Project by Michale Graves, Mark Allen Stuart and Hydraulic Entertainment
“The ultimate Graves Fusion - that is what you have here”
The origin of the idea
Saying it in the simplest way - we love Halloween. We want it to go on every day of the year, not just 10/31, so the goal of this album is to create a night of haunting horror stories – to tell tales of fright and fear in a format that creates an entertaining eerie experience each time you listen to the album. And here is how it was created…. Stanhope House, August 28th, 2013, 8:45pm EST. Michale and business partner/collaborator Mark were in the green room before a “Vagabond Acoustic” one man show. The house was packed and what a house it is - Stanhope House www.stanhopehouse.com is an American treasure the country’s oldest operating road house - Michale has an incredible relationship with the house (Michale had played there 2 times earlier in the year with 2 more performances set for October and December).
While tuning his guitar Michale and Mark talked and the topics, as usual, ranged from music to film to events of the day. One topic that came up was an upcoming private performance set in October. As the 2 discussed that upcoming performance, Mark stated that the folk-rock “Vagabond Acoustic” set would not be appropriate for the “all horror” audience. Then Mark asked a simple yet important question, “Hey Michale have you ever sung “Forbidden Planet” acoustically? With that Michale began to play, and after a bit of tweaking – he worked it out and it worked incredibly well. The next challenge was, Zombie” and then “Lost Skeleton”, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead” and then the ultimate cross over “Something Wicked”. The final LSR song to be worked was “Last Man on Earth” and it flowed easily into an acoustic rhythm - because Michale originally wrote that piece as a slower moving horror story. Each song needed a bit of re-tooling to secure the proper pace and tempo for an acoustic performance, but Michale worked them into the right place.
Each song flowed with an eerie haunting sensibility, and at that point Mark said “I have an idea……what if the next album we do is a combination of two music dimensions: Monster rock and acoustic – and Michale smiled that wry smile of his and “Supernatural” was born. Mark wrote out the song list for the proposed album (offered on one of the pledge levels here) and that night Michale included several of the songs into his “Vagabond Acoustic” set, to the unknowing but delighted crowd – none of whom were conscience that they were part of the first public acoustic performance of those songs, and part the validation for the new album. After the performance Mark and Michale laughed and said, “Well that worked…. “Supernatural” here we go.
The components of a monster-piece
The boys are finalizing the tracks to complete the ultimate “Supernatural” experience. Each song will add a unique sense of chill to the album. Cuts being considered for the "Supernatural” album include:
• Last Man on Earth
• Night of the Living Dead
• Earth vs Spider
• Dawn of the Dead
• Something Wicked
• Lost Skeleton
• Forbidden Planet
• Half Human - new song
• Straight Jacket – new song
• Ghost (tentative) - new song
"Straight Jacket" (Tentative) Music Video Shoot
We are also planning to shoot a music video while we are recording the album. The music video will be for one of the new songs Michale is writing for the album - and we are set to film in a building said by some to be haunted....
Extremely Limited Edition “Supernatural” CD set to be released 2/25/14
“Supernatural” is a very limited edition project with only 444 total CD’s being produced.
The heart of this project is the “Supernatural” CD. There will a limited number of unsigned CD’s at the $25 level and Michale is offering something special for his friends and fans at the $50 pledge level - an ULTRA limited number of autographed and number “Supernatural” CD’s.
Also being offered are several ONE OF A KIND ITEMS – each comes with a signed Certificate of Authenticity.
- The original hand written lyrics to the song “Zombie”. This is a one of a kind hand written lyric sheet that Michale finished hours before recording the song for the “Lost Skeleton Returns” album. This is the first representation of the song in its final form ever.
- The original hand written lyrics to the song "Forbidden Planet”. This is a one of a kind hand written lyric sheet that Michale finished hours before recording the song for the “Lost Skeleton Returns” album. This is the first representation of the song in its final form ever.
- The original hand written lyrics to the song “Night of the Living Dead”. This is a one of a kind hand written lyric sheet that Michale finished hours before recording the song for the “Lost Skeleton Returns” album. This is the first representation of the song in its final form ever.
- The original hand written song list created the night MA was conceived
- The base drum skin used on both of the “Lost Skeleton Returns” tours
- And being true to the origin of all of our Kickstarter projects there are 2 levels of acoustic performances being offered: an in-home event for up to 10 people for $500 plus travel, an in-home performance for up to 20 people for $750 plus travel. But there will only be a total of 7 acoustic performances offered with this project – set to be performed during December 2013 through February 2014 timeframe.
- Also we have 2 pledge levels for the music video for "Straight Jacket" (tentative title) set to be shot near PA/NJ this November.
Why Kick Starter
This is Michale’s forth Kickstarter project – each one has been a complete success from all angles – especially the involvement and interaction of fan’s and supporters. Whether a new fan or someone who has been there along the way – including fan’s in this project adds the right chemistry to a really cool concept.
Hydraulic Entertainment, headed by CEO Mark Allen Stuart, is a creator, producer and promoter of eclectic film, video, music and entertainment properties. Accessing the finest talent in the business, Hydraulic Entertainment is a vertically integrated company that is comprised of 11 artist/business people throughout the organization.
About Michale Graves
Michale entered the music scene in 1995 in a huge way – as lead singer for The Misfits. Michale rapidly shifted the band’s music from the Horror Punk style that it originated in 1977 into an Anthem Rock vibe that the band is most recognized for throughout the world. After a successful run with the band, Michale separated from The Misfits in 2001, and he counts that time as a gift that he will always cherish with love and respect, for the band and all of the fans that experienced the electrifying in concert musical experiences the band created.
After the Misfits, Michale formed several bands including Graves, Gotham Road and his current bands, Michale Graves and Michale Graves and The Chamber of Horrors Band. During this time Michale has toured the world and played nearly 1000 live performances – delighted crowds with each musical set.
In March of 2012 Michale meet Mark Allen Stuart and after several months of planning formed a partnership in August of that year. In that time, a short 14 months, the two have produced 4 albums (“Vagabond”, “Lost Skeleton Returns”, “Vagabond Acoustic” and Lost Skeleton Returns Instrumental” ) in addition to the highly acclaimed short film music video “Zombie”, along with 4 tours and several special fan based events.
A Note from Michale
“The idea of telling a series of haunted stories through "Supernatural" makes my heart pound. I think this will be a fright-fest of music and the combination of all that I love the most in both sides of my voice – "Supernatural…… “
Risks and challenges
Risks and challenges:
We have a risk of booking quality studio time but we have a tentative hold with the studio where we cording the 4 other projects this year - we fell our relationship will hold that facility. There is also a concern that we wont gain awareness for this project so we are going to use the newsletter, our facebook pages, our websites and the current LS tour to spread the word. We are also going to access our WORLD CLASS 200+ MEMBER STREET TEAM to drive awareness of this project.
Beyond that, the other major risks are:
1) Supernatural entities shut down the recording studio.
2) Ghosts, creatures and the like decide that Punk Rock really is dead.
3) Michale changes his musical genre to the up and coming category or Druid-Raggae
4) Zombies take over the internet (it could happen)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)