:
0 backers Limited (1 left of 1)
THE BENEFICIENT BOUNTY AWARD.
All of the above apart from GLORIOUS, GORGEOUS, ARTISTIC and BLISSFUL AWARDS.
We will arrange for you to go on a date with the Nature Goddess, Yeah!! ... ok, maybe not, but you will get to work with us on an alternative ending! We will do our best to make your idea become reality (this can include new card, enemy, location)- it will need to fit the general theme and concept of Goblin's Bounty and be within reasonable scale of about 10-20 sections (this ending will likely be an update to the game after it's release). You will get your name in the credits as someone who did the alternative ending.Estimated delivery:
0 backers Limited (1 left of 1)
THE GOBLIN AUTHOR AWARD
All of the above apart from BENEFICIENT, GLORIOUS, GORGEOUS, ARTISTIC and BLISSFUL AWARDS.
This is the ULTIMATE award. You will get a huge thank you in addition to 2 weeks working with us to develop your own mini Android gamebook!
* 30 - 40 written sections of reasonable length - done by you.
* 1 frontpage illustration that we will draw for you according to your spec (within reason)
* 5 Illustrations that we will draw for you according to your spec (within reason)
* 10 battles with different enemies.
* It will use the music from Goblin's Bounty
* Using existing cards from Goblin's Bounty and existing code framework (i.e. no new code features or new mechanics)
* It must contain content that is suitable for 12 years and above.
Once development is completed, we will give you your Android game (directly - i.e. we will not be in charge of deploying to App Stores, etc), and you can do whatever you fancy with it - you can deploy it to Google Play or send it to your friends directly. It will have your own branding and will not be affiliated with Attic Squad.
All of this will have to be done within reason and completed within a 2 week period - so we won't be able to accomodate changes and revisions after this.
Please note that this is purely for fun, we reserve the right to decline an idea if we think it will damage the reputation of Attic Squad, and we will be unable to provide future support in any way once we give you the work.Estimated delivery:
- (40 days)