Tired of cookie cutter comics? So are we. That's where 'OBSCURA: Collected Edition' comes in! 152-pages of pulp horror and other weird tales in an anthology-style collection! Our book is home to 18 unique tales ranging from the first fish in space to the last family alive in the Zombie Apocalypse...and everything in between. Unpredictable and totally refreshing. Inspired by surrealist ideals and obsessed with pushing the boundaries, Obscura stands as a unique oddity in the world of comics.
Collects 'Obscura' Volumes 1-4.
"Brown and D.N.S are burning bright in the world of indie comics with their dynamic, fertile creativity. Obscura satisfies with its tight plots and darkly atmospheric art, leaving readers feeling uneasy. Which is a grandly good thing." -Erica Crockett, author of 'Chemicals'.
"In boxing it's the uppercuts that get the highlights. But it's the jabs and body blows that win the match. The stories in Obscura are quick jabs which knock you off balance. They're devastating body blows which take your breath away. You'll survive reading Obscura, but you won't forget the hits you took reading it." -Kevin Joseph, author of 'Tart' and 'Underwars'.
"A wild ride through the weird, the depraved and the obscene, the tales of Obscura will sit gently with you after hours, crawling into your brain hole like a festering worm - rendering all thoughts of sleep or inner peace inert." - Daniel Horowitz, author, 'Lord of the Twin Lands'
"Obscura does everything you want from a modern era horror anthology. It uses its art to build an aura of unease and to compliment the inventive stories within. Haunting, beautiful stuff!" -Carl Smith, author of 'The Horror of Loon Lake'
"Obscura is horrifying in the best way possible. The stories and art linger long after you put it down, sneaking back up on you when you least expect it, like a nightmare you just can't shake." -Kris Peterson, thegravyage.com
Here, you won't find guys in capes, played out super villains twirling their mustaches, story lines that require to buy 20 books to keep up or movie tie-ins. What you will find is fresh, original material made by people with no agenda other than to deliver unique, entertaining comics. In Obscura, you'll never know what's coming next. That is our vision and that's where you and Obscura: 'Collected Edition' comes in.
Obscura: Collected Edition collects 'Obscura' volumes 1-4 which were all self published in limited print runs and sold out over the course of a year. What can you expect from the book, you ask?
Everything and anything!
The general format of the single issue versions of the book is 3-4 short stories, a introduction from our very own narrator and a small pinup gallery per issue. Imagine pulp comics mingling with 'weird tales' and you're getting closer. The stories contained within range from avant garde to experimental to dark comedy to traditional horror tales...nothing is off limits or taboo. Rest assured, each tale contains that unique, no holds barred, Fifth Dimension Comics flavor our readers have grown to love.
Obscura was created by David M. Brown and D.N.S. who needed an outlet for stories to crazy to publish anywhere else. They were joined by letterers Philip Nolte, Robin Jones and Sean Fagan. A couple guest spots were given to indie friends Jason Ford, Shannon Gretzon and Felipe Anguiano. The result is this incredibly unique book we hope to bring to you all.
Kickstarter Exclusive Art Print by D.N.S.!
Stretch Goals? We've got your stretch goals...
I know, I know, what makes comics fun is the art, right? You want to see, I get it.
As you can see, the art in this book is worth the price of admission all by itself.
Inside this beautiful book, you'll find the following stories:
- Tales of the Tentacle parts 1&2 (A bitter man and his monkey companion go to war over a stolen artifact).
- Everything Ends (A man literally brings death to Death's door).
- Seed (A woman discovers that motherhood isn't all it's cracked up to be).
- Family A.D. (The story of the last human family on earth after the zombie apocalypse).
- Lies Told In Silence (We watch the demise of the ultimate sinner).
- Patient Clem (The real story of everyone's favorite drowning victim).
- The Gifted (Does a giant baby mix with a giant lizard? Find out).
- Automations (A love letter to the horrifying reality of modern life).
- Blue Pigs (Find out what really happened in Dallas on that cold November morning of '63).
- Flicker Rate (The story of the first, and only goldfish in space).
- Suckle My Child (You'll never look at breast feeding the same way again).
- The Strange Loves of Dr. Ives (A strange thing when the living desire the dead...stranger still when the dead desire the living).
- Pure Imagination (Imagine a physics class taught by the devil).
- Jonesy (A madman holds kidnapped children in his attic. Jonesy is a sadistic, murderous clown. This should be fun).
- Be The Best (A wicked fastball and a brutal vendetta).
- Old Fashioned (A mind bending tale that reminds us, "life is but a dream").
- Next Years Ghost (a beautiful, haunting piece written by John Reppion).
Here's an example of some of the awesome rewards we're offering...
And many more rewards available...see the full list to the right -->
All funds raised will go towards the printing of the books, shipping the rewards and manufacturing of the rewards. Obscura: Collected Edition will be printed professionally using off-set printing. The book will be every bit as professional as anything the big two put out.
Thank you all so much for your support!
Risks and challenges
None at all. The work is already done and all we are waiting for is to meet our funding goal and then off to the presses!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)