This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Sun, March 3 2019 7:19 PM UTC +00:00.
Oft unlucky souls find themselves thrust into harm’s path in one form or another - the wrath of the sea, the greed of the plague, the fear of kings’ blades. These are devils we know, proper and thorough. But there lies, on the border of the wild, another terror, where even the barbarous scarce reside...
That mountain at the top of the world, where naught is found but ice and demise. Rumors of silver, elves, and great beasts surround the mysterious kingdom of Rime. We have several legends from our forefathers, but none modern.
For the Rime takes and does not tell.
The place where souls become lost, and with all their quick wish for hell.
Enter: Harrowings From The Rime.
An all new up and coming RPG Zine from a team of creatives on a mission, ‘Harrowings’ is poised to equip and inspire RPG gamers of all flavors and tribes to bring their ideas and game sessions to the next level, and steal your soul with our dark scribblings. Its content will be based around the general OSR community, storytelling and drama, and also feature our own RPG System, The Epic of Dreams. Harrowings #01 is focused on Arctic Fantasy Horror, and is thus named, ‘Harrowings From the Rime’. It is being conjured from the ether by a promising cast of budding RPG industry names, alongside several seasoned underdogs.
The Harrowings Zine will be given out for free to the public in PDF form, and it's physical copies will (at most) be sold by us at cost.
What is The Epic of Dreams?
The Epic of Dreams is a tabletop role-playing game published by Drew Cochran. It is a rules-lite system that focuses on building engagement and drama. It is setting agnostic, and while one may run a full fledged fantasy campaign with ease, requires no dice, cards, or even character sheets to play! You can learn more about the Epic of Dreams here. While some of the content of ‘Harrowings’ will include system specific entries, The Epic of Dreams lends itself to system-agnostic content naturally. None shall be left out.
Harrowings From the Rime will contain the following features:
- A Bestiary from the Arctic Wastes
- Fiction retelling the tales of cursed souls who wander in the white
- An Epic Boss Villain hailing from the realm of the Rime
- A Treasure Trove uncovered from beneath a Thousand Year Glacier
- Additional featured content to be announced along the way!
But Wait, There's More! Harrowings From The Rime will also contain 3 OSR Adventures:
- A Hex-Grid Survival Scenario featuring a lone watchman’s tower betrayed...
- An Ice Labyrinth Dungeon set in our upcoming space fantasy setting, ‘The Seas of Ayil’
- A Frozen Mummy's Keep, based off of original random table mechanics!
Writing: The Harrowings From The Rime cast are comprised of:
- Drew Cochran, Guy Sciancalepore, and Cameron Weller, of The Epic of Dreams
- Ian Rollins and Aaron Cordiale from The Lands of Alaire
- Benjamin Croft, of Be Crofty LLC
- Douglas Shute of Victory Condition Gaming
- Brendan Carrion of the Full Metal RPG podcast
- Amanda Kahl, of the Age of Night webcomic
Editing and Layout: Our own Hatshepsut and Chief Editor of The Epic of Dreams Core Rulebook, Bridget Querns will be returning to curate ‘Harrowings’ to ensure it is presented in it’s finest form. And resident Adobe Sith Lord Alexander Brown, our Graphic Designer will be piecing together the layout of the Zine.
Illustrations: Harrowings #01 will feature all original art from the minds of
- Benjamin Croft
- Nathan Klinger
- Drew Cochran
- Amanda Kahl
Harrowings From The Rime will be printed through Mixam. It will be a 5.5" by 8.5" saddle-stitched booklet printed in Black and White with a frosty cover. We expect the Zine to be around 32 or more pages in total.
- For every 200$ threshold above 500$ we reach, we will add 4 pages of content to the Zine! This will continue until the Zine reaches a full 52 pages in length.
- After this, we will begin to pre-fund Harrowings #02!
In addition to the PDF Copy and the Printed Copy of Harrowings #01, backers can receive a PDF version of The Epic of Dreams Core Rulebook at a discounted cost of 5$ as a bonus to their contributions!
Music from the Promotional Video is from our great friends at IN DECAY! Check them out for some amazing themes!
Risks and challenges
This is the first jaunt the Epic of Dreams team has taken working with a creative team through solely the internet. The content of the Zine is being produced presently. However, each of the contributors have ample experience, and are driven by one fervor. We all have ample content that we want to give out to everyone; even if several of our ranks become unable to continue in production, Harrowings From the Rime will be a full Zine, packed with curios and horrors fit for Guillermo Del Toro.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter