X-One Timepiece — A Mechanically Driven Smartwatch.
- Easily scroll down through our page sections: 1—Overview, 2—Traditional Watch, 3—Smartwatch, 4—Engineering Feats, 5—Watch Models, 6—Watchmakers, 7—Tech Specs, 8—Hidden Stories, 9—Timeline or select your model here to save $640 off retail.
Timeless Tradition & Future-Proof Technology
Traditional automatic timepieces are designed to stand the test of time. Staying with tradition, X-One is engineered for electronic modularity to allow for technological change.
For tradition to meet connectivity on the X-One timepiece, we assembled a legendary team of Swiss Watchmakers and Software Developers.
- Swiss Watchmakers — Keeping the tradition alive, our watch designers have created iconic timepieces for MontBlanc, Patek Philippe, IWC, HYT, Ebel, and more.
- Software Developers — Introducing connectivity, our digital experts specialize in IoT, Industry 4.0, digital interfaces, electrical engineering, and firmware.
X-One Mechanical Smartwatch Features
A new relationship with time designed by tradition and empowered by the digital age.
- Traditional Luxury — Beautiful Swiss-made automatic movement, perpetual calendar with advanced complications, distinctive linear counter display, symbolic Swiss casing, world-renowned 'Watch of the Year' and 'Best Watchmaker Prize' watchmakers. (section two)
- Digital Innovation — Dual smart modes, activity tracker, phone call alerts, message notifications, custom responses, lost phone, stopwatch, music playback controls, and automatic update digital GMT. (section three)
- Engineering Feats — Faraday cage to prevent electromagnetic field perturbations on automatic movement, patented plugin to remove electronics without altering mechanics, and mechanically displaying digital content on watch face. (section four)
- Hidden Stories — Tesla of watches, James Bond style transcriptions, homage paid to the first digital language inventors, the father/son journey to gap generations. (section eight)
The X-One required significant engineering to maintain its traditional precision, while implementing today's connectivity.
Swiss-Made Automatic Movement
The X-One watch uses a beautiful Swiss-made movement manufactured in the le Crêt du Locle, the heart of the 'Watch Valley' in Switzerland.
The X-One employs the self-winding Sellita SW200 with 28,000 bph, 4 hz, 26 jewels, and a 38 hour reserve for the mechanical workings of its automatic watch movement to display hours, minutes, and seconds.
Endless Perpetual Calendar
The X-One's hybrid perpetual calendar is the most advanced complication in the watch industry, surpassing the highest quality timepieces in years of precision.
Comparable to the calendars of Patek Philippe, Frank Müller, and MB&F with their 400 years of precision, the X-One boasts an infinite perpetual calendar thanks to smartphone connectivity and internal memory.
Distinctive Watch Face Display
Bridging the gap between digital and traditional, the X-One watch face incorporates a mechanical linear display and counter.
The X-One's watch face display is complex and required fine engineering of two step micro-motors and smart modules to mechanically display its connected information while creating enough torque and speed to control consumption.
High Quality Watch Casing
The X-One's case blends the highest quality materials for a distinct and simplistic design that's custom in traditional Swiss watchmaking.
Manufactured with utmost quality of materials, the X-One's case blends the reliability of ceramic, steel, and sapphire that is custom in most all traditional Swiss-made timepieces.
Automatic Updating GMT Time Zone
The X-One breaches the gap of the beloved traditional GMT with its automatic updates to the users local time.
Tradition meets the connected with the X-One's ability to leverage its connectivity to automatically update your GMT to your current locations local time on its linear display.
X-One is designed to be a minimalist hybrid watch with only the most essential of connected smartwatch features.
Two Connected Smartwatch Modes
The X-One has an array of connected features available with the ability to display two unique features at once via smart mode in its app.
The X-One iOS or Android app displays your choice of two default smart modes on the watch face with the ability to switch by pressing the black pusher to unlock and red pusher to shift between modes such as alerts, pedometer, music, and more.
