We love desert boots. They are an iconic British design, a style choice that never looks out of place, whatever the occasion, situation or surroundings.
So we are launching our very own desert boot design - the Barkan Desert Boot - named after the magnificent crescent sand dunes, Barkans. The vast, barren landscapes of the world's deserts may be their natural home, but our new boots are just as likely to be found under the boardroom table, on the boardwalk or hitting the city streets.
This is our second Kickstarter campaign, following the success of the Winkers Resort Shoe campaign last winter. Now those rewards have all been delivered and the elegant, slip-on shoes are on sale at our online Shoe Shop.
Who We Are
Carreducker Limited is master shoemakers Deborah Carre and James Ducker, and our specialist team of clickers, closers and last makers. Based in Bloomsbury, London we have been creating handsewn bespoke shoes and boots for customers around the world for over 20 years...
...so we really know what makes a beautiful boot!
We have always wanted to design for a wider audience and so, last autumn, we created Carreducker London, our ready to wear shoe brand.
Drawing on our shoemaking expertise, we create thoughtfully designed, ready to wear shoes and boots that are imbued with the qualities of bespoke - beautiful leathers, natural materials, comfort and great style.
Britain's Shoemaking Heritage
Carreducker London is part of a bigger story. Britain has a great shoemaking heritage and we want to invest in it now and in the future.
So we are working with a number of small, specialist artisanal manufacturers in England to create a collection of shoe and boot essentials from slip-ons and desert boots to work boots and sneakers. The Winkers are made by a family run firm in Sheffield and the Barkan Desert Boots are made by a small business in rural Suffolk.
We are working to build a shoe business that provides the local, skilled workforces in each area with regular orders throughout the year, avoiding the typical peaks and troughs of fashion seasonality.
But we need your help to make it happen.
The Barkan Desert Boot is inspired by one of our favourite bespoke designs, made for a maverick, globe trotting customer.
Because the desert boot is such a simple design, the balance of detail and proportion is really important. So we have fine-tuned our original design to create a boot that is as much about style as it is about comfort.
Manufactured In Suffolk
The Barkan is made by a small specialist manufacturer, based just outside Rendlesham, in the beautiful English county of Suffolk.
They specialise in the stitch-down construction that gives the desert boot its all terrain, rugged good looks.
Over the past few months, they have been patiently and diligently working with us to sample the final boot. Once the last was decided, (the block the boots are made on), we fine-tuned the specifications, adjusting the patterns, style lines and details.
The Final Specification
- A choice of four Nubucks, two supple suedes and two Italian veg. tanned leathers
- Parallel rows of stitching around the top edge, strong stay stitches, a back strap and three pairs of lace holes
- Co-ordinating 75cm waxed, woven cotton boot laces
- Soft, breathable leather lining and inner sock
- A choice of soles: natural crepe in undyed, brown or black for dry days; or in light-weight, white rubber for extra grip and bounce!
- Sizes 6 - 12 including half sizes
- Generously proportioned last with an ergonomic toe shape for a comfortable fit
Colour / Leather Options
We have visited tanneries, leather trade shows and leather merchants across Europe to source the very best suede, Nubuck and Italian veg.tanned leathers for the Barkan Desert Boot. The naturally supple, but dense qualities of these leathers make them soft to wear, but strong. Each colour is named after a favourite Suffolk town.
The Barkan Desert Boot will retail for £265 in suede or Nubuck and £295 in Italian veg. tanned leather. They will be available to buy at our Shoe Shop, alongside the Winkers Resort Shoes, from September.
- Early birds rewards include: A pair of coloured shoelaces for pledges of £13 or more Colourful, English-made waxed cotton boot laces.
- A pair of Carreducker London boot bags for pledges of £20 or more.
- A pair of vibrant Carreducker London / Pantherella co-branded socks for pledges of £20 or more.
- A 10" natural horn shoehorn for pledges of £30. Each one is different with its own unique pattern.
- A pair of Barkan Desert Boots for pledges of £125, £165 and £200 or more.
- The Boot Box - a pair of Barkan Desert Boots, a pair of Carreducker London boot bags and a 10" natural horn shoehorn for pledges of £230 or more.
- Two pairs of Barkan Desert boots for pledges of £300 or more.
- Three pairs of Barkan Desert Boots for pledges of £450 or more.
- A shopping trip to Northampton to choose your own leather to make a pair of Barkan Desert Boots in your chosen size for pledges of £750 or more.
- All eight pairs of Barkan Desert Boots in your chosen size for pledges of £1200 or more.
- A pair of bespoke / custom Barkan Desert Boots on your own last in one of our chosen leathers for pledges of £2000 or more
- A pair of bespoke/custom Barkan Desert Boots on your own last and made with your own choice of leather from our merchant in Northampton for £2750.
- A pair of bespoke shoes or boots for £3100 - any calf skin, any style, anything goes. Hand stitched in our London workshop by Deborah or James
The Barkan Desert Boot is available in UK sizes 6 - 12 including half sizes. Please use the chart below as a guide for the size that you choose bearing in mind that these boots are a generous fit.
Now we need your help. Help with buying leathers and help tooling up the factory so that we can deliver the Barkan Desert Boots in the Autumn.
We need £18,000 to make this exciting project happen
Barkan Desert Boots: designed in London, made in England, travelling the world.
What Happens Next
When the campaign finishes, we will send out a backers report asking for your boot size. At this point you will also be able to choose your leather colour and which sole you prefer.
Manufacturing will start in July and soon after this, we will begin to ship the boots as they are finished with the final pairs delivered in late Autumn. Crepe soles will be made first and the white rubber soles after this.
Thank you to everyone who has supported our campaign and helped to get Carreducker London this far.
Deborah & James
Risks and challenges
We've worked in this industry for over 20 years, so we are confident that we know what the pitfalls are and how to overcome them.
Our main challenge is working with a small factory. We have been sampling for a few months now to ensure the best quality and to understand the team there better, so that we can work together to get the boots delivered on time. We've booked ourselves into the production schedule and left a little wriggle room for our delivery deadline.
Delivery can also be a potential obstacle, but we are working with a tried and tested fulfilment company which ships shoes worldwide on a daily basis, so you will be in safe hands.
Fit is also a challenge with boots. We have worked hard to develop a last (the blocks the boots are made on) that gives the optimum fit and makes for comfy boots. But just in case your first choice doesn't work out, we will order enough boots in a variety of sizes to allow for returns so that you have a great pair of well fitting, stylish boots to wear.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)