How many times have you struggled to keep your tabletop RPG campaigns completely organized? Have you ever lost track of what your players have and haven't learned? Is “real-life” limiting the time you have to prepare for games? Do you waste precious time during games searching for details from previous sessions, some of which occurred months or even years ago? These challenges, and others, are what we set out to solve with Realm Works.
Realm Works takes campaign management for tabletop RPGs to the next level, making it faster and easier to prepare for games, and greatly enhancing the actual game experience. You can use Realm Works with any RPGs you play — it’s “game system neutral” and can be used no matter what type of campaign you run. GMs can create, manage, and share their world using a single tool, rather than trying to cobble things together with multiple, disconnected applications. Realm Works was built by GMs and players for GMs and players.
Note! All content provided through stretch goals will consist of the material fully integrated into Realm Works and ready for use - not as PDFs. The delivery dates on the material will vary in accordance with the publishing plans of each respective publisher below.
Stretch Goal #1 - Successful!
Once $105,000 is raised, all backers at the Pack Hunter pledge level and higher will receive access to the upcoming re-release of Halls of the Mountain King for Pathfinder from Open Design.
Halls of the Mountain King is a non-traditional dungeon, an homage to Moria and Undermountain that adds a few twists. Plot and story have been worked out collaboratively in the private Open Design forum. The dwarves are a hard-working group, whose mining of adamantine lured them ever-deeper and whose pursuit of ore led them into dangerous territory. The vertical dungeon goes from the depths of the earth through the great halls and works of a vanished clan, up to a snowy mountaintop spire and an (optional) airship dock.
Estimated delivery: September 2013.
Stretch Goal #2 - Successful!
Once $110,000 is raised, all backers at the Pack Hunter pledge level and higher will receive access to the Blood Drive Trilogy for Deadlands (Savage Worlds) from Pinnacle.
The Blood Drive series is a complete campaign. Each adventure starts and ends in such a fashion that if you want to use it by itself without the others in the series, you can easily do so. In fact, they’re perfect for getting a posse from one part of the Weird West to another if that’s what you’re looking for, Marshal. Used together, the three combine to take the heroes from greenhorn cowpunchers to hardened trail hands fighting for their cattle, their land, and even their lives!
Estimated delivery: August 2013.
Stretch Goal #3 - Successful!
Once $130,000 is raised, all backers at the Timber Wolf pledge level and higher will receive access to The Blight, an upcoming Adventure Path for Pathfinder from Frog God Games. Richard Pett’s Twisted City - The Blight, is planned to be 12 districts of a city with 12 adventures, providing an Adventure Path with 12 meaty installments.
Between is a temptation too great for some; a land of plenty (and danger) on the doorstep, rich in possible wealth and with the draw of Between Vessels—curious objects that retain memories, feelings and even souls—the reasons for venturing into the land are numerous, and have drawn many. The Illuminati, using the funds of the royal family, have struck again and again into this new empire, and those very incursions threaten to undo the Blight. Constant incursions into Between from the Blight have weakened the fabric of the wall that separates the two places. There are those who wish the levee to break, who would revel in the chaos and madness of life and souls that would happen should a fracture burst and a tidal wave of Between pour into the city. There are also those who have a conscience, who oppose the Illuminati and the royal family as much as they safely can in the face of such power. They know nothing about the levee, but they have their suspicions. And into this world come the PCs…
Estimated delivery: October 2013 and ongoing for 12 months.
Stretch Goal #4 - Successful!
Once $145,000 is raised, all backers at the Pack Hunter pledge level and higher will receive access to the Pirate's Guide to Freeport from Green Ronin Publishing.
Freeport is Green Ronin's signature city setting and has been home to thousands of RPG campaigns since its launch in 2000. Classic fantasy elements, cruel-hearted pirates, and Lovecraftian horror come together in the rum-fueled metropolis known as the City of Adventure. Now a new era is beginning. The Pirate's Guide to Freeport is the definitive new sourcebook for the City of Adventure, set 5 years after the events of the original Freeport Trilogy. This is a pure setting book, focusing entirely on the people, places, politics, and perils of Freeport and containing no game statistics of any kind. The Pirate's Guide to Freeport can thus be used with any fantasy RPG.
