This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Mon, January 7 2019 5:28 AM UTC +00:00.
Beyond the reach of roads, past the scope of mortals there is a darkened place. A shadowed tree-line where no-one dares cross and whose boundaries go undisturbed.
This is not the woods of peaceful fey and beast, but the dark and twisted children’s tale that kept you full of terror. It is a world of fear, madness, and bloodshed; ruled over by the uncaring watch of ancient trees. There is no bargaining with the primal forces that rule the uncivilized world, as you have nothing they could ever want.
The woods do not care for you. Never forget that.
Into the Wyrd and Wild is a supplemental book for those seeking to incorporate a weird and terrifying wilderness into their role-playing game. Players and GMs who enjoy a level of horror and prefer the sweeping, darkened landscapes of forest and mires to the well-trodden cobblestone of dungeons need look no further when it comes to books. Presented within the book is a light overhaul of the adventuring system, modified to fit better with a campaign centered around forays into the frightening wilderness.
In addition to stocking the area with new monsters and set pieces, Into the Wyrd and Wild is also an attempt to increase the playability of the wilderness. Rather than have the wilderness remain a place along the way to a dungeon, it seeks to make the wilderness a dungeon in itself. Included in this is an essay on design theory as well as a way to easily and randomly construct a wilderness dungeon.
The book contains a variety of information for both GM and players alike. For players there is a vast array of strange items and artifacts, each embodying the haunting and feral nature of the Wyrd and Wild. There is also a section devoted to spells, specifically, Wyrd magics that may be just as deadly to the caster but offer great and terrible powers if they choose to harness it. Finally there is a list of the odd and useful floras that dwell within the wilds, plant-life that ranges from profitable and wondrous, to deadly and loathsome.
For GMs, this book contains every possible thing you might need to run a wilderness-horror themed game. Monsters that present unique and specific challenges to the player, while also being terrifying and lethal; simple rules for use in the Wilds that make gameplay both easier and deeper; unique factions that exist within the Wilds, for use or adaptation in a home game; and of course a plethora of tables for generating random locations, treasures, encounters, and more.
While the contents of Into the Wyrd and Wild were designed for D&D and the OSR, this book has been written to be as system-neutral as possible. This means that:
- Rules and stats are written bare-bone with the intention of being widely compatible.
- Enough information is given that a GM and player can easily adapt it to their own preferred system.
The book contains:
- Rules for wilderness travel and survival
- Rules for Moon Cycles and strange phases.
- Rules for hunting, tracking, and butchering monsters.
- 40+ dangerous and terrifying monsters.
- 40+ strange and savage items.
- 40+ spells and rules for channeling the Wyrd.
- An essay and guideline on running and creating "wilderness dungeons."
- A step-by-step guide for generating your own wilderness adventure.
- 100 random wilderness locations.
- Tables upon tables of random diseases, wilderness dressings, traps, hazards, flora, encounters, and MORE.
- All illustrated with over 150 pieces of original art.
Whether you are a veteran group looking to make a foray into the terrifying Wilds, or new to the hobby and looking to spice up your game, Into the Wyrd and Wild provides something for everyone.
$15 Into the Wyrd and Wild PDF
Into the Wyrd and Wild in PDF format, for those on a budget or who prefer a digital version of the book. Fulfillment will be through DriveThruRPG.
$25 Into the Wyrd and Wild Softcover
Into the Wyrd and Wild in a perfect-bound softcover book. The book measures 6 x 9 in dimensions and is printed in full color. The book is roughly 240+ pages, but may grow larger depending on if certain stretch goals are met. Also included is a PDF of the book.
$60 Into the Wyrd and Wild Limited Edition Hardcover
Into the Wyrd and Wild printed in a stitch-bound hardcover book. The book will be a limited run, and only made available through this Kickstarter and select venues. Also included is a PDF of the book.
$10 Drawing Edition add-on
For an additional $10 and only in a limited , Charles Ferguson-Avery, the main artist of his book, will sign and illustrate a personalized ink drawing in the front of your book! (Those who purchased from the Early-Bird Specials have this automatically included in their pledge FOR FREE.)
- $7,000 - New Monster (The Gluttonous "Vodyin")
- $8,500 - Second New Monster (The Sadistic "Puppet Sprites")
- $10,000 - Super-Special Grimoire Edition (Hand-bound and personalized copy of the book)
- $12,000 - Designer's Notes (The making of Into the Wyrd and Wild, available as a PDF)
- $14,000 - Digital Token Set of Monsters (For Roll20 and the like, available as an add-on)
- $15,000 - Custom GM Screen (Free as a PDF)
- $20,000 - Hardcover Artbook (As add-on or separate tier)
- $25,000 - Physical Cardboard Token Set of Monsters (Available as an add-on)
- $30,000 - Ambient Soundtrack (For use during home games and sessions)
- $30,000+ ???
As well, if all goes well, I will be offering distributor discounts and pledges if a certain amount of books are sold.
- 50 Softcover books sold - Softcover Distributor Pledge
- 50 Hardcover books sold - Hardcover Distributor Pledge
Risks and challenges
As with any project worth doing, I have my risks and rewards. This is my second major Kickstarter (the first being World War Occult), and because of that I am setting my goals for this project well within reach of the one to three man operation I have at my disposal.
The book printing will be handled by the well respected and trusted Steuben Press and Edition One publishing company.
Overall, I am incredibly excited to be working on this project and I look forward to seeing what you think!
- All gone!