About this project
Pre-order your Horizon today to receive one from the first production run! Only 4 left at this level! Scroll down to see the HORIZON HERO 4 reward on the right.
Field Tests of The Horizon:
We’re making big waves, but we’re still a small company so we need your help to bring the Horizon to production.
What the press is saying about Horizon:
"It is one of the most revolutionary concepts to ever hit the world of mountain biking." -- The Active Times
"It's all about mobility and independence, and the new Horizon electric tricycle — designed by a disabled psychologist — offers both." -- Mother Nature Network
"For the past few years, Outrider has been earning praise and breaking records with its pedal-assisted electric trikes, but its latest design is gearing up to be its most rewarding endeavor yet." -- Gizmag
"It's a great design that would give more freedom of mobility to people who don't have full function of their limbs, but who would want to experience the great outdoors like anyone else." -- TreeHugger
Outrider has also been featured by:
SUPPORTING ADAPTIVE SPORTS CENTERS
What is the Horizon?
Consider the Horizon the electric bike for your super-hero alter ego.
The Horizon started with a thirst for adventure and independence. We designed the Horizon to be adaptive for all sorts of different physical abilities. From quadriplegics to paraplegics to those with spinal cord injuries - everyone loves adventure and fun.
THE HORIZON ADAPTS TO YOUR ABILITIES
It's possible to do any combination of Controls and Pedals:
Controls: Standard Handles or Tri-Pin handles (if you have limited use of your hands)
Pedals: Foot Pedals, Hand Pedals, or Foot Tray
Additional features that increase accessibility for individuals with physical disabilities:
- Actuated Seat (rising) to make getting in and out of the seat easier
- Fold down handlebars for side entry to the seat
- Three wheels and low center of gravity make balancing simple
ALL TERRAIN: THE HORIZON WORKS ON PAVEMENT AND THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
With a full 4 inches of suspension travel, independent A-arm front suspension, rear suspension and knobby tires this bad-boy is ready for action. We've designed the Horizon to be at home of nearly any surface. Pavement? Check. Grass? Check. Dirt? Check. Gravel? Check. Roots? Check. Mud? Check. Plus the Horizon is capable of tackling steep mountains, seriously long distances and speeds up to 25 mph. What are you waiting for? Get out there and explore already!
PEDAL AND ELECTRIC
It’s totally up to you. The Horizon trike can be ridden in 3 different ways:
- Pedal Only
- Electric Only
- Combination of Pedal and Electric Assist
The electric motor is stealthily in the rear wheel, but make no mistake - it is very powerful. Capable of starting from a dead stop, it can reach speeds of up to 25 mph. The electric assist is engaged by twisting the "throttle". The more you twist it, the more assistance you get! Oh, I almost forgot; the Horizon can travel up to 30 miles purely on electric before needing a recharge.
FEEDBACK ON THE HORIZON:
"The Horizon looks awesome. You've basically taken all the tweaks and challenges and possibilities I've seen in years of getting people on cycles and put them in one package." -- Greg, BORP Adaptive Sports and Recreation
“This is my first time trying it and it’s really fun! It was fast, it was smooth... I really liked it.” -- Amanda
“It’s just fun!” -- Nate
“This is by far, the coolest thing I’ve seen.” -- Shane
FREEDOM TO EXPLORE
- Experience the excitement and freedom of riding a bike
- Get great exercise at a pace that is comfortable for you
- One cycle, many uses. Horizon can quickly and easily be adapted for use by people with a range of physical abilities
- Industry best suspension allows you the freedom to explore nearly any terrain etc
OUTRIDER USA CUSTOMER REVIEWS
“The single best transportation choice I have ever made.” -- Kevin, NH
“At last, a vehicle that lets me feel like Batman leaving the Batcave every time I take a ride.” -- Chris, NC
“It has performed well beyond my expectations and proven to be a very reliable means of getting exercise, fresh air and an exhilarating adventure.” -- Cliff, NC
“For me it’s the only way to fly… [I mean] ride!” -- Marc, NC
OUTRIDER USA PRESS
“This counts as my favorite test ride of any production electric bike ever. Outrider trikes are so much fun to ride that anyone spending a day on one… will probably not forget that day for the rest of their life.” - Electricbike.com
"Let's just say the Outrider USA recumbent electric trikes are high performance vehicles." - ElectricBikeReport.com
“I’m really impressed!” - ElectricBikeReview.com
"The only bike ever to receive 100/100" - FindTheBest.com
LET'S TALK DETAILS ON THE HORIZON
This one’s for you my fellow tech-lovers. Feast your eyes on the full tech specs.
