ComiCase is a reusable, resealable, rigid casing system designed for archival storage and display of your comic collection. Read more
Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on November 22, 2013.
About this project
At last ComiCase has arrived! ComiCase is a reusable, resealable, rigid casing system that allows for protection unsurpassed in the industry, archival storage of your collection, and display options that are as simple as they are affordable.
ComiCase features archival grade plastic to protect your collectible, revolutionary new ways to store, and easy display selections for your entire collection! Now that you’ve watched the video, here’s a brief overview of some of the patented design characteristics that make ComiCase the best decision you’ll ever make for your comic collection.Protection
- Archival Grade Plastic: We use an archival Grade Plastic from the Polyester class of plastics (“Mylar”). Not only is the plastic the best for your collectible, but it is great for the environment (Recyclable class 1 plastic).
- UV Barrier: Notice that nice blue sheen on our cases? We took our UV protection one step further than almost every other case on the market, and added a UV inhibitor to our plastic. While most suppliers rely on plain plastic for minimal UV protection, we wanted to give you something that you would feel safe hanging on the wall or storing out in the open.
- Corner Protection: No more dinged corners! Our cases are designed with corner recesses that allow the contained comic to correctly land on the sides of the book inside the case instead of the corners to help eliminate corner dings and creases. The softened edges in the case also reduce the chance for damage while traveling.
- Moisture Resistant: Our cases feature an amazing seal that allows you to access your comic, while resisting moisture and dust. The cases can also be used over and over again while maintaining the resistant seal.
- Interlocking Technology: A revolutionary new way to get your books out of the closet and into view. Our glide rail design offers a brand new way to store and catalog your comics. These cases are easily assembled to interlock by allowing the bottom outside rail to rest inside the upper receiving tray. This allows the collector to create whole walls of interlocking cases. This technology allows you to access any book in your wall, while the rails hold open the space you removed it from. As soon as you are done reading that book simply reseal the ComiCase and slide it right back in where you pulled it from.
- Stacking Capabilities: How high can you go? Our cases are designed with the interlocking glide feature to be able to integrate as many towers across as you can imagine. Based on our modeling we can create stacks as tall as 4 feet and still be able to pull and replace any case in the interlocking wall.
- Rigid and Flat: Our design creates not only a flat recess to store your collectible, but when the two halves are snapped together it creates an amazingly rigid structure to store your collectible in. The two halves are connected by a durable hinge to eliminate missing pieces. Also, due to our glide rail design, you can slide the case across a table to your friend without worrying about scratching the viewing face of the front and back of the ComiCase.
- Catalog Recess: The case comes with a built in recess to place an identification card for cataloging your collection. The recess is big enough to include not only the comic title and number, but also contributing artists and writers to the book or any other information you deem significant. The recess is tilted forward to allow the collector to view the information and find the comic they are looking for.
- Reusable and Resealable: Our cases feature a moisture and dust resistant seal, that not only help to keep your collectibles clean and dry, but allows for unlimited access to your comics. The ComiCase can be opened often to access your collection and easily resealed by pressing in each corner and sliding your fingers to apply pressure down the sides. No glues needed, and no damage to the case by opening it.
- Hang Tab: ComiCase will incorporate a hang tab cut out at the top of the case for easy hanging. In the event that you don’t have a spare ComiCase frame, you can just hang the case itself. This makes it easy for kids and collectors on a budget to showcase their collection without the need for additional accessories.
- Snap on Frame: Our frames are designed with the collector in mind. The frames easily snap into the viewing recess of the case. No glues or construction required! So you want to display a different book? No worries! Just pop the frame off of one ComiCase and snap it on the next, it’s that easy. The frames will be produced in multiple colors.
- Stand: Our ComiCase stand is designed to hold a framed or unframed ComiCase. Great for setting on coffee tables or shelves. The stand will be available in multiple colors.
The ComiCase in the video and the one that we are currently making is for Current Age Comics. We have had a lot of requests for other sizes, but we had to start somewhere! The other sizes are on their way as this company grows and is supported by you!
Now that’s a long list of features! When we set out on this journey, it started as a quest for a cheap comic framing system. However, we listened to the other collectors around us, took their feedback, and created something that has a multitude of uses for every collector. Our patented design has included every feature we could think of and even more features that other collectors said they couldn’t live without. When we mashed all these features together, we got ComiCase. Being from the collector community, we have strived to maintain a goal of giving the collector an outstanding case that exceeds all expectations without damaging their wallet.
The list of ideas for the product is endless, and we are receiving new ideas all the time through Facebook, twitter, and ComiCase.com. Be sure to join us as we revolutionize the collectible storage industry. We love it when our fans post to tell us what they think and offer ideas to make it better for the entire community. Also, be sure to check out our Facebook and twitter pages for neat contests and prizes!!! Find us at: twitter.com/ComiCase1, www.facebook.com/Comicase1, and www.comicase.com
All of our pledge amounts include shipping to your door (Mexico & Canada and International extra). So go ahead, start your collection with 1, 5, or get your own piece of the wall pie with a mini-wall. But If you really want to get your collection out in the open, go straight for the full wall and add on as your needs grow.There really is no limit to the number of towers that you can interlock together to form your own personal ComiCase wall. Also, see below for mock-ups of our bumper sticker and t-shirt.
Where We Are and Where We Are Headed:
ComiCase is already patented, trademarked, and prototyped. As you can see in the video, the product is ready to be produced and we have a mold maker waiting to cut our molds and get production moving. That is where you and the rest of the Kickstarter community come in! We are offering up our first run of cases to the Kickstarter community to fund the molds and 1st and 2nd run of production. This campaign will help us not only provide you with awesome cases, but will set us up to continue to provide cases to the comic community and help us get our feet underneath us.
Meet the Team
Marketing gurus, a mechanical engineering crew, and some good collectors all came together to form ComiCase. We are already involved in the community and hope to be at your favorite convention soon.
Jim Smith II, CPA – Chief Executive Officer
Brittany Furbee – Chief Marketing and Media Officer
Dr. James Smith, Sr. – Chief Technology Officer
Justin Chambers – Senior Design Engineer
Risks and challenges
We anticipate that the only hurdles in our way with this project are minor production delays. We are working not only on the mold maker's schedule, but the plastic manufacturer's schedule as well. We have already factored in a buffer for any delays, and will give frequent updates on our progress and timeline.
Since all of the design issues were worked out and we have viable prototypes, the funding is only to process the molds and move into production. We look forward to updating the community (good and bad news) the minute we are made aware of production schedules and changes.
Be a part of helping us launch the most creative protection supply company, by contributing right here on Kickstarter!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
As you know, starting up a business is very costly, and we assure you that all costs involved with the kickstarter funds are being handled responsibly and being put to good use to launch the product. This money is all being used to produce the first and second run of product. There are costs for the engineering/mold maker, cutting of the mold and precision die sets, and manufacturing of the product. Since there is product being offered in the campaign, the funds also have to include the cost of the box/shipping materials and shipping of the product(s). Also, there is an amount included to cover the credit card processing through Amazon Payments and the Kickstarter admin fees (8-10%). This represents the entire amount with NO additional money being spent on salaries/wages, travel, patent fees (approx.. 20,000 in patent/TM costs already paid for), etc. Each of our team members has their own jobs and means of supporting themselves and the patents and travel has already been paid for by the group, not through the kickstarter campaign. There is no income left over after the kickstarter campaign, only a small amount of product to place on our upcoming e-commerce store and product samples to send to retailers.
- (30 days)