The Mistor System is a short animated film about Mistor, a little floating head with arms who will teach you how to find the success you've be missing with the fairer sex. It is possible that this will be the most rewarding 5 minutes of your life. It won't be, but it is possible.
Wait... Who are you and what is a Mistor?
My name is Tim Farrell. I am a professional animator, and I am trying to complete my latest weird cartoon in a series of weird cartoons. The Mistor series started in 2005 as part of my graduate thesis at SCAD. There are three short films, and a series of Mistor licensed JibJab Sendable greetings. This reel contains a lot of the clips in the video above and some other material you can use to get an idea of my sense of humor:
The Mistor cartoons Email!! and WTF!? both screened at festivals around the country, won multiple awards, and were featured on Atom Films and episodes of Channel Frederator. The second cartoon won no awards and was screened just once at Toronto's highly prestigious "Darryl's Hard Liquor and Porn Film Fest".
In 2009, I began working on the fourth cartoon in the series, but life and work derailed the project about 30% of the way through. Recently I resurrected the animation. All but the opening has been completely rewritten, and the still usable NTSC assets are being redrawn to HD standards.That brings us to...
My aim is to create an animated adult-ish comedy type film of about 5 minutes in length by November or so. That running time is over twice as long as the other cartoons. I will submit the final cartoon to festivals. If submission guidelines do not expressly forbid it, I will also put the final cartoon up online somewhere for all to see. Anyone who donates will receive a private link to the finished cartoon online as soon as I complete it regardless of when I make the cartoon available to the general public.
Can't wait to show my kids!
The final cartoon will be Not Safe For Work. I don't make pornographic cartoons, but there is comedic nudity and adult language. It is silly and absurd, but there are also some creative phrases you probably wouldn't want your 6 year old repeating at school. If any of that that isn't your cup of tea, I can produce an alternate censor-bar bleepy version for delicate flower donators. Please let me know in the comments if you choose to donate but only if you are serious. It will take time to put an alternate version together, and it may be released days or weeks after the untouched version depending on my schedule and how much wiener is in this thing.
Why should I pledge?
Watch the other cartoons and ask yourself if you want to see more of this kind of stuff. If you do, contribute. If you do not want to see this sort of thing, consider using reverse psychology on me and contribute.
There are also rewards. I will describe the rewards in finer details in a future update.
What are my internet dollars going towards?
- Film festival submission fees and associated costs. Most festival submissions fees range from $10 to $50, but they can get higher. Add the cost of submission materials, shipping, and the occasional high end video format transfer. All these costs add up.
- Software upgrades and new hardware. A new drawing tablet, recouping recent recording purchases, etc.
- General production expenses.
- Additional animators and/or background artists (if needed)
My goal amount will cover the basics. Anything modestly over that level will go towards additional festival submission costs.
For the sake of argument, here are my thoughts on what I would do if I were to exceed my $1,500 goal:
- At $2,500- I would be able to upgrade my tablet to a Cintiq pen display. That would dramatically improve the efficiency of this and future projects.
- Beyond $3,500k would allow for some interesting possibilities for licensing or even commissioning music. The cartoon will definitely have a sound track, but you get what you pay for. Anything else would go towards a fifth production. I am also open to suggestions. Professional voice talent, hiring additional animators to roll this project into a web series, etc.
- At $1,000,000 I will place ads on my personal website for one year.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)