- Maintenance Free High-Torque Brushless Hub-Motor in rear wheel: 1500 watts can climb 15% grades
- Dual 160mm hydraulic disc brakes
- Full suspension independent A-Arm suspension, 4 inches of travel
- 48V High Power Lithium Batteries
- Regenerative braking
- Dimensions: 80 x 34 x 31 (inches for LxWxH)
- Height adjustable seat for easy on/off and low center of gravity while riding
- Quick Release, fold-able handlebars for easy side entry from wheelchair
- Electronically actuated seat rises to an anticipated 19 inches, which is standard wheelchair seat height
- Comfortable ergonomic upright or reclined seating position
- Dual bar-end rear view mirrors
- Removable key
- Optional rear rack for cargo capability (available post production run)
- Programmable power outputs
- 30, 60, or 100 miles of range (stock is 30 miles with the opportunity to upgrade after the campaign)
- All terrain knobby tires at ~40 psi
- Anticipated 90 lb total weight 250 lb capacity (rider plus cargo)
- 7 Speed SRAM grip shift
Kickstarter Project Summary
Help us create an adapted-use, pedal-electric, all-terrain trike (Holy hyphen Batman!). We’ve designed, built and tested the first two prototypes, but we need your help with the tooling and production costs of the first production run. With your help, we'll be able to get feedback on the Horizon from adaptive sports centers and rehab facilities across the United States who will provide valuable feedback as beta testers.
After the campaign, the Horizon will be for sale at www.OutriderUSA.com. We have extensive experience building electric trikes, and we work closely with partners and suppliers who share our values.
MADE IN THE USA
Every single electric trike we've made since 2009 has been hand-assembled with pride in North Carolina. We accept only the highest quality from our suppliers and build each trike with meticulous attention to detail inside and out - ensuring that our riders enjoy the best possible experience.
THE OUTRIDER USA STORY
Since 2009, we've made the world’s highest performance electric trikes. What started as a project among friends has grown into a passion driven business that has set nearly every record in the electric bike industry. Needless to say we nerd-out about performance and efficiency… a lot.
Thankfully, despite years in the shop obsessing about every technological detail, we've managed to retain all our social skills. So when you stop by for a test ride, call the shop, or send us an email - you’ll be chatting with one of our Founders and Co-owners - either Tommy, Dan or Jesse.
Bringing a product to production that is as technologically complex and as high performance as the Horizon trike is a big undertaking. We’ve been innovating in the electric bike industry for a combined 15 years, and we know without a doubt we have the team and expertise to build the Horizon. We've brought Horizon to Kickstarter for the crucial feedback and the unparalleled ability to vanquish the financial hurdle a small business like Outrider USA faces when trying to put in orders with suppliers for a production run.
Project Plan and Delivery Schedule
Thank you to everyone who is helping make the Horizon possible. We're incredibly grateful to be blessed with your support, and excited to start producing the Horizon!
Risks and challenges
We know trikes and electric drive systems extremely well. We also have a great network providing feedback and input on the adapted use side of things, but if there's a hurdle it will most likely come from unforeseeable complexity in combining the two systems. Regardless, we've done plenty of problem solving and troubleshooting when we were creating the 422 Alpha, which is now the highest performing electric bike in the industry so we're confident we can work through anything that comes up.
