About this project
* 12/7 guidelines on changing pledges and rewards, please read FAQ "How do I change my pledge?" at the bottom of this page or our update section.
Coffee brewing is as much of an art, a ritual, and as it is a science. After fresh-roasted coffee beans, a good grinder and a dripper, a scale will help improve your coffee brewing the most, as using scale rather than scoops to weigh coffee and water will provide the precision & consistency you need for brewing the perfect cup of coffee.
Brewing great coffee also requires the best tools, who wouldn’t want a beautifully designed scale to complement your gorgeous equipments like french presses, dripper, espresso grinders and the chemex? That’s why we designed the acaia Coffee Brewing Scale - Sleek design, simple to use, precise measurement, and it works with our coffee brewing App.
- "The acaia is a beautifully designed scale that...help you brew the best cup of coffee time and time again."- PSFK
- “acaia has created a digital scale that brings the “art” down to a science.“ - Venture Beat
- "...it seems the acaia may be a legitimately cool tool."- Daily Coffee News
- It’s not just geeky internals either–the physical design is definitely super minimalist and attractive. - Sprudge
- "The acaia Coffee brewing app acaia Coffee Brewing Tool is an awesome App that connects with the coffee scale via Bluetooth 4.0 technology..." - Single Serve Coffee
- "...the acaia Coffee Brewing Scale sounds like a coffee geek’s dream."- The Coffee Compass
- "Clean Design, well constructed, fully functional, with full featured iPhone companion app." - Intown Coffee
1. Coffee grind and liquid proof touch sensitive buttons.
We want our coffee scale to be perfect for coffee brewing, so we chose responsive and touch sensitive buttons over mechanical buttons on our scale because mechanical buttons are not dirt proof, and having coffee grinds stuck in between buttons are not pleasant at all, and the scale display is sealed, so don’t worry about spilling coffee on the scale.
2. Smart auto-off feature.
When brewing coffee on a dripper or waiting for coffee to bloom, most scale would often shut off automatically, disrupting the harmony of coffee brewing and ruined our mood. When we design the acaia coffee scale, we tweaked and lengthened the auto-off feature, which is more than enough to wait for a bloom, and when there are objects on scale, the auto-off feature will be disabled temporarily so the coffee brewing process won’t be interrupted, to re-enable the auto-off feature, simply remove objects from the scale to cease scale activity.
3. Accuracy of 0.1 gram increments.
The measuring unit is important when you are weighing coffee beans, coffee grounds and water, acaia coffee scale has the accuracy to the tenth of a gram. By the way, we are aware of that the common measuring unit is gram instead of standard US oz, but someone might just care about unit switching, so we also added a gram-oz unit switch.
4. Stopwatch Implementation on scale.
There are both timing feature on scale and the app now, you can toggle between a.) scale mode, b.)stopwatch mode and c.)dual mode (stopwatch/scale) on the acaia scale.
5. Compact and commodious weighing surface.
acaia coffee scale has a 6*6 inch scale pressure plate, which is large enough to hold most coffee brewing equipment like the french presses, dripper, espresso grinders and the chemex.
6. Steady and durable scale bottom.
Most scale has protruding plastic feet, which sometimes get worn out and create uneven distribution on surface, resulting in inaccurate scale readings. We designed acaia coffee scale to endure, with a flat bottom and a silicone cushion which allow it to sit flat and steadily on the counter.
7. Eco-friendly rechargeable lithium-ion battery.
We choose to power the scale with lithium-ion battery even though it cost extra money because we care about the environment. Lithium-ion battery life last longer and therefore produce less waste, and it also produce a much higher voltage than other types of batteries.
The power adapter for traditional scale also troubles me. The acaia scale uses a simple usb cable to charge, the same cable you would charge your phone or other devices!
The acaia coffee scale is the one of a kind smart scale equipped with a high quality CPU, rechargeable lithium-ion battery which powers the Bluetooth BLE chip and connects with mobile devices, which creates limitless possibilities, because without rechargeable lithium battery, ordinary kitchen scale can only run under bluetooth connection for maybe 3 to 5 days.
8. A mighty micro-controller chip.
The acaia coffee scale is not only a re-designed weighing scale, it is also the most advanced consumer scale in the world. We used a single-chip micro-controller unit SM59R16G6 for the acaia coffee scale core. This chip is used on many industrial scales and we are the first to incorporate it into a consumer scale.
To put it simple, we used a chip more powerful than any other tradition food / kitchen scale, so that we can modify the software as we progress along the project. It can also help us design functions that were never possible on other architecture of the tradition scales.
For example, by using the powerful MCU, which is the core of the circuit board, allows us to implement features that only industrial grade lab balance could have. Take weight sampling for example, a powerful MCU allows us to sample more signals at a higher rate and get more stable results. Another example of utilizing the powerful chip is a multi point linear calibration — this algorithm makes the scale more accurate to different range of weights which was only used on high end lab balances.
Not only we need a powerful MCU, but also sufficient memory to put all the features including connection with bluetooth inside. The 64K flash memory allows us to make more sophisticated functions in single chip devices without running out of space.
In short, we have built the scale with serious technology.
