YOU BLEW ME AWAY!
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Thank you for your generosity, for seeing the potential of this project, for getting Garbanzo and me out of the box in only 24 days, and for getting us that much closer to fully funding this joyous exploration of the power of play. YOU ARE AMAZING! AND I AM SPEECHLESS!
Now that Garbanzo and I are out of the box, we're going to stop watching this page everyday. After all, we've got a movie to make! But if you missed the opportunity to donate during the campaign, it's NEVER TOO LATE! We love and appreciate your support any time. Just go to the SERIOUSLY website and push the donate button. www.seriouslythemovie.com/play
More ways to play
- You can buy some swanky SERIOUSLY! Swag at our store and proceeds will go directly to the film: http://cafepress.com/seriousythemovie
- We'd love to stay in touch with you so please sign up on our mailing list. We'll update you on our progress and let you know about special events. There is so much to come: http://seriouslythemovie.com/play/
- You can still buy tickets to join the crew and donors for a celebratory Rooftop Wine and Twister Party in Oakland on a Sunday afternoon, date tbd (in November) http://seriouslythemovie.com/play/
- Run away and join the Circus Arts Play Day the day before our SF Premiere (9/13). You'll meet our wondrously wacky friends Jefe and Kelly who really KNOW HOW TO PLAY. WATCH THEM HERE. It's a total hoot! Tickets are $150. You can buy them here: http://seriouslythemovie.com/play/
- The future of work is play! I'd love to help you make your workplace more playful! I offer a Keynote, a Teambuilding Training, Coaching services and more. Find out how here: http://seriouslythemovie.com/now-playing-at-work
If you donated we will be contacting you by Oct. 20 to be sure you get your rewards.
I'm so deeply grateful for you and this wild adventure called Kickstarter. You have all helped me remember that the world IS INDEED full of playmates and that EVERYWHERE really IS a playground and that our true nature REALLY IS boundless and free! Thank you for making SERIOUSLY! A movie about PLAY possible.
With a great big mountain of gratitude and delight,
Gwen and the "Team"
Garbanzo, Michael, Priya, Sharath, Audrey, David, Sarah, Elizabeth, Marisa and Chris
LET'S RAISE $50,000!
If we raise $50,000, we'll be able to make a 30 min. pilot for broadcast, we'll have a really robust proposal for the full-length film, and we'll cover this hot content:
- The great video game debate - Are video games making us stupid, crazy, and lonely? Or are they our salvation? The answer isn't simple. I'll include many perspectives and convey the complexity of this issue and what's at stake.
- How play heals trauma - Healers share some of the miraculous results they've achieved using play with war veterans, earthquake survivors, and other victims of violence.
- How play creates and heals communities - We'll explore what happens when Arabs and Jews play soccer together, when parents reclaim their neighborhoods from cars, and when whole cities become game boards.
- These are some of my favorite topics and I can't wait to explore them!
THE LATEST SUPER FUN THING
We invited a few of you to send us a short video telling us why you're supporting a movie about play and giving a shout out for Seriously! We cut your pieces together and made THIS super fun piece!
Seriously! A Movie About Play
What do a toddler, a neuroscientist, a Yoruban High Priestess, and Wavy Gravy all have in common? You got it (I knew you were smart)! They're all part of a motley chorus making a serious case for the power of play. Add some gripping stories, a promiscuous red ball, and an irrepressible menagerie of playmates and you've got Seriously! The movie.
Seriously! The movie is an hour-long documentary that provides inspiring and irrefutable evidence of play's vital importance in every part of our lives. It shares powerful stories of play healing trauma, reducing crime, resolving conflicts, finding ingenious solutions to seemingly intractable problems, and making life worth living (to name just a few).
BECOME A PLAY ANGEL! I'll cut to the chase. We really can't make this film without your help. No kidding. (Cue violin music) So far this project has been carried by passion, awesome volunteers, a sense of humor, and more of my own personal funds than anybody would advise. We need at least another $25,000 to finish a 20 mn. pilot, secure our PBS distribution contract, and attract sponsors. The more we raise the longer and better the pilot will be (see Where Your Money Will Go below for details). Your participation truly makes the difference!
