Directors Salomon Ligthelm & Dan DiFelice join past collaborators for 'Anomaly' - a period drama exploring love, creation & the cosmos.
'Anomaly' presents a unique opportunity for you to get behind a team of film-makers and artists who are eager to depart from their normal high-art/high-concept work in order to be stretched into longer-form narrative content (approx 20-min).
Set in the late 60's, ANOMALY (working title) is the story of broken relationships, and an astronomical event intertwining the various narrative threads - an abstract interpretation of the historical Christmas narrative.
TEST, ARCHIVE AND REFERENCE IMAGES BELOW
Oliver Grier, a young astronaut on a mission to space; experiences the heartache and regret of a broken relationship. The film follows Oliver and his fiancé Haylee Lawson's journey, as they navigate love and disillusionment. During Oliver's mission, a long awaited astronomical event begins to take place - an event, predicted decades prior by scientist Noel Fitz, an elderly man whose theories have subsequently been disregarded due to an unstable mental condition.
The film is impressionistic, as we follow characters on their journey exploring the relationship between humanity, the natural world and the cosmos.
It is predicted that in the later months of 2013, Earth would be in for a once in a life-time celestial event known as Comet Ison - 'The Miracle Comet'. This is obviously very exciting for our team, as the timing couldn't be more perfect - coinciding with the release of the film, which is set toward the end of 2013.
This is what people are saying about Comet Ison.
- CNN - 'Welcome to the year of the comet' - http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/02/us/comets-2013
- ABC Science - 'ISON could blast Earth with meteor shower' - http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/04/24/3744227.htm#.Ubvd_67bZjA
- BBC - 'Comet ISON ploughs on toward Sun' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22728476
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC - 'One of Brightest in History' - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/09/120927-new-comet-2012-s1-ison-science-space-moon/
- THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL - 'Newly Found Comet Could Outshine the Moon' - http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/newly-found-comet-could-outshine-the-moon-121228.htm
Just to name a few.
REFERENCE IMAGES BELOW
'Anomaly' is set against the backdrop of the 'Space Race' of the late 1960s/early 1970s. The film will have a distinct brown/yellow/green + blue/magenta/beige colour scheme - synonymous with the 70s.
We will be shooting on the RED Epic and will be treating the film in post to give it a grainier, more filmic texture reminiscent of 1970s film stock - taking the 'analog' approach.
REFERENCE IMAGES BELOW
Along with the RED Epic, we will also be shooting some sequences with a Canon 814 Super-8 Analog film camera. The aesthetic and tonal quality of this camera will help 'sell' the period elements of the narrative. Our aim is to constrain many of the elements in the film to keep it logistically manageable, thus we will be using a myriad of archive footage from NASA and news networks to add scope to the film - this will be used practically in the film as background elements (TV, radio) to enlarge the 'Anomaly' world.
Many of these archival footage and image elements are available for use from the NASA Media and Archives Iibrary under the 'Creative Commons' copyright license.
ARCHIVE AND REFERENCE IMAGES BELOW
Production starts on the 1st of October 2013 and will run till the 14th of October 2013 in NYC, Maine and Colorado. We will start the editing process in the 3rd week of October, then handover the edit to Ryan Taubert for score, and Dan Difelice for VFX during the 2nd week of November, bringing the film to completion by December 15th.
This is a passion project for most of the crew involved. However, we need additional resources so that we can accomplish the following:
- Secure appropriate locations
- Secure acting talent
- Building and dressing sets appropriate to the era
- Assembling props and wardrobe for the cast
- Transportation, accommodation & feeding of cast/crew
- Gear Rental
- Promotional and marketing costs
TEST AND REFERENCE IMAGES BELOW
CREW & COLLABORATORS
This is the best part - we get to work with some of the most incredible people! Not only are they insanely gifted in their craft, but they truly are the most amazing people.
- Salomon Ligthelm - www.ligthelm.tv (Director/Writer/Sound Designer)
- Dan Difelice - www.campagn.com (Director/VFX Supervisor)
- Khalid Mohtaseb - www.wearevariable.com (Cinematographer)
- Jens Jacob - www.sypherfilms.com (Executive Producer)
- Matt Fezz - www.mattfezz.com (Colorist)
- Ryan Taubert - www.ryantaubert.com (Composer)
- Ryan Booth - www.ryanbooth.net (Photographer)
- Zach McNair - http://work.zachmcnair.com (Designer)
- Jeremey Fleischer - http://www.behance.net/jeremey (Designer)
- Renato Marques - http://renatomarques.com (VFX/3d Modeler)
- Justin Burton - http://www.justinburtonanimation.com (VFX/3d Modeler)
- Wesley Curtis - (Casting Director)
- Bradley Paul Growden (Location Audio Engineer)
- Brendan MacDevette - www.brendanlocations.com/Home.html (Locations Manager)
- Georgie Kelsey - (Screenwriter)
- John Cavalaro - www.thelume.tv (Sydney-based Producer)
- Rajeev Varatharajan - www.freshaesthetics.com (Marketing Consultant)
- Pam Rutherford - (PR Consultant)
- Luke Letellier (Maine Location scout)
- Robert Willington (Maine Location Scout)
- Pete Fullerton (Maine Location Scout)
REFERENCE IMAGES BELOW
PAST WORK & COLLABORATIONS
This won't be our first 'rodeo' together as collaborators. Here are some of our past work, produced independently and together.
'PATER NOSTER' directed by Salomon Ligthelm | 72K VIEWS
'A REFLECTION' co-directed and shot by Khalid Mohtaseb for Variable --- with Salomon Ligthelm (Editor) and Joseph Sciacca (Art Direction) | 80K VIEWS
'FINISHED' directed by Dan Difelice --- with Matt Fezz (Grade), Justin Burton (VFX), Renato Marques (VFX) and Salomon Ligthelm (Sound + Score) | 100K VIEWS
'HOLI' co-directed and shot by Khalid Mohtaseb for Variable --- with Salomon Ligthelm (Sound + Score) and Joseph Sciacca (Art Direction) | 2.6 MILLION VIEWS
'SILENT TRANSITIONS' directed by Salomon Ligthelm | 242K VIEWS
'DRY BONES' directed by Dan Difelice --- with Matt Fezz (Grade), Justin Burton (VFX), Renato Marques (VFX) and Salomon Ligthelm (Sound + Score) | 120K VIEWS
REFERENCE IMAGES BELOW
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
One of the most difficult challenges we face is depicting this film true to its period. The era needs to be ingrained in the film from the locations, wardrobe, and props, all the way down to the color grade. We are working with fantastic, committed artists who will bring a tremendous amount of skill & expertise to the film. However; it is possible that people might pull out for one reason or another, and we want to make sure that the project won't suffer in such a case. Our budget has made allowances for such scenarios, allowing us to pull in more resources if need be, so that we can bring the most authentic 'Anomaly' story to life.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.