Call Notifications & Message Alerts
The X-One overrides your default smart modes to provide a delicate vibration to notify users in real-time of incoming calls, texts, calendar alerts, and more.
Upon receiving a vibrating alert, the X-One watch face displays the type of incoming alert with a (1) for call, (2) for text, and (3) custom notification in the leap year field with alert details in then linear display based on a series of (12) numbers that you assign to contacts or specific alerts.
Fitness & Activity Tracking
Unlike many smartwatches, the X-One's pedometer collects activity data more accurately with an internal accelerometer and not simply leveraging your smartphone.
To check your activity progress, set your goal via the X-One app. For example, if your daily goal is 10,000 steps and you are currently at 5,000, the X-One will display a 5 in the linear display to indicate 50% of your goal. If you reached 12,000 steps, a number 12 will be display indicating 120% of goal with all activity totals stored via app for future reference.
Additional Smartwatch Features
The X-One's modular electronics allow us to upgrade new features with integrations like an altimeter, barometer, etc based on feedback from our users.
- Custom Responses — The X-One app allows you to easily create custom, personalized responses. For example, let's say you're currently driving and unable to talk, simply press the X-One to send a custom text to notify you are driving and you'll be in touch soon.
- Music Playback Control — Wirelessly change tracks, pause and play music currently playing by smartphone by pressing the selected watch pushers. For instance, the red pusher will enable to change track, and the black pusher will enable to pause or play the song.
- Lost Smartphone — Your X-One also has the ability to notify you if you accidentally lose or leave your smartphone behind with a ring of your phone or a vibrate of your watch.
- Stopwatch & Alarms — Through the X-One app you can set preset alarms for a specific time or countdown timers to alert you via watch and with time remaining in the linear display.
- Morse Code — The X-One is likely the only watch that integrates Morse Code with the ability to send/receive messages. When recieved, your watch will flash in code with the ability to respond accordingly via pusher buttons.
Our team of world-class watchmakers and developers faced (3) major challenges to elegantly blend smart with traditional.
Electromagnetic Faraday Cage
First of foremost, the effects of electronic magnetic fields had to be resolved in order to prevent any perturbations on the workings of the mechanical movement, especially regarding its precision.
The engineering team, represented by Chronode (section six) had developed a Faraday cage so as to prevent these effects to disturb its workings and precision. Engineering a Faraday cage in such a tiny and constraint size was a challenge in itself, while keeping space for the micro-motors to direct the hands on the dial.
Future-Proof Removable Electronics
The second challenge was to incorporate the Swiss-made values of a mechanical watch in regard to the electronics in order to have a durable and sustainable watch.
Again, the ingenuity of the engineering team has been tremendous in order to patent a plugin feature, that allows to replace easily and quickly the electronic module from the system, by just pulling off the module without any alteration of the mechanism of the movement, and the micro-motors.
Mechanically Display Digital Data
The third challenge was to determine the most user friendly and elegant manner to display digital information mechanically on the face of the watch.
We combine two distinctive elements, the linear display which is used as a scale allowing to indicate vertically a wide array of purposes and information. The counter is designed to exhibit the modes and features of the watch by reaching out to a round universal form, which allows a smooth transition between each selection.
The X-One Timepiece is available in (3) models of materials with (5) in total.
Standard Steel Bezel - $750
Receive (1) Steel Bezel X-One Mechanical Smartwatch at 50% off the $1,490 retail price.
Our Standard X-One model features a steel bezel, steel lugs, a steel watch case with diamond-like carbon coating, sapphire crystals, and a luminescent SNL layer on hour-index/hands.
Upgraded Ceramic Bezel - $950
Receive (1) Upgraded Ceramic Bezel X-One Mechanical Smartwatch at 50% off the $1,590 retail price.
Our upgraded Ceramic Bezel X-One model is available in Red, Grey, and Black with an upgraded ceramic bezel that is more resistant to scratching, fading, and has a distinct luxurious shine over the standard steel. Upon Kickstarter completion, we will send out a survey with your color preference.
