Cuppa Earth 2.0
Help us save the Earth--One un-recyclable k-cup at a time. A modern decoration that saves a k-cup from finding its home in a landfill.
An estimated 13 billion k-cups went into landfills last year.
That’s somewhere around 315,261,034 pounds of unrecyclable plastic.
That’s about 78,815 average-sized cars.
That’s about 700 ½ times the weight of the Statue of Liberty.
Coffee--A lifeline. You love your single-serve coffee brewer. Just fill up the water reservoir, pop a disposable k-cup into the machine, and within seconds a fresh-brewed “cuppa” coffee is at your leisure.
What’s so bad about that?
That little cup you popped into the machine isn’t recyclable in one piece! The paper filter and foil lid can be removed, rid of all coffee, and recycled in their respective containers. What a hassle!
And wait!--the actual plastic cup isn’t approved for recycling and can’t be mixed with your other plastics! What a waste!
Still, these cups are too convenient to give up, and you do love your coffee! So what now?
After discussing this serious environmental issue, we thought, what else could we possibly do with used k-cups?
After bouncing around a few ideas, we grew determined to give used k-cups a new purpose, one that actually has a positive environmental impact!
And so, Cuppa Earth was born--We began to re-purpose used k-cups and the wet coffee grinds into decorative pots that serve SO MANY positive purposes:
- Each Cuppa Earth saves a plastic cup from finding its permanent home in a landfill
- Plants remove CO2 from the atmosphere and generate the oxygen required for life
- The brewing process deacidtizes coffee grinds, and the remaining nitrogen in the grounds is the perfect natural fertilizer--so we even recycle the used coffee grinds from the k-cups
- The burlap that blankets each Cuppa Earth is--wait for it...RECYCLED! We collect the burlap sacks that local coffee shops receive their coffee beans in, and would otherwise, throw away!
- Each burlap-wrapped cup is held together with an all-natural hemp cord bow and recyclable paper tag.
- Cuppa Earth is a beautiful decoration for your office, party favor, classroom plant, or a practical addition to your kitchen window sill!
We give used k-cups a “new life" by planting a living, breathing, beautiful succulent inside.
Did we miss something?
Feel free to submit questions to our FAQ!
Risks and challenges
The major potential obstacle to this project is quite obvious: This recycling project is completely dependent on YOU. Cuppa Earth is the product of re-purposed k-cups donated by environmentally friendly people like you:
But what happens if we run out? What happens if the single-serve coffee brewer industry finally comes to its senses and stops manufacturing these unrecyclable plastics? We have a few tricks up our sleeve, and here's how we're prepared to handle such a happy problem:
PLAN A: Plants grow. Plants outgrow. Cuppa Earth is the start of a new life--just the start!
We plan to plant plants that plan to last a lifetime; therefore, expect your mini succulent or cactus to eventually (in a couple years) outgrow its mini plastic home (which is still not recyclable!). So here's the problem and the solution: re-purpose the unrecyclable again!
Send us back the outgrown cup, and we'll fix it up like new and make it home to another baby plant, and give it a new home to another environmentally friendly person like you!
PLAN B: If the world were to completely run out of unrecyclable single-use plastic coffee cups, what would we do? We won't stop repurposing, that's for sure! We'll find another way to make the Earth a cleaner place with gARTbage.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)