FLUGTAG, Philadelphia, September 15th.
We're building an Aerial Bat Craft for the Red Bull FlugTag event in Philadelphia, September 15th, and it's not just some random ride. Our team is engineering a powerful human powered craft capable of oohs and ahs, while bringing delight to those seeking distance and altitude.
ROB DOUGHERTY, GEOFF GRANDBERG, KELLY SIMON, MARIO KUSAKABE, ANDREW BRESSO
Flugtag is a Red Bull conceptual arts and sporting event, in which teams build custom art/air craft they launch from a pier, in costume. The Flugtag event often has in excess of 100,000 spectators, media and flight enthusiasts and an overflow of adrenaline junkies. Team Thwack fits under most of those categories.
4 blokes with engineering and costume backgrounds. We've been greenlit by Red Bull for our Amish Bat Buggy design. We will build to enthrall and to win.
Our vehicle, pre-flight will be a bland Amish buggy... ho hum, but there are several technical systems we are planning that will make us the crowd choice and we believe event winner.
Dual Thrust Propulsion Breakaway System
1) We are using a slingshot launch system providing us 15 knots of thrust on take off.
2) Wings. Hidden within the system a 15ft wingspan will be pushed outward by the team. It will take this mild mannered Pennsylvania buggy into a fully functional glider with THRUST.
3) Breakaway technology. Upon launch a second slingshot will detach the buggy from the wingspan and our pilot will be catapulted upwards while the wings will actual trim down to gain altitude. Yes gain.
4) Helium Burst. Hidden within our control module will be 20 large helium Batman Balloons. When the 2nd slingshot launches we will release these balloons into the air. We thought about attaching them to the wings but we want as little drag as possible.
5) Powerful Skit system to rile up the crowd and bring positive energy back to Batman.
6) Mobile Audio Flight Assist - playing our beloved 1960's theme song. Chosen by our supporters.
We need your financial support to source components for the craft including sails, balsa wood and bike parts; build and transport the Buggy and its crew to the event on September 15th and cover the rewards. We have a pretty stellar project which we are building to WIN and superb rewards for the batman and adrenaline enthusiast in YOU.