About this project
Crack of the Bat Baseball (COTB) is a fun and fast paced dice and card game for 1 to 4 players. The game features smooth game play and highly accurate results based on real life stats. The game is intended to be a gateway game, one that avid baseball fans can enjoy while also having a rule set that allows up to 4 people to share a more casual gaming experience.
Thanks to "Seamheads.com Negro Leagues Database - Powered by the Baseball Gauge" for use of the stats that will allow me to portray these athletes as close to their real life potential as possible.
Note: I am unable to find images for many players and it is difficult to research when Negro league photos were taken. Therefore some players will not have an image. For players without photos available I will likely use a logo I have created.
Game play involves rolling four 10 sided dice each a different color; red, white, blue and green. There are 3 pairings obtained in this way; a blue/white combo, a red/white combo, and a green/white combo. The colored die is always read first for each pairing. This is explained in the campaign video. Play moves from the pitcher card, then to the batter card. If a hit occurs, the location is found off the value of the green white die pair. Any base advancement is also found via the green/ white combo.
The beauty of the above system is that every play (except for steals. error checks, and tagging on fly outs) is resolved off the initial batter roll.
While 80% of COTB's game mechanics are brand new, the other 20% is brought in from the previously released game 'Pine Tar Baseball'. (also by Life is Sport Games) This is the portion that makes up hit location and base runner advancement. Both tried and true streamlined systems that keep game play moving fast. The video below demos hit location and base runner advancement from Pine Tar that will be brought into Crack of the Bat Baseball. Note that the range values shown will vary in the new system.
In total, eight teams are available for the 1934 Negro NL season. You can select a reward that either has 4 teams or all 8 teams. You may also select between a Basic game version or an Deluxe game version. The differences between those 2 versions are explained below.
Basic game: The basic game comes with the players printed in full color on 110" heavy card stock sheets that measure 8 1/2 x 11". Each team has 2 sheets with a maximum of 9 players. A total of 18 players per team.
Deluxe game: The deluxe game comes with the players professionally printed in full color on individual poker sized cards that measure 2.5 x 3.5" They come on 305 gsm black-core matt card stock. This is the same type of card stock that is used in 'Magic: The Gathering' cards. These cards will have color art work on the back side.
Rewards that include the printed instructions will come with the chosen card set and then all the components listed below.
Game component editions include:
- 4 ten sided dice ( one each of red, white, blue, and green)
- One twelve sided die (used for error checks)
- 3 red game pawns
- 1 disk marker
- One 8 1/2 x 11" game mat (baseball diamond)
- 1 dice pouch
- 6 blank score sheets and 2 scoring pencils
- 1 main instruction manual
The player set varies by which reward level is selected.
If the Project reaches $1500: A special score sheet will be designed for use when 3 or 4 players play COTB Baseball. When playing the game with 3 or 4 players, the game length will be limited to 3 innings. In the event of any ties, players will play up to the 5th inning. After which the game is called a draw.
The special score sheets for multiple player games will have room for up to 4 players with extra space to make score keeping more visible to all participants.
These score sheets will then also be available for download in a PDF file.
If the Project reaches $2200: A score sheet booklet will be included that will contain 16 regular score sheets. (for 1 to 2 players) The score sheets in the booklet will be printed in black and white while the cover will be in full color. (Though it may appear mostly sepia because of the era being portrayed)
Risks and challenges
While all projects have some inherent chance for delays, Life is Sport Games will be working with a printer that we have used many times in the past. They have always corrected any errors on orders that were placed with them in a timely manner. LISG allows extra time to review the product we receive back from the professional printer in case anything needs to be re-printed.
All packaging of items for delivery is done by LISG. This is why some reward levels have been limited to ensure that we are able to ship out all rewards in a timely manner.
Our experience from releasing two different Baseball game titles, along with 6 previous season sets, means LISG knows how to resolve any printing issues that may arise.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (45 days)