Keelcrab! First underwater Drone for the care of your Hull
Keelcrab! First underwater Drone for the care of your Hull
Keep your hull clean respecting the environment and saving your pocket! By using it, lower fuel consumption and increased performance!
Keep your hull clean respecting the environment and saving your pocket! By using it, lower fuel consumption and increased performance! Read more
Although we still are a small company, we are very proud and grateful to present you some facts which witness the happiness and satisfaction of those who have already experienced Keelcrab.
Help us to continue in the right way!
First installation of Keelcrab Sail Pack on Cobra 41 Sail Boat.
Mr. Bernt Fernström of the company http://dalarobatvard.se/ first importer who believed in us and our project, has obtained a 50% subsidy for the purchase of keelcrab in Sweden from Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management since Keelcrab has been recognized as Eco-friendly investment in water quality improvement. Not only that Gothenburg University invited him on their research vessel ”Hrimfare” for using and evaluating the KeelCrab drone.
They are already ten the harbours which have become Keelcrab point and have chosen Keelcrab drones for the hulls maintenance.
Soon it will be the remedy most used on our shores.
Capt. Diego Comuni, currently embarked on "Xasteria" (Perini Yacht) has chosen Keelcrab for the care and maintenance of the hull.
Even Costa Crociere Ltd. chose Keelcrab for the cleaning of the waterline.
From the passion for sea and boats KeelCrab project took life!!
Keelcrab is an underwater drone able to carry out cleaning and hull inspection activities. Designed mainly for cleaning the hull of sailing boats (of any size), yachts and maxi yachts, with a particularly pleasing result at the waterline and on the planing parts.
MAIN FUNCTION: OPTIMIZING HULL MAINTENANCE THROUGH THE REMOVAL OF THE BIO-FOULING ALGAE AND VEGETATION THAT CONSTANTLY APPEAR ON ITS SURFACE.
DO IT YOUR SELF !!
WHERE YOU WANT
WHEN YOU WANT
WITHOUT MOVING THE BOAT !
HOW IS IT MADE/HOW IT WORKS??
KEELCRAB is characterized by an exoskeleton in plastic material with neutral hydrostatic balance.
- WEIGHT 9,5 kg
- LENGTH 42,5 cm
- WIDTH 42,5 cm
- HEIGHT 32 cm
- SPEED 1,5 m² per min
The vacuum / aspiration force is generated by a central impeller or turbine (propeller), driven by an brushless motor, which performs the dual function of keeping the robot attached to the hull and removing algae formed thereunder. The movement is driven by rubber brushes on tracks that allow movements in all directions.
HOW TO USE IT ??
VERY SIMPLE ! Keelcrab can be used by everyone . . . . by you, your son or by the person who takes care of the maintenance of your boat.
It has been developed to be a user-friendly drone and as such it can be commanded by anyone on his own in order to perform the hull cleaning . This is made possible thanks to a remote control device with display and to a IP68 video camera with LED lights installed on the drone.
By looking at the screen you are able to maneuver your Keelcrab through simple directional buttons on the remote control as well as to monitor and check the conditions of your hull on the same time.
IS IT REALLY A GREEN SOLUTION? WHAT ABOUT THE TOXIC ANTI-FOULING ??
Yes, sure it is. Keelcrab drone is a solution that respects the waters and the marine environment. Why?
First of all, in order to perform efficiently its function Keelcrab is equipped with certified brushes ( soft-medium-hard ) with nylon bristles.
Their certification (A.N.C.C.P. ), obtained after several tests performed in a simulated environment , establishes that such brushes are not able to remove neither toxic fixed anti-fouling paints streched on the hulls nor the biocidal substances present in them but just the overlying vegetation. When the vegetation begins to grow it means that the anti-foluing is losing its biocidal effect and in fact, numerous tests have demonstrated that the constant removal of the first layer of algae (3 mm) dramatically prolongs the efficiency of the anti-fouling agent making it possible to reduce the quantity used over time. As a result of that barnacles cannot form in the medium term as they don't find vegetation and then a cleaner hull allows the boat to perform better reducing on the same time the fuel consumption.
Now, think to lay the anti-fouling only on some technical parts of the hull leaving the rest of the hull to keelcrab drone, so that you can benefit in terms of less costs of maintenance and less pollution .
In this regard, take a look to the videos and to the tables below.
A clean difference can be seen between the used amounts of anti-fouling and the related costs that need to be beared depending on whether you are using keelcrab or not .
1) Less Pollution
- reduction of the anti-fouling amount used
- lower consumption because being equal the performance a clean hull can allow to reduce the fuel consumption by up to 20%.
3) Comfort because of the possibility to clean your boat whenever you want according to your need
4) Top performance of your boat
WHY KEELCRAB BAG CAN BE USED?
