About this project
Tiny Swords SMAAASH! is a cute and chaotic board game for 2-4 players. Inspired in equal parts by Earthbound, Super Smash Bros, and tile-sliding puzzle games, players lead their team of monsters into battle to kick their opponents off the board and out of the game! Like in Smash Bros, characters are trying to ring out their opponents and fly farther away each time they're hit. When tiles are face-up, they can move and fight, but can also be shoved around by other players, causing the whole game to change shape quickly. Keep your monsters on the board and be the last one standing!
Tiny Swords SMAAASH! is a spinoff of my first Kickstarter, the original Tiny Swords card game. Right after that first Kickstarter ended in 2015, I started thinking about all kinds of new games I could set in the same universe. Since then I've been working on this new game nonstop. Tiny Swords SMAAASH! is just the first of many many Tiny Swords games, all with unique mechanics sharing the same characters and cutesy style.
SMAAASH! was originally Kickstarted back in 2016 as Tiny Swords Tactics. Even though that campaign didn't achieve full funding, enough people loved the game that I decided to give it another shot. The name has changed, but the game is the same and as fun as ever. I've spent more time polishing it based on everyone's feedback, and now I need your help to get it printed!
- Fast-paced madcap strategy for all ages! Flip, slide, and SMAAASH on a dynamic ever-changing battlefield
- Captain Powers like Polly Geist's Jumpscare and Moby Turf's Tidal Wave give advanced players new ways to fight
- Block Tiles offer drop-in/drop-out rules so nobody is left out of game night. Everyone can play til the very end!
- With the Tiny Swords Tablecloth (sold separately) you can use your whole table to play the game! Every table is a new stage for fighting!
- Full color manual full of cute illustrations to help you get started playing right away! (You can read it by clicking here)
Reviews and Previews
- "Very quick to teach and very engaging... everyone I played this with enjoyed it probably more than any other Kickstarter project" -The Board Game Vault
- "The combination of some simple rules makes for a much more complex and dynamic game than the art and rules might lead you to believe." -The Indie Game Report
- "If you like battle games and cute artwork, Tiny Swords [SMAAASH!] is worth checking out." -GeekDad
- "Think of four way chess. Now think of four way chess where the battles aren’t as easy as rook takes pawn. Now add in fun retro 16 bit graphics." -Spaghetti and Meeples
In Tiny Swords SMAAASH! each player leads a team of monsters into battle. Each team has a different theme (Spooky, Sweet, Mermaid, and Moon) and a unique Captain. All teams are fighting over the Heart of the Battle, a trophy meant only for the boldest of warriors. The last team on the table wins the Heart and wins the game!
On their turn, players take Actions with their team. There are three kinds of Actions:
- MOVE- Slide your face-up tile around the table, pushing all the face-up tiles in your way
- FLIP- Turn one of your tiles face-up or face-down. Face-down tiles create walls that can't be moved or attacked by other players
- SMAAASH!- Attack another face-up tile and push them away from you. This pushes all of the face-up tiles next to them too. The more times you attack a tile, the farther they fly! If your monster's Rock Paper Scissors Type beats your opponent's, you do DOUBLE DAMAGE!
These three Actions are quick to learn and combine in fun and surprising ways. This ensures Tiny Swords SMAAASH! remains easy to pick up and hard to master.
Advanced players can dig into each team's special abilities to amp up their game. Every team Captain has two different abilities that affect themselves, their teammates, or even other players' teams!
- Polly Geist (Spooky)- Walk through walls and jumpscare your foes out of hiding!
- Moby Turf (Mermaid)- Use your tiles to make a splash and change the flow of the game!
- Marsha Latte (Sweet)- Swap places with friend and foe alike!
- Luna Umbra (Moon)- Choose who you give a speed boost! This affects ALL teams!
Even when a player loses all their tiles, they can stay in the game! They can use special Block Tiles to mess with the remaining players and create new obstacles for them to overcome. Eliminated players can use the Blocks together to get revenge from beyond the grave. The farther the game gets, the more chaotic the board becomes!
Block Tiles use simpler rules than the main game, so even young or casual players can join in on the fun and drop in and out as they please.
- 2 Heart of the Battle tiles
- 4 teams of 6 tiles apiece (Spooky, Sweet, Mermaid, and Moon)
- 4 double-sided reference cards (1 for each team)
- 32 Damage Tokens
- 8 Action Tokens
- 8 Moon Tokens (Special for the Moon team player!)
- 18" Square Quad-fold Game Board
- 4 Block Tiles
- Full-Color Game Manual
- SMAAASH! Print and Play Version and Thank You- A PDF version of the board game you can print and assemble for yourself. Everyone who gets this reward will also have their name in a special Thank You section in the SMAAASH! PDF.
- SMAAASH! Game- The complete boxed game, including all stretch goal expansions, at a 25% discount.
- Monster Charms- 1" white acrylic charms of monsters from Tiny Swords SMAAASH! Choose from Sweet Slime, Spooky Knight, Moon Dreamer, and Mermaid Surfer!
