Back this project
Back this project
Stay up to date on everything Plunderer's Run!
Introduction Video and Gameplay footage coming soon!
Please check back again soon as we are updating this page DAILY with new images and GIFs of gameplay! Campaign scheduled to start April 1st!
The planet is Agrulith and the year is 1650, the start of the golden age of pirates, and you must make a choice that will effect the entire climate of the game. Do you want to join the pirates and become one yourself? Or, do you want to take the side of the Barnsley Navy and fight off the pirates? Both have their own advantages, and both are after the same thing, the Blue Moon Artefact!
Plunderer's Run is a strategy game much like the old Tradewinds games, but with a lot more action and a lot more at risk! You assume the role of a Merchant Captain at the start of the game, however, the voyages and choices you make will start to make you either a feared Navy Captain or Pirate Captain. If you choose to do enough in the game for one side, you will become a Legendary Captain, and will sail the seas looking like one!
- Adventure: Do voyages, find new ports, and gossip at the local tavern to find out anything you can about the Blue Moon Artefact and why everyone wants this legendary relic.
- Dynamic Endings: Did you decide you want to be a pirate? Or did you want to be a Navy Captain? The story is different depending on what kind of Captain you decide to be!
- Mutiny System: Are you travelling to ports with barely any food? Are you not getting gold at a rate your crew would deem efficient? You better change your strategy or you might just find yourself on an island! Solve puzzles to escape the island and return to a port. If you must ask how you got there, you may have had to use your own... back hair?
- Randomly Generated and Dynamic Characters: Characters in ports are randomly generated, but have a large impact on the story. Characters also change while you're playing. If you've started to become a Pirate Captain and the mayor you have favor with loses an election to a mayor that favors Navy Captains, you might have a big problem on your hands!
- Randomly Generated Enemies: Enemies that you encounter are generated from a huge database that we have created to keep the game fresh and to keep you guessing at every corner!
- Upgradeable Ships: Every ship in the game is upgradeable. Choose your upgrades wisely, as each ship has their own maximum amount of upgrade slots and once you have made your choice there is no going back. Thankfully, the shipbuilders give you plenty of information in advance to help you make the right decision for what you want!
- Skilling System: Are you tired of just buying and selling goods between markets? No worries we have you covered! You can visit special ports that you find on the map that allow you to gather resources yourself and get the HUGE profit margin you are looking for to buy that new ship or ship upgrade!
- Original Hand-Drawn Art: Each and every icon, pirate, captain, enemy, item, etc. that you see in the game is completely drawn from scratch. Hours and hours have been poured into creating everything visual about the game stand out, with many more hours to come. Sure there are some placeholders now, but that will absolutely not be the case when this game is complete.
- Build Your Own Port!: When you and your crew start getting enough loot, you can build your own port any way you would like! So if you want to gather resources, or enjoy the comforts (or chaos) of a Tavern build and name one yourself!
When you first start, you will be a captain with just a small ship, some gold, and no crew. You'll have to buy and sell goods at the markets in Agrulith, making sure that you make a profit along the way! You can also do Voyages to get more gold, items, and effect your Captain Rank (this is how you become a Pirate Captain or a Navy Captain). To get from port to port, you will have to sail some treacherous seas, sometimes you'll encounter pirates, other times you'll encounter denizens of the deep, be careful you don't want to lose your ship!
Once you start getting a grip on your finances, you can buy a new ship, upgrade your current ship, hire new crewmates to help you on your voyages, enjoy a nice brew at a local tavern, or start the construction of your own port!
If you're someone who loves to hoard items and search for ultra rare items, you can build a special Sea Portal. Here you can fight enemies to your hearts content and try to collect the THOUSANDS of items in the game. Who knows what kind of forgotten treasures could be found in the portal.
[Sea Portal image as seen on the map here]
[Special items icons here]
When you are comfortable with the game, it will be time to start exploring the story and lore behind the world of Agrulith. With voyages scattered throughout, and many story lines to follow on these voyages, you will discover a deep and engaging story that will keep you coming back for more.
[GIF of checking information about a quest and accepting it]
The voyages you select, enemies you fight, and ports you frequent will all have an influence on your Captain Rank. The story will change based on your rank and, if you're not careful, things might get out of hand quickly!
