We were going to make a milestone at $2mm, but you guys beat us to it.
The Software Development Kit (SDK) will be available to EVERYONE before Pebble ships. We're also building a simulator so developers can test their applications even before they receive their watch.
Don't worry, HACKER SPECIAL backers...you're still getting your prototype units in August. This announcement just means that more and more apps will be available for Pebble the moment that the main batch starts to ship!
To learn more about the development capabilities of Pebble, you can follow the dev blog.
We're also working on some other cool announcements for the remainder of the 35 days! Man...that sounds like a long time, but I know it will go by quickly.
Eric + Co
Thanks again to our amazing backers.
When we started this project, we dreamed of making a waterproof smartwatch that could be used for swimming.
With the amazing support that you've given us, we're going to make that dream a reality. We were originally going to make this a milestone at $1mm or something...but you guys are too fast!
All Pebble watches will be waterproof enough to swim with!
We don't know the exact waterproofness rating yet (ie 3ATM, 5ATM to be confirmed!), and we still have to work on the industrial design for the change. It's not going to be a dive watch, but it should be great for swimmers and people who get wet a lot! (I'm from Vancouver, Canada which is well known for it's rainy climate. I'll use it when I go home!)
In other news, answers to common questions:
- Pebble can keep time even when disconnected from your phone. You can also set the time using the buttons if you'd like.
- For color Pebble backers, you get to vote and choose your color option after the Kickstarter project closes (ie after May 17th).
- Pebble's USB cable is custom cable because the watch will be waterproof and can't have a big hole for the regular USB socket. We will be selling extra cables as well.
- Just want to remind everyone that Pebble includes a great strap, but if you'd like to swap it for one of your own, Pebble can accept any standard 22mm watch strap. I loved the photo of the NATO strap on the comments, I'm going to buy one for my Pebble!
- The watch body dimensions are: 5cm x 3cm.
- Pebble doesn't have a speaker or microphone, but it does have a vibrating motor for alerts.
Just wanted to let you know that we've started ordering components for your watches already. We're ordering A LOT more as well, and we'll keep ordering if you keep backing!
Also, we're going to have a major new milestone announcement tomorrow! (sorry for the delay)
Thanks again! And keep the app suggestions in the comments going. We're going to open up a forum pretty shortly.
Eric + Pebble Team
It's tough posting about this without using too many superlatives, but I'll try my best.
Pebble just hit $1mm; roughly 28 hours after Engadget broke the story.
You, our backers, have transformed our little project into a worldwide phenomenon. My team and I can't thank you enough. Just want to let you know that we're laser-focused on getting this watch onto your wrist as soon as possible.
We'll have a more complete update coming later today with some answers to questions, new milestones and some pretty awesome news!
Watch out for that!
Eric, Andrew, Steve, Rahul, Adam, and Chris