The Freeport Companion for FATE and at least one other game system will also be included, detailing cultists, pirates, serpent people, and much more.
Estimated delivery: September 2013.
Stretch Goal #5 - Successful!
Once $165,000 is raised, all backers at the Timber Wolf pledge level and
higher will receive fully integrated access to the Razor Coast, an
upcoming campaign for Pathfinder from Frog God Games. Razor Coast is the
long anticipated Caribe-Polynesian flavored, Age of Sail swashbuckling
RPG campaign envisioned and designed by Nicolas Logue. It has been
praised for its ambitious and original design, its epic flavor and its
lurid, full-color art – including a cover by the award winning Wayne
Reynolds. Logue tapped a team of veteran designers to help develop and
write Razor Coast, including Lou Agresta, Adam Daigle, Tim Hitchcock,
and John Ling. Razor Coast isn’t just an adventure, it’s part setting,
part adventure path, and part toolkit to build your own unique campaign.
It’s non-linear and will never play the same way twice.
Estimated delivery: September 2013.
Special Stretch Goal - The Pursuit of 2,000
This stretch goal is completely independent of the dollar-based objectives above and instead tied to the total number of backers we achieve. If we hit 2,000 backers or more, regardless of the dollars raised, every backer at the Timber Wolf level and higher will receive a free Hero Lab gift license! This is a license you can give to someone else in your gaming group, or you're welcome to be greedy and use it for yourself. :)
Why are we doing this? We've received numerous requests to offer Hero Lab licenses in conjunction with the Kickstarter. We didn't want to do that originally because Realm Works is game system neutral, while Hero Lab only supports specific games. But we're now in stretch goal territory and we want everyone to know we've been listening! So we're going out on a limb and offering something big if we can hit an admittedly big target. The Hero Lab license itself is a $30 value, and combined with all the other great stuff at the Tiimber Wolf level, this will be a steal for everyone who backs at that level or higher.
For those of you who don't play games that Hero Lab supports, we're providing you with a gift license. This means you can freely give the license to a friend (or an enemy, if you prefer) that does play those games. And if you can get a little quid pro quo in return for the license, we're cool with that. At the present time, the list of games that Hero Lab supports includes: Pathfinder, Shadowrun, D&D 3.5, D&D 4E, Savage Worlds, Mutants & Masterminds (2E & 3E), Call of Cthulhu, and World of Darkness.
For backers who have selected the $100 optional extra that includes a Hero Lab license, we will add a new $70 option once we eclipse the 2,000 backer threshold. This will allow you to lower your pledge and use the free license for yourself if you wish. However, that new option won't be made available until we actually reach 2,000 backers. You are also welcome to give away the additional license as a gift.
Estimated delivery: March 2013
Summary of Rewards
Below is a summary of all additional rewards provided to each of the various pledge levels. See the "Additional Details on Rewards and Extras" section further below for more information.
Check Out These Additional Videos!
What Makes Realm Works Unique
Unlike many software Kickstarters, initial Realm Works development is nearly complete. We've been evolving Realm Works for over three years and will be releasing it in July, 2013. Numerous features are already in place, as we demonstrate in the video, but there are many more we want to include in the initial release. Your support of this Kickstarter will allow us to accelerate our current development efforts so we can pack more features into the product in time for its public release.
Our mission with Realm Works is to streamline and improve the tabletop role-playing experience for both GMs and players by empowering GMs to create, manage, and share any world they can imagine. We're doing this in four ways:
- First, provide tools for GMs to efficiently create and assemble materials for their games in a way that's simple to manage, organize, and search.
- Second, let GMs reveal content to players as it's uncovered during play, without introducing extra work for the GM.
- Third, enable GMs to share their creations and smoothly integrate the work of others into their own material, weaving it all together into their campaign.
- Finally, provide a community repository where additional material can be obtained and easily integrated with any other content you have, including the GM's own creations, letting GMs build their games from whatever sources they find compelling or interesting.
Key Realm Works Features
As we demonstrate in our video, Realm Works lets you manage your RPG content in one unified environment. This includes all the people, places, things, and events of your world. Beyond just text, it encompasses pictures and maps, custom calendars, dates tied to those calendars, statblocks, Hero Lab portfolios, audio and video files, and a wealth of other material. Realm Works weaves all this content together through a simple, intuitive interface.
Realm Works provides many powerful features and capabilities which are shown in the video, in images on this page, and on our web site. Everything shown is from the current version of Realm Works, which is in the hands of our Beta team right now. Here's a summary of the most important features:
- Quickly develop new content and revise existing ideas for any genre (e.g. fantasy, sci-fi, modern) and any play style.
- Effortlessly manage diverse content, including images, maps, Hero Lab portfolios, statblocks, audio, video, and virtually anything else.
- Intuitively organize content for on-demand access and review during play, placing everything at your fingertips for quick and easy retrieval. No more leafing through pages of notes to find the information you need!
- Determine exactly what information is known by the players and what remains hidden at a glance.
- With our patent-pending Fog of World™ technology, Realm Works makes it a breeze to incrementally reveal and display every aspect of your world to players, requiring only a single mouse click. Revolutionize how you share your world with your players, easily showing them only what they learn during the game.
- The incremental reveal of maps makes it trivial to illustrate to players what has or has not been explored or discovered.
- Connections between your content are automatically detected and created, allowing instant access to all the interconnected elements of your world.
- Flexible navigation tools let you instantly view any aspect of your world as easily as browsing the internet.
- Track and visualize all the relationships that exist between selected content in your world. Realm Works makes it easy to manage secret identities, view relationship diagrams like family trees, and even track attitudes between or among NPCs or characters. Keeping track of hidden schemes, subterfuge, and actual motivations behind the scenes has never been easier.
- Immediately see what the players learned during a particular span of time. You can find exactly what was learned during the last game session, making recaps before the next session fast and accurate. You can even view a summary of everything the players have learned during the entire campaign, even if it spans many real-life years, and instantly access the details associated with that content.
- Full text search instantly locates what you need, and you can tag any content you wish and leverage the tag for filtering your content. This is extremely powerful in conjunction with Realm Works’ cross-linking capabilities, allowing instant access to the content you seek.
- Place pins on maps to indicate significant locations, events or encounters. Use these maps for navigation to immediately access the information associated with individual pins.
- Fully customizable templates get you started building your world immediately and let you smoothly organize diverse information about all the people, places, things, and events in your world.
- Enter your own original content just like a word processor or efficiently cut-and-paste from source material you already possess.
- At a glance, see all the connections for whatever you’re viewing, both to and from other content. Instantly see everything that references an important NPC or item.
- Weave the critical story elements of your world together and visually outline your plots, whether they are epic quests or minor story arcs.
- Create custom calendars for your world. Link multiple calendars together and see how all the dates translate to your master calendar. Calendars can reflect different in-game cultures, lunar calendars, and worlds.
- Conveniently manage game notes and preparation tasks with full linking to game content.
- Easily show material to players during and after play without having to create additional, separate materials for them.
Realm Works also includes “Isle of Kandril”, a complete setting created by Super Genius Games and available only with Realm Works. This fantasy-based setting is compatible with Pathfinder and other fantasy game systems. Use it “as-is”, easily customize it to fit your world, or simply leverage it as a guide to create your own dynamic settings.
What We Will Do With Your Support
As we indicated above, initial Realm Works development is nearly complete, with release slated for July, 2013. This Kickstarter will allow us to accelerate our current development efforts and pack more features into the product for its public release.
- Full player access to revealed aspects of the world and the ability to download or review anything they’ve learned about the world. Our Fog of World technology governs the information that players can access, limiting them to only what they’ve learned through play.
- GMs can share their creations through the cloud for use by others.
- GMs can browse the work of others and integrate it into their own worlds. Imagine being able to find a pre-made encounter, or a tavern, or an entire region with adventures and NPCs. Drop it into your own world, change a few names, hook it into locations in your world, and it’s fully integrated for use. No scribbled notes. No Post-Its. No juggling between PDFs, books, and your own files. Realm Works is built from the ground up for exactly this purpose.
- Secure cloud backup of all material for GMs.
- Synchronization of different computers to the cloud, with automatic change detection and resolution.
Of course, if we exceed our funding goal, we'll be able to accomplish even more through stretch goals to be announced. There are many additional major features we want to add that will make Realm Works invaluable to virtually all GMs.
As you can imagine, we won't be able to achieve all this without your help, so please tell your friends about Realm Works and have them check out this Kickstarter as well!
We've provided additional information on several podcasts. In these interviews, you can hear more about how Realm Works will enhance game preparation, how it can be used during your games, and some of the pain points we'll solve for GMs. You can also hear how we envision the cloud and community repository being leveraged. These interviews feature our very own Colen McAlister (the Scots Wolf):
- The D6 Generation (Colen's interview starts at around the 2:05 mark.)
- Geekerati Radio. (The first part of the interview focuses on Hero Lab, and the Realm Works discussions starts about halfway through the conversation.)
- The Demiplane of Gaming #15: Realm Works - Streamlined RPG Campaign Tools
- Chronicles Live Episode #2
Options and Extras
You can add to your rewards, or pick up something for a friend! There are a number of options available:
How it works!
Simply increase your pledge to include whichever extras you desire. When you change your pledge, make sure you add the total for the extras (plus any international shipping as noted) to your original pledge value. At the end of the Kickstarter, we'll prepare a survey that lets you indicate what option(s) you'd like for the additional pledge.
Additional Details on Rewards and Extras
Realm Works Developer Blog - You'll receive a monthly update around the middle of the month with developer updates on Realm Works. These updates will be more detailed than our general newsletter updates, and you'll get the information before we announce it to the public! A true insider's view of Realm Works and its march to public release.
Personal Avatar Icon - You'll be able to personalize your Realm Works account! If you choose this additional reward, you'll be able to provide us with your own icon that can be used in conjunction with your Realm Works account rather than selecting one of the standard avatars. Dimensions required for your Avatar will be specified prior to the release of Realm Works. Artwork is subject to review and approval by Lone Wolf Development.
Realm Works T-shirt - You'll receive the official Realm Works supporter t-shirt if you choose this additional reward. Shipping to any address in the U.S. is included; international backers please add $10 for shipping.
New Pathfinder Add-ons for Hero Lab - If you choose this additional reward, all the new data package add-ons for Pathfinder we release in 2013 will be added to your existing Hero Lab license. If you don't already own Hero Lab, you can select the reward that entitles you to these new add-ons, as well as to a copy of Hero Lab and our add-on for the "Advanced Player's Guide" for Pathfinder. (Please Note: The add-ons provided through this reward do not include those released on behalf of third-party publishers. It is limited to add-ons for Paizo products only.)
Never Unprepared: The Complete Game Master’s Guide to Prep. From award-winning author Phil Vecchione of Gnome Stew, this guide will help you prepare for games faster, avoid common pitfalls, and have more fun in the process. Described as “Phil Vechionne’s epic rock ballad to game prep”, we’ll be weaving this meaty treatise into Realm Works, allowing you to leverage the wisdom therein like never before.
All Backers who choose the Pack Member ($35 pledge) or higher reward tier will receive the material from Never Unprepared (a $9.95 value) fully integrated into Realm Works and absolutely free!
Masks: 1,000 Memorable NPCs for Any Roleplaying Game. This is the ultimate NPC resource written by the award-winning authors of Gnome Stew. In fact, Masks won the 2012 Gold ENnie Award for Best Aid/Accessory, and was also nominated for Product of the Year. Within this weighty tome, you’ll find NPCs for fantasy, science fiction and modern games, all easily adaptable to any genre and any RPG, just like Realm Works! Every one of these NPCs will be re-created within Realm Works and available for instant use within your campaigns. Each NPC has a role and specific traits, so you’ll be able to quickly locate exactly what you need through Realm Works' powerful search capabilities.
