Update 1: A Closer Look At HarmEvil
- If you'd like to see the "deleted" footage of our Kickstarter video, click HERE to go to our youtube account (not suggested for children).
HarmEvil has the qualities of side-scroller, RPG, and Bullet Hell games. The easiest category to place it into is side-scroller, because it is—well—a side-scroller. Like an RPG, this game has the ability to connect the player with the character they feel the most attuned to. Like a Bullet Hell, HarmEvil focuses on dodging enemies/obstacles to survive. Therefore, it exhibits behavior from all three of these game types, but we'll just call it a side-scroller.
"I play all types of games, but my favorite category has always been the RPG. The only negative to RPGs is the amount of dedication required. So usually if you want to master an RPG, you pretty much have to clear your schedule for at least a week in addition to selling your soul to the game.
Most RPG games these days just want players to spend time on their servers. I don't necessarily believe you have to spend a ton of time on a game in order to have that RPG-like experience.
Don't get me wrong! A modern 2D side-scroller is still a far cry from an RPG game. But what if we could replicate that feeling of attachment a player gets when they find that one character that fits them perfectly?
This game style illustrates the desire to give players both variety, and a sense of belonging, without the heavy time factor." - Gio, Lead Programmer
We want to do as much as we can for this game before officially releasing it, and we believe the Kickstarter community has the power to help us achieve things we would never consider possible on our own.
If our project reaches our goal, we can get HarmEvil on the Android market, Ouya market, iOS market, Windows/Xbox 360 market, and whatever else HarmEvil needs to be on. Reaching this goal will also help us pay for our merchandise, and rather than personal profits, the first thing on our mind is the overall success of this game.
HarmEvil is about five particularly gifted creatures that want to be the best. Each has their own personal world to conquer, and being the best means something different for every one of them. As a player, you are faced with the decision of which realm to partake in, which story to listen to, and what you believe it means to be the best.
- At least 5 playable characters with their own personal motives
- At least 5 different worlds to beat
- At least 5 main bosses, as well as their evil forms
- multiple opponents, and obstacles within each world
- 25+ total levels (some more challenging than others)
- multiplayer is a consideration
Every level will start you off with a count-down timer to prepare you to jump in. Once the game says "Go!" the clock starts. The levels themselves make you want to be cautious, however you'll only have so much time to complete them!
In addition to the pressure of time it's very easy to die, because each character has to face both the enemies of their world and the Evil Bats.
The Evil Bats are any player's bane, because an Evil Bat will find a character's weakness and use it against him. For example if a character is big and slow, in his world the Evil Bats will be small and fast.
The ultimate feature of this game are the Boss Challenges, and the Evil Boss Challenges. If a player is lucky enough, they will be confronted by a Boss Challenge. If they choose to accept, their ability to adapt to their surroundings will be put to the test. Each boss has different abilities, different strengths, and different weaknesses, so beating any boss is a mission on its own.
Evil Boss Challenges are like beating Boss Challenges in the bottom of an ocean with your hands tied behind your back, while being strapped to an anchor. The difference in strength between a regular boss and an evil boss is like comparing a wiener-dog (regular boss) to Chuck Norris (evil boss). That's all we'll say for now.
I'm sure many of you (or at least some of you) have played Bullet Hell games, and from what we've told you, you can infer that HarmEvil sounds like a Bullet-Hell-type. HarmEvil is not just a Bullet Hell.
In addition to typical dodging, HarmEvil uses character abilities to invent new ways of "dodging", whereas typical Bullet Hells focus on shooting, and basic dodging functions. In HarmEvil, the enemies can also approach from multiple angles, so you have to look in every direction instead of just the front and the sides. The Boss Challenge feature also places more emphasis on bosses themselves than most games in any of HarmEvil's categories.
HarmEvil also tries to use depth so that you don't get solely dragged into the dodging aspect. The characters are so far apart from each other (in terms of skills, advantages, and challenges) that it's hard to compare them. This way instead of choosing a character because his powers are cooler, you choose a character because he fits you.