The only other risk is if someone plays Boogie Shoes by K.C. and the Sunshine Band (no affiliation with this campaign at all!). That's what Jesse was dancing to in the beginning of the video!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
With AB [able-bodied] bikes being so much cheaper, I'm still left wondering why the disabled community sees such high prices.
This is a great point, thanks for bringing this up.
I can't speak for non electric-assist adaptive equipment, (I agree that many non-powered adaptive bikes seem a bit overpriced) but I can definitely speak for the pricing on the Horizon.
As a baseline, the going rate for a quality, non-suspended recumbent trike chassis is $1500-$2500. (KMX on the low end, the US-made Catrike on the higher end).
As far as quality full-suspension trikes go, the low end is $4200 for a ICE with minimal elastomer suspension, the high end is a $5000 Steintrike Wild One with dedicated A-Arm suspension, 4" travel coil shocks, etc.
We're collaborating with Steintrikes to make a purpose built chassis, with the Wild One front end. For true off-road use, traditional A-arm suspension is an absolute must, and Stein is the only chassis manufacturer that has an A-arm equipped chassis.
Our specialty at Outrider is quality, high performance electric drivetrain integration, so we begin with the integrated chassis, and then maximize onboard energy storage, charging speed, and motor characteristics for the application. There are a lot of mass-produced $1500 Lithium ebike kits out there, but they simply don't produce enough torque to move an individual up a steep hill from a complete stop without human power input. So we've spent a lot of time integrating a purpose-built drive system for this application.
The next highest cost item, second to the chassis on the Horizon, is the battery. For range, total Watt-hours of energy storage in the battery is the most important element, motor efficiency being second. It's something many folks glaze over when comparing the cost of bolt on DIY systems to the drivetrains on our bikes. The industry average for an electric bike battery is 500 Watt-hours, our packs start at 1100 Watt-hours, and go as high as 3300 Watt-hours. That translates to our batteries being anywhere from twice to six times as costly as industry standard batteries (roughly $1 per watt-hour), but in our opinion, range is incredibly important!
The nickels and dimes on this bike are the electrically actuated seat, handcycle integration, structural aluminum battery enclosure (for lower, centered COG), and tri-pin controls.
After all the components have been manufactured, we assemble the bikes in Fletcher, NC by hand, and road test each bike before it ships, and then we build each crate by hand with screws, and ship the bike fully-assembled and ready to ride.
I hope this helps break down the cost elements on this bike, feel free to ask if you guys have any questions on these elements, I'd be happy to answer! -Tommy
We have XX main pieces to develop that will allow the Horizon to reach it's full potential.
1) Hand Cycle
- We need to take existing Hand-Cycle designs and adapt them to the Horizon. Being able to quickly switch between foot pedals, or foot rest, to hand cycle is critical. Further, we'll need to design a unique system that allows the electric assist to be integrated into the hand-cycle controls. Technologically this will be a complex system, but for the user we'll ensure that it is simple and intuitive.
2) Frame / Chassis
- On the prototypes of the Horizon we've used custom brackets to attach the Electronics box (This is a custom metal box that holds the batteries, controller etc) to the frame. The ability to integrate this Electronics box as a STRUCTURAL MEMBER of the trike frame itself is crucial to optimizing handling, as well as opening the possibility to increase battery capacity in a modular way.
3) Electronically Actuated Seat
- This will allow the seat to rise to approximately 19-20 inches. This is incredibly important for individuals who will be transferring from a wheelchair to the Horizon seat, because it will allow for a straight across slide. Once the rider is the in the seat, it will lower them to the riding height (approximately 12 inches) which is important for center of gravity and balance. When the rider wishes to exit the Horizon, the entire system works in reverse. Oh, as a bonus, it's also going to make you feel like you're in the cockpit of a Transformer/Iron Man suit, so... we think that's pretty cool too.
4) Tri-Pin Controls
- We've been incredibly fortunate to co-develop the Horizon with Chris Wenner, and he has been the primary lead on developing the Tri-Pin hand controls (video explanation above) What remains in this department is running a final prototype to optimize cost, weight and performance, and then creating the 3-D schematics.
Support this project
- (30 days)