- Captain Charms- special 1.5" glittery charms of the 4 Captains from Tiny Swords SMAAASH! Choose from Marsha Latte, Polly Geist, Luna Umbra, and Moby Turf!
- BONUS Tiny Swords Card Game- The original cute and chaotic swordfighting game, at a special 30% discount!
- Spooky Knight Enamel Pin- 1.5" full-color pin of one of the most popular monsters from Tiny Swords SMAAASH!, ready to follow you wherever you go.
- SMAAASH! Tablecloth- comes in both Sr. (~54" x 36") and Jr. (~27" x 36") versions. Turn any table into a Tiny Swords SMAAASH! stage!
PLEASE NOTE: When ordering any charms, after the Kickstarter ends you will be asked in a backer survey which specific charms you want to order. You can ask for duplicates or unique charms in any combination, as long as it does not exceed the number of charms you've purchased.
Want more stuff? Have specific order you'd like? Scroll down to the Add-On section at the end of the page!
- $17k- Tiny Swords SMAAASH! is funded!
- $17.5k We'll get to make an animated tutorial video for SMAAASH! Watch for free and learn how to play the game!
- $18.5k- Bailey Ringwald's Circus team joins the battle!
- $19k- Herman Schwartz's Clockwork team joins the battle!
- $20k- Nori Bancho's Sushi team AND Isaac Ishinomori's Robo team join the battle!
- And STILL more to come!
Unlocking stretch goals will mean adding new teams to Tiny Swords SMAAASH! Each new team will have six tiles based off of a different Tiny Swords theme, and will be given FREE to every backer who backs at the Smashing Swordfighter tier and above. Each stretch goal team will have unique Captain Powers, changing the game in all kinds of weird and exciting ways! For example:
- Bailey Ringwald (Circus)- Your Acrobatics keep your performers safe when teetering on the edge. Somersault the competition to swap places with a tile and kick them in the opposite direction!
- Herman Schwartz (Clockwork)- Upgrade your machines to make them faster, but be careful. Once they start moving, they can't stop!
- Nori Bancho (Sushi)- Use your Conveyer Belt to move multiple tiles at a time, but watch which way your tiles point!
- Isaac Ishinomori (Robo)- Wind up your monsters and let them loose on your foes. The more damage they take, the bigger the explosion!
Each stretch goal helps cover the production costs for printing and shipping the expansions. Any extra profits will go into development time, so that I can ensure each team is well balanced. The more teams that are added to the game, the more complicated this will get, and the longer it will take to playtest all of the possible combinations.
- Tiny Swords SMAAASH! Production- $10k This covers the costs for the base game. Just like the first Tiny Swords game, this one will be printed through AdMagic.
- Shipping Materials- $3k This covers costs for boxes, bubble wrap, and other supplies needed to get backer rewards delivered safely. It also covers postage which allows me to keep the costs for shipping games relatively low, even internationally!
- Rewards Production- $2.3k This will cover the production costs for the various backer rewards. This includes the charms, pins, tablecloths, etc.
- Kickstarter Fees- $1.7k This will cover the estimated 10% taken by Kickstarter and card processing fees when pledges are paid.
Me! No, really. When I say it's a game by Brian Wolf, I mean it's 100% Brian Wolf. The rules, art, packaging, everything is all me (though i had a lot of friends playtest). I'm so proud of how far Tiny Swords SMAAASH! has come, and I can't wait for you to see for yourself.
Maybe you want to get two copies of Tiny Swords SMAAASH! so you can play with 8 people at once, or you need to save some money but you REALLY really want all those charms. Pick the tier that's closest to the stuff you want, and then add the appropriate amounts below for the add-ons you want. When/if the Kickstarter successfully funds, you'll be asked if you paid for any add-ons. That's when you let me know which specific things you want. If you forget to leave a comment, or leave an incorrect amount, then I may not be able to give you those add-ons!
These add-on prices are the same for domestic and international backers. Please note that you'll need to back at least the Casual Swordfighter level ($10+shipping) in order to qualify for add-ons.
- SMAAASH! Game +$30
- BONUS Tiny Swords Card Game +$10
- Tiny Swords Tablecloth Jr. +$30
- Tiny Swords Tablecloth Sr. +$60
- Spooky Knight Pin +$12
- 1 Monster Charm +$3
- All 4 Monster Charms +$10
- 1 Captain Charm +$6
- All 4 Captain Charms +20
Risks and challenges
With any Kickstarter, the delivery of physical goods is always a risk. There's always the chance that a package can become delayed, or worse, lost in transit. While these are possible, my budget is meant to accommodate for potential losses. Having the cushion for potential mistakes is crucial to making sure everything goes over smoothly.
The good news is that the game itself is as print-ready as can be.The art is done, the manual complete, the packaging needing some modest tweaks. Not only is the game good to go, but this will be my second time producing a game through AdMagic. Last year's game delivered on time, on schedule, AND under budget- a rare feat for any Kickstarter, let alone a first-timer. Although I have great confidence, I am still taking all possible precautions to ensure that this Kickstarter has a similar success.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)