Pebble is a customizable watch. Download new watchfaces, use sports and fitness apps, get notifications from your phone. Read more
This project was successfully funded on May 18, 2012.
Manufacturing and Software Updates
Our production line is humming along, with the daily output creeping upwards to 1,500 Pebbles per day (PPD). Overall, it takes about 2 weeks for a single Pebble to be manufactured, assembled, boxed up and shipped to our distribution centers, so it took us a little while for the whole process to be ironed out.
There will be a one week interruption in output from the factory next week during Chinese New Year. We've taken steps to reduce the effect of CNY by stockpiling necessary components at our factory so that assembly can resume promptly after the holiday. In particular, to increase output before CNY, we've shifted some subassembly manufacturing to a facility in Taiwan for the most important assembly in the design, the optical adhesion of the LCD module to the lens. Building will be paused during CNY, but shipping will continue as we have a backlog of manufactured Pebbles to ship out.
As you can see in the graph above, we're on track to have manufactured 15,000 Black Pebbles before the beginning of Chinese New Year (Feb 8) (more data available on ispebbleshipping.com). After the holiday, production of other colours Pebbles will begin. In order to avoid delays, if you have a requested a Black Pebble as part of a multi-Pebble reward pack we will also be trying our best to fulfill that portion of the reward separately. We had to modify our shipping software to break down rewards into separate colors, so this hasn't started yet.
If you already have your Pebble on-wrist, keep your eyes peeled for updates to Pebble Android and iOS apps. As backers send us support requests and let us know about bugs and other problems, we will be publishing updates that fix issues you may be experiencing.
Software updates to the Pebble operating system (OS) itself will also be published regularly. The Pebble app on your smartphone will let you know when an update is available, and prompt you to install.
Pebble users have already reported several major issues that we're working to solve.
When Pebble's Bluetooth connection with an iPhone or iPod touch is broken, the iOS software module that sends email notifications switches off. We've brought this issue up with Apple's developer support, but we can't expect a solution necessarily from this pathway. Currently, there is a workaround method to reenable email notifications (link) but it means toggling a switch after a disconnect. We are working to solve this problem (this is our #1 priority iOS task), and we'll keep Pebblers updated about this issue. To help us out, if you're an iOS Pebble user, please fill in this survey about your email usage.
Other issues that we're working to solve
- Email notifications from the default email app on HTC and some other Android devices are not being delivered to Pebble yet. On other default email apps (Samsung in particular) do not transmit email contents. Working on it.
- Some Pebbles are rebooting after receiving some notifications. If this happens to you regularly, use the Contact or Email support button inside the app to send us debug logs.
- iOS Caller ID. We've identified a bug that prevents a caller's name from appearing on Pebble. Will have a fix in the next iOS Pebble App version.
- Android two factor authentication - click here for instructions
- Watchfaces not loading on iOS. Fixed in the next version of the iOS app.
- Battery indicator: we're seeing reports of Pebble battery lasting from 2-7 days. It seems to be related to the variety of different Bluetooth connections on different phones. The first thing we're working on is improving the battery logging and how Pebble alerts you when the battery is almost empty. Then we'll move to improving battery life across the board.
- Android ROMs: we'll do our best, but unfortunately we cannot promise support for the entire wide world of Andriod ROMs out there. We're testing with stock devices from HTC, Samsung, Nexus (among others) and always on the stock OS.
- Pebble seems to interfere with Siri on iOS devices. Working on this problem.
Thanks for all your support, Pebblers! It's awesome to see the first users post pictures of their Pebbles in the wild. Keep the #PebbleTime coming!
Eric + Pebble Team