We’re just passed the halfway point of our KickStarter project and wanted to provide another quick update to keep everyone informed on our progress. We have been working harder than ever to make sure this product gets to our backers on time. Here are a few of the key items we have been working on:
1. Stretch Goal Reached! We have well surpassed our stretch goal and are proud to show you a concept design that we have created to make the looks of the NanoLight more attractive.
The idea of imprinting artwork directly onto the light bulb is something we have never seen anywhere. There are a few options here:
- We can take this design and imprint it on all white colored NanoLights that will ship. This can be done at no extra cost.
- We can offer the choice to the customer whether he/she wants a plain white NanoLight or one with an imprinted pattern. In this case, it adds extra complexity to make two types of bulbs and therefore the NanoLight with artwork will cost a few dollars more.
- If this idea sounds strange for a light bulb and doesn't seem to serve as any benefit, we can scrap the idea.
We are very interested in your comments and constructive feedback because this will dictate what we will do. Let us know by adding a comment on this update. Even if it is just "I like it" or "I hate it", we really want to know. Help us make the NanoLight be the best it can.
If you have other artistic ideas for other NanoLight designs, please talk to us.
2. RoHS: We are very happy to let you know that we will be adhering to the RoHS manufacturing process for the printed circuit board used to make the NanoLight. RoHS stands for "restriction of hazardous substances" and it is a directive that limits the use of certain materials that are known to be toxic to the environment, most notably lead and mercury. Given that this product is designed to be as energy efficient and green as possible and given everything that our team stands for, it is an absolute no-brainer decision to go this route and deliver an environmentally friendly product to you. The extra cost to do this will be absorbed by us. You will not see any difference in the final product.
3. Manufacturing Progress: we have already started procuring the necessary components for our first batch of NanoLights and are excited to be starting the assembly process soon. We would like to begin production with a small batch of NanoLights starting on the week of February 18th. During this trial run, we aim to define our assembly and QA processes to ensure a high quality end product, and to figure out how to best maximize production efficiency.
4. Dimmable Feature: We have been working rigorously in the lab on this ever since our last update and we have made very good progress. Within the next few weeks, we are aiming to have a working prototype completed and ready to share with you in a video.
5. Website: Our website is constantly maintained to stay up to date. We have some media features in various newspapers and editorials, as well as a live television interview. If you would like more information, our web site is a great place to look first. We have also been keeping an updated list of our generous supporters ($300 reward or above) on our home page.
6. Twitter: If you have not done so yet, please follow us on Twitter @theNanoLight! For those of you who contributed to the $1 reward, we will be posting your twitter shout-out soon, so we'd love it if you could see it! Our twitter page is also a good place to go for live updates of what is happening in the world of the NanoLight. We also provide random tips for energy conservation as well as pictures and current events related to our product.
Thank you everyone for your gracious support and genuine interest for the NanoLight.
The NanoLight Team