Premium Skeleton Face - $990
Receive (1) Premium Transparent Skeleton X-One Mechanical Smartwatch at 50% off the $1,890 retail price.
Our premium Skeleton X-One model features an open, transparent dial face showcasing the internal automatic watch movements with the upgraded ceramic bezel that is more resistant to scratching, fading, and has a distinct luxurious shine over the standard steel.
Premium Gold Plated Edition - $1090
Watchmaking pedigree meets expert software developers to create the X-One Mechanical Smartwatch.
X-One is an assembly of people in the heart of clock-ticking mastery looking to take an unconventional approach to Swiss watch making and breaking into a world of tradition.
Craftsmanship and digital meet to give the Swiss answer to electronic and mechanical mastery.
X-One Mechanical Watch Specifications
- Case: Steel case with black dlc, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, and steel lugs
- Case Width: 47 mm
- Case Thickness: 15 mm
- Dial: grey with satin finish, hour-appliques and hands with luminescent SNL layer
- Water Resistance: 50 m
- Bracelet: Rubber bracelet, X-ONE buckle
- Caliber reference: automatic H1 OH
- Total Diameter: 26.5 mm
- Frequency of balance wheel: 4.00 Hz (28'800 alternances / hour)
- Balance Spring Type: Glucydur
- Number of jewels: 26
- Number of Parts: 52
- Power Reserve: 38 h Type of
- Oscillating Weigh: Two parts with a segment of heavy metal
- Direction of Automatic Winding: Bidirectional Functions: Hours, minutes with center seconds
- Caliber: automatic caliber H1 with open heart
- PCB reference: Bluetooth Low Energy interface Wireless charging, Qi compliant 50 mAh battery, Vibration Motor controllers, 3-axis accelerometer
All iconic watches have stories, X-One is no different....take a look at some of Easter Eggs hidden within.
Father and Son Journey to Bridge Generational Gaps
Douglas Finazzi and Pierre-André Finazzi were born in La Chaux-de-Fonds, a remote town of 40,000 in the heart of the famous 'Watch Valley' in Switzerland.
Growing up as a child, I had the privilege of witnessing my fathers watchmaking career evolve design for notable brands such as Graham 1695 and Arnold & Son where I got to see first his drawings and concepts. Initially, I never wanted to get involved in the watch business due to its cut-throatiness but through the years I began to take interest, becoming more involved with my father helping with administrative task early on to starting to draft contracts with my law degree as the years went by.
As you'll soon see, my fathers resume is quite impressive winning numerous global watchmaking awards and design for Patek Philippe, Ebel, MontBlanc to name a few which ultimately allowed me to see the dedication to elegance, history, and craftsmanship. Fast forwarding to today, my father was never much into technology but saw me grow from playing video games, using a computer, to teaching him about these technologies. This evolution from father to son teaching is at the core of the X-One Timepiece, blending the generational gap with new technologies but not forgetting the traditions in which my father instilled in me.
We do not see this as passing the torch from father to son, yet a true partnership between father and son with a paradigm shift in Swiss watchmaking and the representation that Watch Valley can innovate to carry on the legacy.
X-One is the Tesla of Watches
When referring to Tesla, we're referring to the X-One's upgradability of software and hardware, what we believe a 21st century product should be about.
The X-One has been conceived with modularity and sustainability in mind with the library of upgradeable software features in the future, such as a Tesla is having its software upgraded with new cool features. When the battery pack needs to be replaced, it is easily interchangeable, such as our electronic module, giving a second life to the watch.
James Bond Style Transcriptions
The X-One's alerts are set up by you...so only you know what the secret message means.
Much like James Bond, the transcription of the information creates a special relationship with your watch, allowing just you to be aware of the information being displayed. This secrecy is meant to be non-intrusive and it is meant to create an emotional attachment to its owner.