[GIF animation of player Captain Rank transitioning from Merchant Captain to Pirate Captain]
Agrulith - The World of Sea Trading
Agrulith is a large world with several continents to explore. Ports are scattered throughout each continent, but as the story progresses, other dangerous locations will appear for you to explore. The game will feature at least 30 locations for you to explore, with the possibility of more if we reach some stretch goals!
There will be several ship types in the game, the list below defines most of those ship types that are of the generic variety. We have some special types in the works!
As discussed earlier, there will be several types of enemies in Plunderer's Run. Below shows a preview of only five of the planned 75 unique enemies.
The behemoth, a monster bigger than your ship! He may move slow, but you better slay him quick or he will capsize your ship!
What pirate game would be complete without a Kraken... or two, or three? None, absolutely none!
Normal squids could be dangerous, but what about a DRAGON SQUID??
As if the waters weren't treacherous enough, why does there have to be HYDRAS? One headed monsters are bad enough!
And of course, there are always other captains trying to steal your loot!
For every 100 likes we get on the Plunderer's Run Facebook page, everyone on Facebook will be able to vote on which legendary relics will enter the game! The more likes we get, the more relics!
If we get over 1,000 likes on Twitter, we will hold a vote that starts on May 1, 2019 at 12:00pm (CST) and ends on May 4th, 2019 at 12:00pm (CST). Voters will be deciding the very last item type to be added to the game!
Preview images of backer loot coming soon!
Ray Crabtree - @r4ym4n99
Former Logistics Manager turned indie Studio Director, Ray wears many hats. Ray does all of the programming, art, marketing, PR, and any other office wrangling necessary to keep things going. Ray has worked on one other published game called Fire Ye Cannons, which was released on Android in August, and has been working on games since 2006.
When Cory isn't working at his full time job as an IT professional, he does a lot of QA Testing on Plunderer's Run to ensure everything that is created works as intended!
When Ben isn't working full time in manufacturing, he is using his voice talents breathing life into the pirates we make for Plunderer's Run!
Connect with BluSurface Media!
- Facebook: Like and share with other scallywags!
- Twitter: Follow and tweet to us anytime!
- YouTube: Subscribe to our YouTube channel for some awesome pirate goodness.
- Twitch: Follow and Subscribe for upcoming art and development streams!
- Discord: Come and chat about the game with other buccaneers!
- Newsletter: Sign up for our monthly newsletter to get all the studio updates!
About Ray and Why We Chose Kickstarter
Ever since I left my job as a Logistics Manager, I have been doing contract work for companies, and working on Plunderer's Run in my spare time. I'm using Kickstarter so I can bring this dream of being an indie developer to life and gain some momentum on my first BIG game title. Kickstarter is making it possible for me to secure the last bit of funding I need to be able to shift on focusing on Plunderer's Run full time and to bring to you the best experience possible. Being an indie dev is hard, but the enjoyment I've gotten from doing all the coding and art by hand has been a wonderful experience, and I want to be able to share my experience and work with the world!
We will be using the funds to:
- Support the development team to expedite the release of Plunderer's Run. We want to get this game to you as quickly as possible!!
- Add more rich music, and voice talent. We want to be able to offer a rich experience, and to do that we want to hire more voice actors, and composers to ensure that the audio in Plunderer's Run is top notch!
Risks and challenges
As a team, we have a combined 16 years of experience in creating games. Now we don't have a lot of experience publishing games, as most have been hobby projects, but we have a business background and know what it takes to deliver a product on time and on budget.
Budget / Time Management : Our goal of $25,000 obviously won't last forever, but we have built enough time into our development timeline to ensure that the game has plenty of time to be finished while the funds are available. We use Trello to stay on task while adding new systems, features, and fixing bugs. Having a single person working on a game will require more time, but by staying on task and eliminating distractions by having an office, that time is used with maximum efficiency.
Unknowns: We know that a disaster can strike at any moment, but we have built in time to allow for this. We have multiple backups of the game both in the cloud, and on physical drives to prevent any catastrophic data loss. We also have connections that will be able to help with development in a pinch if we begin to get behind on a section of the project timeline.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter