Hi. I'm Neil, designer from Bristol, England. Owner and sole operator of 14Eight. The majority of my work is inspired by pop culture, horror and coffee. You can find examples of previous work through my website and Etsy.
I'm going to dive straight in and tell you what you're here for. The proposal for this project is to get a new batch of drink coasters made. Drink coasters inspired from cult horror favourite, The Shining. I appreciate variations of Overlook coasters are already on the market but I hope I can bring a different approach to the creation of these and offer enough within this project to make it worth your support.
The coasters will feature 2 different designs laser blasted onto stained (black) birch wood. 1 of these designs you'll be all too familiar with and is based on the rug pattern within the film. The other is simpler nod to the rug and actually started as a t-shirt design. I wanted to imagine that The Overlook wasn't just a single hotel but a chain of hotels. I approached this idea similar to developing a brand. The hexagonal shape represented the letter 'O' for Overlook and made perfect sense to use this as the logo.
The artwork is finished and the files are ready to be fired over to the manufacturer. The company I will be using is based in the UK and one I have worked with on several other projects, including alternative coaster designs. An example of one set is shown below and gives you a flavour of how the finished designs would look.
- Approx 8cm W x 9.22cm H
- Black stained birch - treated with protective sealant
- Laser engraved design
- Laser engraved logo on reverse
- The Twins: A pair of coasters, 1 of each design.
- Redrum: 4 pack of coasters, 2 of each design.
- Here's Johnny: 4 pack of coasters, 2 of each design + an exclusive Kickstarter coaster.
The exclusive coaster will feature 'design 1' (Overlook rug pattern) and will be laser etched onto matte black acrylic. Great for the office or your work space if you don't want to break up the original set. These will only be created and available for Kickstarter backers*. *For transparency, a very small number of extras will be ordered over demand, this is to cover worst case scenario of lost packages/damages. Extras may be sold within 4 pack bundles at a later date but I expect these to be extremely limited
Next up, the stretch goal. If we hit over £450 then all reward backers will be getting a little something extra... 2 free mini prints inspired by that mind altering rug design!
I don't often create work specifically for prints so these were a nice change of pace. With an abundance of movie posters already available I decided to take these in a different direction. Keeping the excellent rug pattern and adding some depth and distressing I'm really happy with how these turned out.
Times below are rough but this will give you an idea of what will follow if the project is a success. I'm estimating an arrival date of June, shipping location dependant and providing no bumps along the way.
Kickstarter funded! Thanks. When funding ends the cash is not immediately available. Amazon Payments, which processes all Kickstarter transactions, has a mandatory hold period of 14 days for funds (it takes another 3-5 days for the funds to transfer as well).
- Artwork sent to manufacturers (also A5 print artwork if applicable).
- Once artwork is confirmed production will commence. Estimated 4 weeks till receipt of coasters, less for prints.
- Coasters/prints received. I will check quality and prep for shipping.
- Postage. Please consider shipping times if you are outside of the UK. Europe is usually a few days, worldwide a couple of weeks. Items will be wrapped and sent in a small cardboard mailer. The boxes also accommodate A5 prints so if we hit the stretch goal these will be sent flat.
- For UK orders I'll be using Royal Mail, outside the UK orders will go using standard international shipping. I always obtain proof of purchase. I am not responsible for any tax or import duty due on receipt - please check the laws in your country if you are unsure.
If you would like to support and help promote the project please do. You can find me on the following pages and are welcome to tag me in any posts.
Any queries about the project just drop me a message. You're welcome to use Kickstarter, social media or can fire an email over to fourteeneight[at]outlook.com
Risks and challenges
Risks with this project are minimal. Artwork for the coasters and prints is finished. As mentioned, I have worked with the manufacturer before and have every confidence as to the quality of the finished product. Any bumps along the way that may affect timeliness I will keep you updated.
Please feel free to reach out if you have a question or need clarification on any aspect of the project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (25 days)