"LADAMA takes on traditional genres with confidence and vigor without being constrained by their conventions. The result is a vivid montage of music of the Americas with irresistible spirit and universal appeal."
-NPR; "All Things Considered"
LADAMA is four women from four countries with the singular mission of creating music that brings communities together with joy, energy and musical dialogue, creating a sum bigger than it's parts.
Help us make our second full-length album in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil!!
Our music is a collective experience, born out of hours of living, writing and playing together as we learn more about each other's music, cultures and languages.
All of us still live in our own countries. So when we write music together we need to find time and space for this. Unfortunately time and space aren't free. And we truly want to create great music. For our debut album, LADAMA, we wrote, arranged, composed and co-produced all of the songs while on the road. But this time is different.
We want to make an album in each of our countries!
In 2016 we recorded our debut, LADAMA, in the United States. For our second album we are heading to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to work with acclaimed producer, Kassin who has produced such luminaries as Gal Costa, Bebel Gilberto and his own group ++2's with Moreno Veloso. We feel lucky and honored to work with him!
Our first album was our ticket to continue collaborating and connecting with youth in our countries. We envision our 2nd album as a platform to work and connect with women and non-binary artists around the world!
WHERE WILL THE MONEY GO IF YOU BECOME A BACKER?
Though we are grateful to be receiving some money from our label, Six Degrees, it is not enough to cover the expenses for making an album like ours. Your contribution will pay for:
- Roundtrip plane tickets to Rio from New York City and then back to our home countries
- Housing and Accommodations for all members of LADAMA in New York, Los Angeles and Massachusetts while writing our record in between tour dates and also all of our time spent in Rio recording the album.
- Fees for guests artists on our record. Our community is strong and beautiful and we want to invite horns, string players and others to join us!
- Recording costs for strings, horns and other extraneous New York-based sonic additions
- We hope to document some of the process of recording our album so that we can show and share how women work in the music industry. Representation matters!
Here's a rundown:
- Our thank you! - For $1, your name will be featured on our list of supporters on our website and social media.
- Hello from Rio! - For $10 live-stream part of our recording session in Rio de Janeiro, plus your name on our list of supporters.
- Digital download of our new album - For $25, PLUS, a surprise bonus track not included - special only to Kickstarter - live-stream from Rio and your name on our list of supporters.
- CD of our new album - For $35, an autographed, hard copy of our new album in CD form, download of a bonus track, live-stream from Rio and your name on our list of supporters.
- Vinyl of our new album - For $75, an autographed vinyl, download of a bonus track, live-stream from Rio and your name on our list of supporters.
- Workshop Video - For $100, a 10 minute instructional, workshop video with the members of LADAMA! If you have kids, or want to learn something as a group this is the way to go. LADAMA will teach you a skill from one of their workshops using body percussion, rhythm and song. Includes an autographed vinyl OR CD, download of a bonus track, live-stream from Rio and your name on our list of supporters.
- One hour Skype lesson with one member of LADAMA - For $250, learn about a new instrument with one of the members of LADAMA! Work with either Daniela, Lara, Sara or Mafer to learn the basics of pandeiro, tambor alegre, bandola llanera or vocal techniques. Includes an autographed vinyl OR CD, download of a bonus track, live-stream from Rio and your name on our list of supporters.
- Cover song - For $750, LADAMA will cover a song of your choice! We will send it to you in live, video form. Includes an autographed vinyl OR CD, download of a bonus track, live-stream from Rio and your name on our list of supporters.
- Private House Show/Meet and Greet - For $2,000, LADAMA will give a 30 minute, intimate, acoustic performance at your house with a meet and greet! This will be limited to the New York City area with some availability in other parts of the US and some countries in Europe. Includes an autographed vinyl OR CD, download of a bonus track, live-stream from Rio and your name on our list of supporters.
- In Person Workshop - For $2,500, LADAMA will give a one-hour workshop at an educational institution or organization of your choice. We will explore rhythms and oral traditions of our countries using body percussion and song. Includes an autographed vinyl OR CD, download of a bonus track, live-stream from Rio and your name on our list of supporters.
LADAMA was created in October of 2014 at a residency called Onebeat in California where we all met for the first time. Mafer Bandola came up with the idea to bring all of us - Lara Klaus, Daniela Serna and Sara Lucas - to Barquisimeto, Venezuela to play music for and work with youth in her community, Cruz Blanca. We went back to our respective home countries and spent the next year and a half raising $75,000 on our own.
With the help of many grants and a Kickstarter (thank you Kickstarter supporters!!) we accomplished this and we were able to tour all of our home countries of Colombia, Venezuela, The United States and Brazil. From January of 2016 - May of 2016, we gave free workshops and public performances in our communities.
Along the way our journey allowed us not only to work with the youth of North and South America but also to meet the late, great Magín Diaz, watch Naná Vasconcelos open his last Carnaval in Recife and create a collaborative performance a piece with the students of El Puente at the renown National Sawdust in Brooklyn, NY. We wrote songs that reflected our journey together culled from the sounds of all of our histories - those deeply rooted in our cultures. This journey transformed us into LADAMA.
By the end of May in 2016, we were ready to produce an EP of songs. With our new musical collaborator and bass player, Pat Swoboda, we headed to Machines With Magnets in Pawtucket, Rhode Island to work with Seth Manchester and record our songs.
That EP turned into our full-length debut album and"LADAMA" was released to acclaim in the fall of 2017. We followed this with a world tour and have been on the road ever since.
Some of our highlights include returning to Colombia and Venezuela, opening for Jimmy Carter and Bryan Stevenson of the Equal Justice Initiative and being 2018 TED Speakers. We played Monterrey Jazz Fest and SF Jazz, gave workshops at Dartmouth and Washington University and even returned to Sara's alma mater, University City High School to work with the students there!
Now we are ready to make our second full length album!
Now after playing three continents, giving workshops at universities, and working with students in schools across the Americas we are ready to make our next full-length album.
But our biggest challenge is that we continue to live in four different countries.
In our last year and a half of touring we have had some moments - two magical weeks in Massachusetts at a residency at Antena Cloudfarm (thank you Judd and Michi!) where we wrote the first half of our 2nd album, an afternoon in Brooklyn - basically only "here and there" to write new songs.
Being a backer will make you a patron of the arts, a supporter of women artists and a part of our family.
We care about our international community!
We can't do this without our supporters, our audience and our community of musicians. It is all or nothing and we will receive none of the money pledged unless we reach our goal of $15,000!
THANK YOU SO MUCH! MUCH LOVE FROM US,
Risks and challenges
There are always risks and challenges to creating art. But we are going to make this album come rain or shine! We were able to accomplish so much with our first Kickstarter, our community of supporters and our team - we know that we can take this next album far, working with new communities around the world.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)