The Extras: for Kickstarter Backers
Heat insulation pad for weigh obsessives. Coffee is hot, when you’re doing a pour-over on the scale and trying to be precise, the scale accuracy might be affected, for coffee perfectionist like us, we tried different ways to insulate the heat so it won’t affect the scale reading. We designed a washable heat insulation pad to be placed on the scale when you are trying to do a pour-over, which holds up to 200 degrees of heat and keep your coffee pot nice and still on the scale.
acaia Coffee Brewing Tool is an awesome App that connects with our coffee scale via Bluetooth 4.0 technology, which is really helpful during coffee brewing, Here’s what our App features:
- Coffee Brewing Monitor. When you have to run some errands while brewing a 4 minutes French Press coffee, our build in scale reading and timer is your saviour, you can check the progress and time while you are doing something else.
- Brewing & Blooming Timer. Keep track of the brew time with a stopwatch or countdown timer, depending on different brewing method.
Upcoming App features:
- Coffee Bean Note. Build and browse your personal collection of the coffee beans you have bought or brewed, take note of your favourite coffee bean producer, region, varietals, and process, and you can also rate the taste and aroma with our preset grading terms, this app also help you keep track of the amount of coffee usage.
- Coffee Brewing Note. Save your coffee recipes for brewing later or share with friends. If you want to brew better coffee, you can try to adjust different variable in your brewing routine, e.g. the size of grinds, water and coffee ratio.
- Classic White: A gorgeous white coat and a green LED display.
- Pure White: A perfect harmony of the pure white coat and a white LED display.
- Space Black: The sophisticate black coat with a white LED display.
- Sparkle Gold: The glamorous gold coat with white LED display.
- Aqua Blue: The refreshing blue coat with a white LED display.
- Rose Pink: The heart-warming pink coat with a white LED display.
- Why money needed? We need to meet the minimum order volumes required by our manufacturers so we can drive down the supply costs and the tooling costs for our scales. The supply cost is the key to mass production of the acaia coffee scale, so we sincerely hope that you can help us to bring this product to the market!
- Possible Features. As we get more funding, we can add more functionalities to the App and the Scale, like adding features like automatically calculate the bean and water amount needed according to the desired coffee-water ratio.
- If you are a coffee geek, consider Open API Scale.We know that there are many more features that can be added to our scale and app, so we are planning to open our API to allow coffee loving developer to interact with our data by co-working applications and other services, if you are interested, please let us know! We look forward to hearing from you to create an even better coffee gadgets.
- Dimensions: 160mm(W) x 160mm (L) x 32mm (H)
- Aprox. weight: 462g
- Capacity: 4.4lbs/2kg
- Measuring Units: oz , g
- Increments: 0.1g
- Battery: Lithium-ion rechargeable
- Display: LEDTop: PC, Touch sensitive
- Bottom: anti-slip, rubber, flat surface.
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0
Why designing a weighing scale for coffee brewing?
I love to brew my own coffee, that's how I start my day. Everyday.I want my coffee to taste right, so I need a precise control of the water, the grind, the temperature and the ratio.
I invested into all sorts of coffee brewing equipments, somehow I couldn’t find the right weighing scale for coffee brewing, because most scales are not made for coffee brewing, and most importantly, my coffee brewing equipment are beautifully crafted, I have this white porcelain V60, a swan-necked kettle, and a crystal clear glass server, but a horrible looking weighing scale.
I want a beautiful and functional scale, but I couldn’t find one in the market so I decided to create one, because I’m sure that I’m not the only person having issues with coffee scale, and that’s how I started designing acaia Coffee Scale.
Behind the scene.
I’m partnering with a established scale manufacturer to create the acaia Coffee Scale, they have been creating industrial grade lab high precision balances in the past, we work with them from the firmware level design up to the mechanical design, they have been shipping industrial products for 30 years, they recognised our talent design and decided to support our project as well as the kickstarter friends.
The look and feel of the scale will be designed by me, my partner Rex did the App design and hardware integration, and the internals of the scale and the technical part will also be controlled by Rex.
I try my best to gather the best components and material that are available to build acaia, but there’s a slight possibility that some of these resources might just be out of stock or currently unavailable during the production, so I might have to switch to a replacement, but anyhow I will still try my very best to make sure everyone of you will receive the exact product you pledged on Kickstarter.
Fujiki Takao was a banker in Beverly Hills, but switched career after 15 years in banking, He then joined a manufacturing company as their business advisor, and learned about product design and process. He participated in several high-end cellphone case design in Asia, and built products for top three mobile accessory companies, he saw the future of integrating software and hardware for mobile device, so he decided to make his beloved coffee brewing into the future product.
Fujiki searched and found his acaia partner Rex, a Duke University computer science master and the founder of several IT companies (e.g. e-land), then they started working with a experienced Taiwan scale manufacturing company to create the minimalistic acaia coffee scale.
Together Fujiki and Rex bring together, design, hardware & software engineering talents to make the acaia Coffee Scale come true.
If you have anything to tell us or share with us, please don't hesitate! Drop us a message, ask us anything or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org !
Risks and challenges
Building a weighing scale from the ground up is an exciting task, since I can add new features and improve the existing weighing scale.
The biggest challenge I would say is to choose which feature is necessary and which are unnecessary, because I want the acaia Coffee Scale to be simple and functional, so I kept questioning myself what kind of feature is a must and which are not.
There are many things I can do with acaia, and so I decided to release the bluetooth API of this scale and allow more people to help make acaia better.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)