We're waterproofing Pebble!
Thanks again to our amazing backers.
When we started this project, we dreamed of making a waterproof smartwatch that could be used for swimming.
With the amazing support that you've given us, we're going to make that dream a reality. We were originally going to make this a milestone at $1mm or something...but you guys are too fast!
All Pebble watches will be waterproof enough to swim with!
We don't know the exact waterproofness rating yet (ie 3ATM, 5ATM to be confirmed!), and we still have to work on the industrial design for the change. It's not going to be a dive watch, but it should be great for swimmers and people who get wet a lot! (I'm from Vancouver, Canada which is well known for it's rainy climate. I'll use it when I go home!)
In other news, answers to common questions:
- Pebble can keep time even when disconnected from your phone. You can also set the time using the buttons if you'd like.
- For color Pebble backers, you get to vote and choose your color option after the Kickstarter project closes (ie after May 17th).
- Pebble's USB cable is custom cable because the watch will be waterproof and can't have a big hole for the regular USB socket. We will be selling extra cables as well.
- Just want to remind everyone that Pebble includes a great strap, but if you'd like to swap it for one of your own, Pebble can accept any standard 22mm watch strap. I loved the photo of the NATO strap on the comments, I'm going to buy one for my Pebble!
- The watch body dimensions are: 5cm x 3cm.
- Pebble doesn't have a speaker or microphone, but it does have a vibrating motor for alerts.
Just wanted to let you know that we've started ordering components for your watches already. We're ordering A LOT more as well, and we'll keep ordering if you keep backing!
Also, we're going to have a major new milestone announcement tomorrow! (sorry for the delay)
Thanks again! And keep the app suggestions in the comments going. We're going to open up a forum pretty shortly.
Eric + Pebble Team