About this project
* First, I'd like to point out that the teeny-tiny blooper on my video was not edited out because my videographer liked it, saying it showed my personality. You'll know when you get to that part. I'm doing something I do practically every day of my life: shuffling papers and mumbling to myself! *
I never realized I was a writer until late in my life. Sure, as a young girl I loved to write letters and had pen-pals all over the world. I was also passionate about reading, due in a large part to my paternal grandmother. Nothing thrilled me more than Bookmobile Day at my grade school. Climbing up those steps and entering a world of adventures was magical. I always exited with an armload of books.
As a young adult, I still enjoyed writing letters to family and friends. While some women were obsessed with shoes or purses, I’d be in the local Hallmark store, caressing beautiful stationery, trying to decide which box to buy. (Yeah, I know. I'm a little weird!)
As I mentioned in my video, I've thought about and talked about writing my memoir for a very long time. And now that I've completed it, I'm so anxious to see my book in print and to hold it in my hands...and of course to see it in other people's hands. * I've chosen the project end date of January 6, 2013, because that will be my 60th BIRTHDAY! Yikes! It's now or never! *
I've always believed If you're going to dream....Dream BIG. And one of my dreams for my memoir is that it makes it to the New York Times Best Seller List! And why not?? During this journey of mine, my mantra has always been Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
-- Henry David Thoreau
Advance Praise .. My Book Blurbs
I'VE INCLUDED LINKS FOR EACH OF THESE WONDERFUL, BEST-SELLING AUTHORS
- "This beautifully written memoir is funny, poignant, and life-affirming. Becky Povich is an American treasure." Michael Lee West, bestselling author of Crazy Ladies, Mad Girls in Love, Gone With A Handsomer Man, and more
- "Becky Povich has a light and whimsical way with words, and a knack for making the everyday seem a bit more special." Philip Gulley, bestselling author of Porch Talk Series, Harmony Series, I Love You Miss Huddleston, and more.
- "Becky Povich’s memoir From Pigtails to Chin Hairs is a series of finely drawn vignettes that does everything a good memoir should do—makes you laugh, makes you cry, makes you want to sit down and have a cup of coffee with the author."
Judith Ryan Hendricks, bestselling author of the Bread Alone series, Isabel’s Daughter, and The Laws of Harmony
- "Reading about life’s tender and ridiculous lessons in From Pigtails to Chin Hairs brought my own life into sharper focus. Becky Povich turns low points, detours, and crowbars into stories that make me appreciate my own pigtail days, as well as the wisdom that comes long after."
Susan Bono, Editor and Publisher of Tiny Lights: A Journal of Personal Narrative
That is why I've chosen Kickstarter to help make my dream come true. I'm already working with a professional editor and I've already contacted createspace to be my publisher.
I have many contacts in radio and TV and I have definite marketing plans. I've been working on my platform for four years. I'm on facebook and I have a popular blog: Humorist - Bliss Follower - Writer: Becky Povich.
The money I receive from my backers will be used in this way:
1) To pay the editor.
2) To pay for the publishing of my memoir, plus the "per book" fee I pay when I take them to book signing events and marketing tours.
3) To have the funds for those tours: gas money, hotels, food, and other road expenses.
4) To have the funds for postage to send the book(s) to backers, and overseas buyers.
********** ********** ********** ********** **********
* Hopefully you see that I'm a seasoned writer and not someone who scribbled her first book in a few weeks' time and then said, "I think I'll self-publish my book!" *
Risks and challenges
I don't perceive any risks or challenges in the completion of my project because I've thought it through and planned so well. One of the biggest challenges was the actual writing of my memoir, and that part is finished! Now the biggest challenge I face is finding the funding so I can make it a reality!
The only incident that might occur would be a delay in the printing. I was told it would be approximately 4 - 6 weeks after I submit my manuscript. That's why I chose May 2013 for my estimated delivery of the rewards. I think that gives me plenty of time to complete my project.
If you’re not familiar with Kickstarter, it’s an ALL-or-NOTHING system. IF I DON'T REACH MY FUNDING GOAL by the deadline, (don't even think such a thing!) the project isn’t financed and YOUR ACCOUNT WILL NOT BE CHARGED for your pledge.
Here are ways you can help spread the word:
Email your friends asking them to check out my Kickstarter page;
Share my Kickstarter page on your Facebook wall or on Twitter;
Share my Kickstarter page on your blog.
Call and text your friends about my Kickstarter page.
Thank you very much for stopping and learning more about me and my project. Hopefully I've convinced THOUSANDS of you to make a pledge! :-)
Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question?
If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.