We've decided we want to write the names of all our backers as part of the layout of the HarmEvil section of our website (It's not there yet, but we'll be done with it soon, and we'll give you an update showing it). Of course you'll also be able to go to the Backers page of the HarmEvil section of our website for other people to look and know who helped make this happen. All of what we're currently mentioning doesn't exist, but don't let that phase you. We work fast.
After this campaign (which is hopefully successful), we plan to get HarmEvil on every device we can. Right now we think our idea has a lot of potential, however the game itself will still need to be refined even after we finish it.
Once we get HarmEvil out there, our next goal is to get even more feedback from our players, then make the game as fun as possible. We want players to enjoy this game on their first try, but we also want that extra factor that keeps you playing the game instead of getting bored. The HarmEvil team has confidence that we can achieve this.
For our reward tiers that require shipping, we've already included prices for domestic (inside the US) shipping.
However, if you are outside of the US, please add an additional $10 for international shipping.
Carlos Gonzalez - Lead Designer/Lead Developer
Carlos loves working on the development aspect of games. He does game inception! He's been playing videogames all his life, but this year he decided to take a gamble and see if the game development industry was his destiny. Carlos and Gio were the original people working on HarmEvil, until they decided it was best to add some people to the project.
Gio Peralto-Pritchard - Lead Programmer/General Helper
Gio started learning programming languages two years ago, and recently he's become dedicated to object-oriented languages. He's decided that he loves game programming more than anything he's every done, so this Oneironaut Games is his life. He's a full-time college student majoring in IT, and also has a bit of all-around talent.
Brittny Martinez - Programmer
Brittny (yes that's how you spell it) is the least experienced programmer on our team, however she brings the most excitement and passion. She's 100% dedicated to getting where the rest of the programmers are (or possibly surpassing them), and she's also a Computer Science major.
Ricardo Pessi - Programmer
Ricardo is an amazing programmer, and by being on the HarmEvil team, he's hoping to show his skills by bringing his "make things easier" methods to the table. He's also a college student studying Computer Science.
Desiree Michelle Lorente - Game Designer
Desiree has a ton of knowledge on games, whether they're foreign, or domestic. As a part of the HarmEvil team she brings a heap of background knowledge and creative ideas to the table. She's also a college student, pretty much like the rest of us.
Currently we have use outside sources for music, but soon we'd like to get a steady music-making member, or someone who can help us greatly with this role.
Our Progress Bar:
We know it's not easy to make giving money fun, but we'd certainly like to try. We want to make this project as creative as possible, and hopefully an enjoyable experience for all backers.
IMPORTANT: Reward tiers only include what is stated in that tier unless otherwise stated!
Backer Categories: (These "thank you"s will officially be done if the project is successfully funded)
- $1 - $25
- You will get a "thank you" e-mail from Oneironaut Games in addition to whatever is listed in the tier you back for
- $40 - $65
- You will get a "thank you" letter mailed to you from Oneironaut Games in addition to whatever is listed in the tier you back for
- You will receive a personal "thank you" phone call from a member of Oneironaut games (only if you want, we know how awkward phone calls can be to some of us) in addition to whatever is listed in the tier you back for. Anything you've ever wanted to ask us can be answered during this phone call. It won't just be some "Oh hello, thanks for backing" 30-second call, but a strictly quality call.
