We're traveling to 15 states in 15 days, but the real destination is inspiration - and we need your help to get there!
UPDATE: We are so excited to have reached our initial goal of $1,500 in the first six days of our project! Our original plan was to fund the printing and mailing of the postcards, plus a little bit for gas and food while we were on the road. But after such a strong outpouring of support, we are dreaming big and coming up with new ways to take this project to the next level. Say animals are your inspiration. We could take a picture of a bird as it flies by the car window. But how much cooler would it be if instead we swam with the sharks at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta and made that your postcard? This is one of the dozens of awesome ideas kicking around in our heads that you can make happen by supporting our project!
Megan is a word ninja. Cecily is a design master. Basically we share two halves of the same brain. World domination plans have been drafted.
In the meantime, we are seeking new challenges and inspiration in our work. We are seeking adventure. We are seeking…a road trip. While Megan has put a fairly serious amount of driving hours in before, she has never undertaken a road trip of this magnitude. And Cecily is a road trip virgin! Essentially she has never driven west of the Appalachian mountains. We're looking to change that.
But this will not be just any road trip. While we’re stopping to check out Foamhenge (no, seriously) and the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, we don’t want to let our creative juices dry up and get all crusty. No one likes crusty creativity. So we came up with a master plan to bring together art, writing, and road trips. We call it Destination: Inspiration. Here’s how it works:
1. You pick one word to complete this phrase: “________ inspire(s) me.” Is it music? Sunsets? Platypuses? Let us know in one word what moves you or sparks your genius. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to think up the perfect word. When choosing, have your Scrabble dictionary handy because any random collection of letters masquerading as a word will be challenged! Also anything too profane or inappropriate will be rejected. Come on people, this is a family friendly project.
2. We travel through 15 states in 15 days, stopping as we go to see what we can see and do what we can do. This is our tentative route:
3. We’ll spend the next 5,000 miles looking for the perfect photo to capture your inspiration and turn it into a one of a kind postcard.
4. On the flip side, we’ll handwrite a brief story inspired by your word.
5. Then it will be time for us to let go of the little postcard that we raised from a single word so it can reach its final destination in your hands.
6. Not only will you get to experience that warm, fuzzy feeling that comes from getting real mail, you'll also know that it couldn't have been created without you. A few of our suggestions for properly treasuring your postcard include framing it and hanging it above your door, laminating it and sleeping with it under your pillow, and having it sewn into your clothing. Or you could just put it on your fridge.
Don't worry, you're not paying for us to stay in a fancy hotel or anything like that. Mostly because we've already begged family and friends across the country to let us sleep on their floor. Your support will help us fund the cost of printing and sending the postcard, as well as a teensy amount for the creative juice we're using to create these works of art and fiction. Being the over-reachers that we are, we're also hoping to make a coffee table book of our favorite postcards as well as a behind the scenes movie of the project and our trip, so your support might help us do that too.
Want to know a little bit more about the people you're trusting with your most prized inspiration? Feel free to check out Cecily's blog here and Megan's here. Thanks in advance for your support and keep that inspiration coming!!
If (when!) the project is funded, we will send out a survey to get all of the information we need from you. So you have until September 2 or so to think about it!
You will not get charged for your pledge until after the project gets funded. If (when!) we are successful, your payment should get processed sometime in early September.