If you need your donation to be tax-deductible, let us know (but you should know that it takes another 6% off what we receive).
WANT TO SEE MORE? Watch the full 4 min. trailer by clicking on the irresistible boxer below (but don't forget to come back and contribute).
To see what some delightful play experts have to say about us watch this!
WHY A MOVIE ABOUT PLAY?
”The opposite of play is not work, it’s depression.” Brian Sutton-Smith, Harvard University
...and the statistics on depression are astonishing! Over 18 million people in the U.S. alone are suffering from it and in 2007, suicide was the third leading cause of death in young people. And this is just the tip of the iceberg of the proven emotional, physical, social and spiritual costs of play-deprivation. In the meantime, schools are eliminating recesses while adults are working longer hours with shorter vacations in more stultifying jobs than ever before.
Let's face it, most of us are exhausted and over-worked. And our children are in serious trouble. To change our lifestyles we need to KNOW that play is not a luxury, that our basic health and well-being depend on it. Seriously! The movie will make the importance of play irrefutable and help unleash the immense resources we need in order to meet the challenges of our time.
Thank you so much for contributing what you can. If you can't afford to give financially right now, but want to play and find out if Garbanzo and I get out of the box, you can sign up HERE . You'll get my video blog updates from inside the page.
Whether you support the project financially or not, you can help by spreading the word. Send an email to your friends, pin a post about it on your Facebook page, comment about it on other FB pages, share it with group lists, tweet about it, retweet our tweets, retweet other supporters' retweets, or heck, just sing it from the top of a mountain. JUST SHARE IT ANY WAY YOU CAN! We would be positively delighted!
PLUS...you can play with us and help spread the word about the campaign on Dance Where You Are Day. On September 18th. Find out more HERE!
WHERE YOUR MONEY WILL GO
At the end of 2011 I posted a 9 min. teaser on Vimeo, which got 34,000 plays in 154 countries in three weeks. Since then the project has received three grants and generous private donations that have enabled us to film about 1/3 of the interviews.
With $25,000 we will be able to cover the following topics:
- The evolution of play in animals and humans
- Early childhood development and the crisis created by current trends
- The possibilities and benefits of play through old age
If we raise $50,000 we will be able to create a 30 min. piece that includes these topics:
- The great video game debate
- How play heals trauma
- How play transforms communities and public spaces
And with $75,000 will be able to produce a piece that includes these topics:
- The signs of an emerging play movement
- Creativity, innovation, and discovery
- How all of life can be play
And with $100,000 we can finish the 1 hour production that includes:
- Original Soundtrack
And with more than $100,000 we can include stories from around the world.
To read more about the stories we're planning to cover go HERE
WHAT YOU GET (OH BOY!)
Of course, more than anything else, you get that special feeling of being part of something both meaningful and FUN! In addition, there's a whole bunch of great stuff on that list to the right.
We're providing these Official Play Permits, which grant permission to be goofy & outrageous in the name of a more playful world. And if someone stops you...hey, just show them your pass.
WHY YOU CAN TRUST ME
"I've known Gwen for 17 years both personally and professionally and she has not only finished every project she's started but done so with a unique flair and genius. I'd vouch for her in a heartbeat" - Andy Abrahams Wilson, Executive Director, OPEN EYE PICTURES
"Gwen pulled off a big project for us (The Story of Stuff Course) with a small budget, a lot of moving parts, and a punishing deadline. I completely trust her to over-deliver on any commitment she makes." Annie Leonard, The Story of Stuff Project
Basically, I have never missed a deadline or failed to complete a project (if you're reading between the lines you've probably already guessed that I'm a workaholic teaching what I most need to learn). You can find out about the projects I've worked on HERE!
CONTACT MEI’d love to be in touch so don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any questions. Tel +1 415 785 7185 email@example.com
If you’re trying to donate and having any trouble at all paying, just send me an email and someone on the team will help you out. And heck, you can always just send us a check. We’ll make sure you get the reward however you end up paying. Send to: SERIOUSLY! The movie, P.O. Box 1172, Woodacre, CA 94973
I'm delighted by your awesomeness, your open-heartedness and generosity!
LET THERE BE PLAY! Seriously!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (35 days)