May is here. It’s show time.
We’re firing on all cylinders to get Pebble Time onto your wrist. With new hardware AND software on deck for May, the team is busy, excited, and fired up!
This week, we’re diving into a lot:
- Preview of the Pebble Time Interface.
- Pebble Time's feature list and update plan. Pebble launches early and updates often. Take a look at what will be live on Day One and what’s coming next.
- Mass production starts this week. This is one week later than originally planned. The majority of May backers will still see their watches ship this month. Some backers at the back end of the May reward line will see their watches ship the first week of June.
Timeline, Notifications, and Alerts
A pre-production Silver Pebble Time Steel joined us on a weekend trip to LA. We couldn’t have asked for a better buddy riding shotgun to wrangle the adventures on our hit list.
The colorful e-paper display is awesome to play with and made managing our day a breeze. Snappy animations bring you forward and backward in time to see the future or review the past. The timeline’s quick views let you focus on what matters.
We’re still playing with a few icons—they’re subject to change—but the interface is at a stage where a little show and tell is in order :)
Get flight information from a calendar event right onto your timeline.
Connect an Android or iPhone to your rental car’s infotainment system (wired or Bluetooth—however you like) to keep things moving and the beats pumping from Pebble Time’s redesigned Music app. Switch tracks, Play/Pause, adjust the volume, and keep your eyes on the road.
Be on time for work or play. Upcoming event reminders pop right up.
Monitor weather and forecasts from the Sunrise and Sunset pins found within your timeline.
Pebble Time features a full range of color-coded notifications and animations. You'll notice a bunch at launch, and we’ll keep adding more over time. Check out the templates for Google Hangouts, Facebook, email, and Twitter.
Pebble Time Features: What’s Ready on Day One and What’s Coming
The team’s hard work and preparation all point to backers unboxing their rewards very soon. It’s important to us that all features be delightful and executed well, and we’ve been hard at work to make it so.
With that in mind, the lineup of features and improvements available in the first software release are below:
- New timeline Interface. Review Past, Present, and Future events you care about right from your watch. Initial support includes timeline pins for calendars, sports scores, and weather.
- Expanded app storage. Goodbye, 8-app limit! Pebble Time will store as many apps and faces as possible on the watch itself. When needed, an app or face not currently stored will automatically install from your Android or iOS device.
- New Sports app. Keep tabs on the latest MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, NCAAF, and NCAAM scores with an official Sports app. Find which teams you want to follow to get start times, score updates, and more sent directly to your timeline.
- Redesigned system apps in color. Alarms, Calendar, Music, Notifications, Sports, and Settings are all redesigned for Pebble Time’s new color e-paper display.
- Voice replies to Android notifications. Dictate short replies for app notifications that allow direct text replies.
All Pebbles get more awesome with time, thanks to a consistent flow of updates and new features. We’ll keep everyone posted as what's on our “up next” list goes live:
- Voice response to Gmail notifications on iOS.
- Voice notes app.
- Stocks app.
- Weather watchface.
- Album art view for the Music app.
Production and Delivery Plan
Pebble Time mass production starts this week (week of 4 May). Shipping begins in the second half of May. The journey from factory to wrist is quite an adventure. Let's dive into the process.
Starting next week, we’ll begin locking some backers’ Pebble Time color selections in the Reward Portal. We’ll email you ahead of time to review color and delivery selections. If you’re happy with your picks, no action is needed.
At this time, we’ll also charge your card for any expedited shipping or prepayment of duties and taxes. If this applies to your reward, please make sure your payment method is up-to-date.
As rewards are finalized, Pebble Times are being manufactured, packaged, and grouped into large pallets of master cartons for the next step.
The factory will manufacture smaller quantities of Pebble times to start, and then steadily ramp up to maximum production capacity.
Your Pebble Time will then be batched up and sent for staging and distribution.
Staging and Distribution Centers
Once a large production batch is created, pallets full of Pebble Time watches in master cartons go to a staging vendor for administrative checks and initial customs clearance. After clearing the staging phase, the cartons are shipped to the five distribution centers we set up in the United States, Hong Kong, Australia, Canada, and Ireland.
Due to the various steps and paperwork involved, it can take up to 10 days for a Pebble Time to make the trip from factory to distribution center.
Final Processing and Delivery
Here’s where it gets fun. Once reaching a distribution facility, the master cartons are unpacked and split up into individual Pebble Time rewards. These “fulfillment houses” are in charge of the final delivery process: labeling your parcel, passing it off to couriers, and emailing your tracking number.
As a reminder:
- US Pebble Time rewards will ship via USPS.
- Standard non-US shipments will ship to destination countries via Singpost.
- Expedited non-US shipments will travel via the courier listed in your Reward Portal.
Who gets what and when?
Rewards will be fulfilled in the order with which you backed. You will be able to track the progress of your Pebble Time as it moves with its batch through the Building, Processing, and Shipping steps on the reward portal.
We expect production yield to hit full capacity by mid-May. We’ll keep everyone posted on manufacturing progress as it unfolds. At this rate, most May backers will see their watches ship this month. Some later backers in May reward tiers will see watches ship during the first week of June.
It’s all very exciting—we can’t wait :)
If you’re reading this, you’ve made it!
Thanks so much for bearing with a long and detailed update!
We hope it gives you a great sense of where the Team and your rewards are headed at this stage in the game. It’s a lot to review and discuss, so be sure to tell us what you think.
Until next time!
<3, Team Pebble