All Backers who choose the Pack Hunter ($50 pledge) or higher reward tier will receive all 1,000 NPCs from Masks (a $16.95 value) fully integrated into Realm Works at no charge!
Eureka: 501 Adventure Plots to Inspire Game Masters. Written by nine veteran game masters, all authors on Gnome Stew, Eureka is more than simple adventure seeds. As you know, adventure hooks alone don’t give you much to work with, but fully developed adventures can be hard to personalize and fit into an on-going game. Eureka strikes a great middle ground, providing the main ingredients and letting you decide how to prepare them. This highly regarded material includes plot hooks to draw your players into the adventure, as well as encounters to flesh them out.
Eureka contains plots for fantasy, science fiction and horror games and they are easily adaptable to multiple genres. We’re building these plots into Realm Works for you so you can quickly tailor them to your purposes and seamlessly weave them into your campaign. Each plot will be tagged with suitable keywords, such as “intrigue”, “exploration”, “combat-heavy”, and many more. Consequently, it will be easy to find what you need and leverage it within Realm Works.
All Backers who choose the Timber Wolf ($65 pledge) or higher reward tier will receive all 501 plots from Eureka (a $16.95 value) fully integrated into Realm Works for free!
The Grande Temple of Jing. It is said that Jing, the trickster god, stole life from the creators, shadow from the darkness, and time from the universe itself. He tricked plants and animals into giving up their secrets - then he bestowed that knowledge upon men and beasts. He has made fools of kings and gods, and taken from them their weapons, their totems, and their finest treasures.
It is also said that one day he settled down, having stolen everything in the world that he desired to possess. Jing built a home for himself, an incredible fortress fixed somewhere between fantasy and reality. The archetypal labyrinth, it acts as both home and temple, and between its walls he has stored all the wondrous things he has acquired over the eons. Of course, he has guarded these treasures with horrific beasts, deadly traps, and devious puzzles. But that's not the point. The point is that Jing invites gods and men alike to visit at any time, take whatever treasure they can win, and leave with all that they can carry. So long as they can find the door that leads out!
Check out the incredible line-up of talent behind this dungeon: Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, Ed Greenwood, Dave Gross, Chris Pramas, Skip Williams, Matt Mayfield, Jim Ward, Larry Wilhelm, and Stan! have all contributed to this amazing project. Even Grimtooth the Troll has a role.
All Backers who choose the Timber Wolf ($65 pledge) or higher reward tier will receive this challenging temple fully integrated into Realm Works at no charge!
Risks and challenges
Every project has risks, and software projects are notorious for delays. The key difference for Realm Works is that most of the work on Realm Works has already been completed, so there’s virtually no risk to product delivery.
Lone Wolf Development has been at the forefront of developing tabletop gaming software for over a decade. Our first product, Army Builder, had a profound impact on the tabletop miniatures arena and still reigns as the industry standard against which all other roster construction tools are compared. For RPGs, our Hero Lab product has won two ENnie Awards for Best Game Aid and is the most complete and powerful character management software for game systems including Pathfinder, Shadowrun, and many more. With Realm Works, we're simply taking things up another notch, and, as you can see in our video, we're already close to completion.
As with any software project, there is a chance that the release of Realm Works could be delayed, either due to problems on our part (a delay in hiring additional staff, for example) or because additional functionality is needed before the product is ready. This could impact the release of Realm Works to the public.
It’s also possible that we could face unexpected challenges in building Realm Works’ cloud capabilities. Building a multi-user server system is a lot of work and involves a lot of complexity. However, we've spent a lot of time coming up with a solid design for this, and have good tools to build it, so we’re confident that we can make this happen.
With your support, we can put the last building blocks in place and bring Realm Works to gamers everywhere!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)