- We are Haeckels; a body care and perfumery brand.
- Margate, a historic seaside town in the south east of England is famous for tourism and amusements, it was also famous for the natural health benefits of the sea, the chalk reef and the surrounding coastline, which at present isn't supported.
- Haeckels aims to bring back a traditional Victorian sea bathing machine, with a state of the art sauna inside.
- The sauna will be run by local people for the benefit of the community and will revive a part of the heritage of the town that has been lost.
- Sea bathing in Margate was widely known about along with the health benefits of the sea. Bathing machines were all along the coast to protect modesty when bathing whilst enjoying the local waters. They are described in 1805 as being:
- 'four-wheeled carriages, covered with canvas, and having at one end of them an umbrella of the same materials which is let down to the surface of the water, ... machine by a few steps is concealed from the public view, whereby the most refined female is enabled to enjoy the advantages of the sea with the strictest delicacy.'
- The knowledge of the health benefits of the Margate coast and seawater has been lost and forgotten about since its Victorian hay day; by reminding the town of its rich health based heritage we think that we will encourage regeneration and give a spark to the community that could to bringing the town back to a mecca of natural health.
- Being run by members of the community is important to us as it means that the profits will go back into the local economy which could mean that by creating the sea bathing machine the locals will have more employment, prospects and an improved outlook on where they live.
- We have already commissioned a local architect who has made detailed designs of the machine incorporating the 'modesty hood' which was actually designed in margate by Benjamin Beale.and. A local carpenter has also been found who knows how to go ahead with achieving the designs we have made in line with the traditional sea bathing machines that were once in Margate.
- By discussing our ideas with the local council and have their support for the sea bathing machine to return to the margate coast.
- We will be cladding the machine in pieces of wood which are each etched with the name of one of our kickstarter backers; the tradition of carving names on the cliffs at margate reflected in our design.
- Once the machine is built by our craftsmen we will stock it with our range of natural sauna treatments which will compliment the water that surrounds the machine and invigorate and energise the occupants.
- When the machine has been finished we can then start finding members of the local community that we can train about the health benefits of the sea and the sauna itself. We will then be able to open the sauna for the first time to the kickstarter backers before opening it up to the local community and wider world!
- On completing funding we can go ahead with construction of our design and refining the details within the sauna itself in the next 6 months.
- We will be working closely with the local council to arrange housing for the sea bathing machine along the coastline as well as promoting and advertising our project in the local community which will hopefully start off building up an improved vision and feeling of the local area. This can be started at the same time as constructing the machine.
- The sauna should be ready to open in early July 2015 exclusively for our kickstarter backers before then opening to the local community and world.
Risks and challenges
Haeckels, as a brand, promotes the health giving properties of the Kent coast and so a big challenge is encouraging and promoting year round beach use.
We also hope to change the perception of the seaside town itself and educate people about our fantastic coastlineLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)