User Interface Preview + Updates
Bit of business before we get to the cool demo. I'd like to apologize for the abrupt way that I mentioned we would not be able to begin shipping Pebbles in September (in Update 17). It's clear now that this information should have been highlighted and discussed more thoroughly.
Planning and scheduling a major manufacturing project is complex. We're working hard to complete the interconnected tasks that make up the production process. For me and the hardware engineers on the project, a large percentage of our time is spent exchanging complex spreadsheets filled with components specs by email, Skyping about the dimensions of minute hardware requirements and IMing our manufacturing team and factory. Not super exciting. That's why we've decided to share the more interesting stuff (photos, video and more!) in updates.
Our goal is to provide you with accurate information and interesting examples of our progress via these updates. We're working quickly, but we don't want to compromise on quality. While we won't be posting a shipping date until we're extremely certain that we'll be able to meet it, our feeling is that by monitoring our progress by the updates you'll have an excellent feel for how the project is going. When we do share the ship date, it won't be too surprising because you'll have seen the project come together in these updates.
Ask-Me-Anything about Pebble today at 11am Pacific!
I can only go into so much detail during these updates. That's why I'll be hosting a thread on Reddit (www.reddit.com/r/pebble) today at 11am Pacific (2pm EST, midnight Mumbai) where you can ask me any other questions you might have about Pebble.
User Interface (UI) Preview
Martijn is Pebble's User Interface designer and iOS developer. Check out the video in high resolution (full screen for best effect) for a preview of the Pebble UI. Keep in mind this is just a preview and subject to change as we continue to develop the software. For example, the font size is customizable, eg you can select to have emails shown on screen in arger print. The next step is to implement this UI for the watch itself and test it thoroughly on a prototype Pebble.
Martijn used iOS to create a prototype Pebble for quick designing. Here is an example of an incoming email on Pebble.
Music control - You can skip tracks by double tapping the centre button
Other random tidbits from the Pebble world
- Starting a shipping test. Volunteer Pebblers around the world will receive an empty shipment from us to determine how long the shipping process will take. Thanks Twitter followers!
- Started working on the Manufacturing Test Plan (MTP)
- Ran into an antenna issue. Working through it with a bunch of antenna experts. We'll figure it out.
- Started tooling on a bunch of simple components like the USB charge cable and shipping box
- Tested tons of different watch strap samples to make sure we get the texture just right
- Ordered 500,000 more resistors. You can never have too many resistors!
- We're working on a Pebble Account page where backers can update their shipping information.
- In the next update, we'll post more info about the software development progress.
That's it for now. Thanks again for backing us, Pebblers!
Eric + Pebble team.
seconds to go
- (37 days)