Even though the residual material is just natural compound, it seemed necessary to us to design a system which would allow the users to easily collect and dispose the vegation removed by keelcrab. In this way, as a matter of good manners and civility we aim to keep port waters as clean and clear as possible by recovering all the waste or at least most of it.
THERE IS ALSO A VERY IMPORTANT TECHNICAL REASON....
Usually, once a cleaning operation has been performed, it should be better to make the boat moving and navigating in order to avoid that removed algae stick again to the hull. So, thank to this nylon filter and to its ability to keep and to retain the waste collected, it will no longer needed to move the boat.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO INTEGRATE KEELCRAB WITH NEW GREEN PRODUCTS ?
Yes, indeed by solving the problem acting on the effect and not on the cause, Keelcrab can be perfectly integrated with green solutions (ultrasound or biocides free paints) you are already using for your boat. Numerous tests have demonstrated that its calibrated cleaning ability, by simulating the navigation motion and self-cleaning effect, can fit efficiently with green paints giving as a result a perfect and 100% ecological combination for the maintenance of the hulls.
THINKING ALWAYS GREENER . . . . . . .
We would like to conclude this section giving you some food for thought as:
what would happen to our seas if all the boats used even less than 80% of the anti- fouling they normally use yearly , without changing the coonsumption rate as well as the the performance?
and as a consequent of that how would the marine environment change ? Could it improve the quality of our fish ?
WHAT DO THE KEELCRAB REWARDS INCLUDE ?
In any of the rewards levels of Keelcrab Sail One, the basic package will include:
KEELCRAB SAIL ONE REWARD
Hull cleaning & inspection drone ready to be used with:
Board cam (700 tvl SOY CCD-EFFIO-S)
2 white led (200 lumen each)
nylon brush (medium) 0,35 quick release
KEELCRAB SAIL ONE PROFESSIONAL VERSION REWARD
IN ADDITION TO THE BASIC PACKAGE IT IS INCLUDED ALSO:
- 3 transportation cases:
Electronics box case
Remote control case
- Cable extension set:
10 Mt drone cable extension/10 Mt remote control cable extension
- Brush set
- Keelcrab bag kit set
- Subscription to Keelcrab Point Platform
Price Ex work & Ex vat (if is due).
On reaching the goal of our dreams, every keelcrab will be retroactively upgraded with wireless remote control and as such it will be possible to control the drone from your tablet through the Keelcrab App.
- CLAW PACK ( €350 Add on )
1 Soft Brush
1 Hard Brush
4 EVA rubber rollers
1 Keelcrab bag kit
- SAIL PACK ( €150 Add on )
3 Mt drone cable extension + wall&flying connectors (welded)
3 Mt remote control cable extension + wall&flying connectors (welded)
Support bracket robot (see the image below)
KEELCRAB TEAM STORY
And here you are our magic team. Few but with great energy, creativity and passion.
Aeffe s.r.l. derives from a strong enterprising spirit and a passion for automated mechanical solutions; the beating heart of the company is a team of young people able to boast a variety of excellent skills ranging from electronics to mechanical design, as well as information technology and diving. After honing its technical and marketing skills with the Keelcrab series of underwater drones (European patent filed in Italy on 18 May 2009), today the company designs and manufactures also custom-built underwater vehicles . Although Keelcrab core business is the production of underwater drones for hull maintenance, the team can boast a high specialization in modern construction techniques, a strong engagement in on-going research and development, a flexible approach to customisation according to the customer’s needs and at last an efficient service and post-sales customer care.
Technical questions about the product
- What’s the voltage ? 220v or 110v ( american standard) , converted in low voltage 48v
- What’s its power consumption? Maximum is 250 watt/hour and average consumption is 200 Watt/hour
- What’s the standard length of the drone power cable? Its length is 20 meters - Is the power cable reinforced ? Yes, it is reinforced with Kevlar (120Kg traction)
- Can I use the drone cable to transport or manovreur Keelcrab? Not exactly. It is possible to move Keelcrab and pull it carefully by the cable only when the drone is in the water. Instead, either you have to take it out the water or you have to immerse it, we strongly advice to use the handle ( standard dotation).
- What’s the standard lenght of remote control cable? The remote control cable lenght is 5 Meters.
- What’s the Led power? The Led power is 200 Lumen
- How to collect the vegetation removed by keelcrab? In the claw pack we provide the keelcrab bag kit that is able to recover part of the vegetation removed through a nylon filter bag( meglio non parlare di micrometria). In this way, you can avoid that part of the vegetation removed is able to stick again on the hull’s surface.
- How deep could it be used ? The maximux depth is 10 meters.