Homage to the First Digital Language
Morse code is the first digital language, which was invented in 1836 by the Americans Samuel Morse, Joseph Henry and Alfred Vail.
The X-One H1 is following the Swiss tradition in terms of testing by breaching gap between generation with its morse code feature. It has been used in wide array of fields, and has been in use for more than 160 years. These innovations are combined by using the same principles invented at the beginning of the 20th century but so as to foster and send electronic information. What a journey when we look into the History of Swiss watchmaking.
X-ONE started from an idea in 2016, check out the timeline of the risks and challenges we've overcome.
See what's been completed already, where we are at, and what's scheduled next in our manufacturing timeline.
☑ PHASE ONE — Product Review & Factory Engagement
Completed with approvals on estimated material cost/quantity, tentative production timeline, engineer verification and factory selection with the green light to move forward on Design & Prototyping.
- ☑ Product Quotation — Estimate of materials required and cost to produce your product.
- ☑ Production Timeline — Factory and your company agree on tentative production schedule.
- ☑ Engagement Agreement — Prospective manufacturing factory agrees to production.
- ☑ Engineering Expert Verification — Lead engineer verifies ability to produce your product.
☑ PHASE TWO — Design Blueprints & Prototyping
Completed with approvals on 2D/3D files, initial prototype, blueprint, certifications and final design with the green light to move forward on Tooling, First Article Inspection and Sample Testing.
- ☑ Product 3D Files — Engineers have 2D and 3D file blueprint to build first prototype.
- ☑ First Prototype Made — Head Engineer creates first prototype from design blueprint.
- ☑ First Prototype Works — Test, review and approval on first working prototype.
- ☑ Final Design Confirmed — Prototype approved with no major future design changes.
☐ PHASE THREE — Tooling, FA Inspection & Testing
Scheduled to start on May 1st 2018 with approvals on tooling, samples, material quantity, cost, assembly process and third party certifications with green light to move forward on Shipping & Packaging Development.
- ☐ Tooling Development — Mass production moldings are completed for your product.
- ☐ Sample Delivery — 100 watches produced to review, improve and optimize assembly.
- ☐ Bill of Materials — Sample approved with detailed material quote for mass production.
- ☐ Assembly & Quality Process — Assembly steps created and optimized for quality.
- ☐ Product Certification — Third party engineer experts approve product quality and process.
☐ PHASE FOUR — Shipping Package Development: 10-30 days
Scheduled to start on May 1st 2018 with approvals on designing, sizing, drop-testing and production.
- ☐ Package Test Approval — Box looks good, fits product, ships well and passes drop test.
- ☐ Package Sample Delivery — Box is approved and ready for production.
☐ PHASE FIVE — Pilot Production & Quality Inspection: 30-45 days
Scheduled to start on June 1st 2018 with approvals on material preparation, product inspection and quality tests.
- ☐ Material Preparation — 300 units made with final manufacturing and assembly specs.
- ☐ Inspection & Quality Test — Final production quality test approved and workers trained.
☐ PHASE SIX — Mass Production & Backer Delivery: 30+ days
Scheduled to start on October 1st 2018 with an estimated timeline of 30-60 days for inspection, production line worker training, backer surveys, and order shipments.
- ☐ Prepare Shipments — Backers complete delivery survey for shipping to fulfill orders.
- ☐ Backer Fulfilled — Shipments start to arrive at backers addresses.
- ☐ Third Party Inspection — Workers, materials and process ready for mass production.
Risks and challenges
We have set ourselves to the challenge of merging two distinct worlds - digital technology and watchmaking. We have set our goal to offer a mechanical connected watch at an affordable price with a unique value proposition.
We face challenges in balancing the functionality, design and the small dimensions of the watch. Very high precision is required in the production and control of the lead screw for the linear motion, making it paramount for our team to check quality control and source from dependable Swiss teams.
Our team's extensive horology experience and the time and care put into developing X-ONE has left us confident we can produce and deliver to our backers at this price point.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (46 days)