HarmEvil Game Choices:
HarmEvil Digital Copy:
- An 800 pixel by 600 pixel digital copy of the game that runs on your computer when installed
Specially Boxed Copy:
- A specially designed game box that contains one 800 pixel by 600 pixel CD copy of the game, and a miniature guide. The HarmEvil miniature guide contains in-depth explanations of each character's play style, in addition to the requirements to encounter every boss and evil boss
- The HarmEvil T-Shirt (pictures coming soon) is something to show our supporters just how proud we are of having you. These T-Shirts will be kickstarter unique, and will be the only HarmEvil T-Shirts we produce that have the "backer" tag on them
- If you get a HarmEvil poster (pictures coming soon), we know you're just as in love with HarmEvil as the team that made the game. We plan to put posters in each of our rooms, and if you don't believe us, we'll all take pictures and post them on Facebook (or whichever social media site necessary). :)
- Beta access is a privilege offered to a limited number of backers. However, if you choose to be one of the lucky few to receive the Beta Access invitation, you will have the chance to play the game as soon as our Beta version is completed. All Beta Testers will be included in the credits of HarmEvil, and we may potentially request your services again in the future
- If you are one the spectacular people who are having their name inserted in HarmEvil, then when the game is released, we promise your name (the one you give us, which hopefully is real) will be visible on one of the levels in this game. Sadly, the whole "secret" ordeal means we won't tell you where we're going to put your name :P. It's going to be up to you to search for it. The good news, however, is that you'll be able to confuse random people playing the game who see your name, say "what the . . ." and then lose the game because they got distracted. This tier grants you the ability to mess with players. That's quite a powerful ability too :)
100 Life Password:
- The 100 Life Password will be granted to at most 10 people, and those potential 10 are the 10 remaining spots in the 100-LEVEL-PASSWORD-HOLDER tier. What makes this reward awesome is that if all the backers of this tier keep the password to themselves, it will never get out. And if HarmEvil becomes successful, noobs all over the world will be dying (in the game of course) countless times wishing they had that password. We promise we won't tell either, but that's not good enough, so if the password does get out—and you guys want it changed—we'll change the 100 Life Password and give you (and only you) the new passwords.
Create A Character:
- Those who back for the CREATOR tier will be able to work with us to make an additional character for the game. That means this new character will have an ability entirely different from the previous characters, an appearance entirely different from the previous characters, unique enemies, unique worlds, unique bosses, unique evil bosses, and unique music. We know it sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but you can leave the working part to us. We'll just rely on you to cooperate on us with the ideas, and go from there. You will have the choice of contacting us through either Skype, e-mail, mobile phone, or if it's within your means, in person.
Create A New Game Mode:
- The one who backs for the CAMPER tier will be able to work with the HarmEvil team to develop an entirely new game mode. This will take more work than making a character, so direct methods of contact are recommended. Choosing this tier is a commitment. It is saying that you are willing to give a 100% contribution to making this happen, and we're not asking for manual labor, but we want participation. Games modes are easy to make, but we want you to help us create something extraordinary. We don't just want a game mode, we want something addicting, fun, and brilliant. But we're not here to lecture you. The real reward of this tier is playing the game for yourself, or watching somebody else play it, knowing you made AN ENTIRE MODE. Through this tier we hope to share our hard-working mentality with you, so that when you've finished with us, you can go out and do anything like this if you choose to. We want to teach you our values, so you'll have the most important things to remember us by after.
Reward Goals is an original (or so we believe) idea that involves rewarding our backers for showing support in one of many impressive ways. Just to test the waters, we're deciding to throw in three Reward Goals to hopefully encourage general support and involvement. The Reward Goals rewards are listed in brackets beside the Rewards Goals.
Current Reward Goals:
- Reach 100 backers [Game size increase to 1200 pixels by 900 pixels]
- SELL OUT a pledge tier (0 of ... remaining) [HarmEvil plushies will become available]
- Have at least 1 backer from the Epic Category [In-Depth Character Introduction]
- Oneironaut Games, LLC currently has an email account, a facebook page, a youtube account, and a twitter account. Out of these four, the email account is the most personal. If you as a backer, supporter, or fan do manage to get ahold of this email account, you will be capable of contacting us on a personal level, and possibly building a long-lasting relationship as a friend of the team. We love to make friends, and although there is no guarantee that we will become friends, acts of kindness go a long way with us.
- We also have Skype account that's even more special :)
Other Projects We've Completed
- Battle Ninja Otter
- (30 days)