Keelcrab cleaning ability
- What is keelcrab drone able to remove? Keelcrab cleaning function is set to make the drone able to remove algae and vegetation; numerous tests have proven its effectiveness even on boats moored in port waters since 6-12 months;
- Does keelcrab remove mussels or barnacles ? If not why ? It doesn’t for valid reasons. First of all, in case such organisms grow up on hull’s surface, it could mean two things: either the anti- fouling paint used is not suitable for the waters where the boat is moored or it’s been too long since the last time the anti-fouling has been drafted on the hull’s surface. Secondly, our experience has taught us that their removal on the water could be very dangerous for the safety of the hull and for its life cycle. Such organisms normally stick so hardly on the hull that their forcible removal through a large abrasion, is be able to provoke for sure the detachment of the paintings and in the worst cases this opreation could compromise the physical integrity of gel coat causing as a result problems of moisture infiltration and osmosis. In such cases there’s no other solution but to take the boat out of the water and to let the dockyard make the standard cleaning cycle usually performer by raising the boat with crane.
THEREFORE, BY REMOVING THE VEGETATION LAYER KEELCRAB PREVENTS THEIR RISE SINCE THEY DO NOT FIND FERTILE GROUND FOR THEIR PROLIFERATION
- Can I potentially clean all the hull’s surface using keelcrab? In terms of percentage, keelcrab is able to clean 80/90% of the hull of a sail boat and motor boat with planing hull by 40 feet and up leaving to the shipowner or professionals the shafts, propellers, rudders and corners
- How many times do I need to use Keelcrab ? It depends from several factors such as the temperature and the type of water, presence of fresh water tributaries and seasonality. However, our experience allows us to say that if water temperature exceeds 22/23 degrees it is advisable to use it even once a month;
Keelcrab Accessories Questions
- Is it possible to order an extension of the cable ? Yes of course, it possible to customize the length of both the drone cable either the remote control cable:
1. Cable pack: 10 meters of additional cable on the remote control and 10 meters of additional cable on the drone = 130 euros; send an email to email@example.com after purchase.
2. Customization of cable length; € 5 / meter remote control cable & Euro 12 / meter drone cable; send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org after purchase.
- Can I replace the brush on my self? The brushes are easy and fast to replace ( Allen key 4) . We have 3 different models of which one ( medium brush ) is part of the standard dotation instead the other two (Soft and Hard) are part of the adventure pack.
Soft = very thin vegetation/ possibly on ablative anti-fouling paints (even though Keelcrab use is not recommended with this type of paints)
Medium = standard brush very effective on different conditions of medium dirt / ideal for routine maintenance
Hard = for hard dirt tending to coral (incrostazione)
--- Measures of reward "keelcrab sail one drone" 36x45x77 18 kg
--- Measures of reward "keelcrab sail one professional pack": 75X80X50 25 kg
--- Measures of reward "dubble pack": 72x90x18 36 kg
--- Hs code: 84795000
SPARE PARTS: request spare parts price list to email@example.com
TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT ANTI-FOULING
- Further considerations on anti-fouling Keelcrab is perfectly compatible with fixed anti- foulings. Nylon bristles aren’t strong enough neither to remove the anti-fouling layer nor to be compared with sanding machines or high pressure washers. Any type of fixed silicon base paint. Instead, it mustn’t be used with ablative anti-fouling paints right because they need that boat is motion in order to perform their cleaning function on the surface. So, they are different from the others since they keep the hull clean by detaching gradually from the surface due to the navigation. In this case, the use of keelcrab is strongly discourage.
- In a specific area of our website they will be available for all our customers (free subscription) tutorial videos about basic assistance ( send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with drone serial number in order to receive the access password)
- Only for the Keelcrab points, we will provide a dedicated area with tutorial videos regarding extraordinary assistance.
Warranty, lifetime components subject to wear and drone maintenance
- 500 hours or 2 year warranty on engine block, camera, led lights, electronics box and remote control excluding nylon brushes and rubber that depend on use but generally do more than 50/100 hours;
- Maintenance= thorough rinsing in fresh water after every use; once completed the cleaning operation take care to use connector plugs and make sure to put away(store) electronics box and remote control in dry environment.
supported by http://kickingitforward.org
Risks and challenges
We want to get things done !!!
We are a group of great people, everyone of us with selected skills and some of us with experience of the nautical world.
Our priority is to satisfy your expectations and to make sure you will have in your hands a device able to respect the requirements of quality and performance as well.
In order to do so we will work very hardly, efficiently and carefully.
We fixed june 2017 as estimated delivery just because we want to be honest and transparent with you.
It will take time and then we have not desire to provide our supporters with a drone of inferior quality just to respect the delivery deadline.
We will try to be as fast as possible but not at the expense of those steps related to assembly, production and testing phases that make Keelcrab a concrete solution for hull maintenance.
As evidence of our commitment and in order to be forthright throughout the entire manufacturing and testing process we will do our utmost to keep you updated with news and info about the productive cycle and possible variations in timing.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)