About this project
How many times have you had to sign a receipt at a store, fill out a form at a bank, or sign a document using someone else's their pen because you were not carrying one?
How many times has their pen been greasy, dirty and probably covered in all kinds of germs from countless other customers?
How many times has that pen been only semi-functional and you end out shaking it, scribbling with it and struggling to get enough ink to the paper to make your words legible?
If you are like us, it has been one time too many! For this reason we designed a convenient, functional and easy to use pen. It has the comfort of a full size pen (which it is) and the portability of a small pen (which it is as well). Moving through a full 180-degrees, this pen brings the best of two worlds together into one device and looks good doing it!
NEW BONUS FEATURE:
SECOND BONUS UPGRADE:
We've decided to upgrade the ink cartridge to the Fisher space pen cartridge - at no additional cost to you. We had a very positive response when we mentioned it as a possibility in the last update. This cartridge writes very smoothly and makes writing with the pen just feel right. Even though we are selling our unique pen concept we feel it is still important to ensure the initial ink cartridge provides the best writing experience. Now this pen can now also write in temperatures from -50º to 250ºF, underwater, in zero gravity, at any angle even upside down! Great for construction workers, law enforcement or any one that wants to use their D180 folding pen in extreme conditions.
Some folks have asked about changing the ink cartridge. It is very easy to change out by just unscrewing the bottom nib and swapping out with a new cartridge. It can be done in a matter of seconds and you can use a wide range of mini-D1 refills. A small selection of options are shown at the bottom of the project page.
1) Looks, feels and writes like a normal full sized pen, yet fold in half and fits compactly in a pocket.
2) Automatic mechanism for extending and retracting the ink. No cumbersome lid to remove or go missing.
3) Pen locks open and locks closed using over-center cam for ease of use.
4) Small storage container (5/16" x 1-1/8" or 8mm x 28mm) built into the top half of the barrel and is accessible by unscrewing the cover.
5) Pen floats in water. Great for boating or for those working near water. We recommend the Fisher refills that write when upside down and underwater for optimal performance in a Marine environment. Note, if you put a heavy items in the storage container, then you will need to confirm it still floats by testing in a glass of water.
KEY CHAIN OPTION? Yes!
QUICK RELEASE OPTION? Yes!:
We've set the minimum funding level at $4,500.00, which would allow us to print a large sized batch and keep the cost of the pen below $50 (including the 3D printing, assembling, packaging and shipping right to your door)! This pen is a tribute to 3D printing technology, an excellent writing instrument and a great conversation piece!
The D180 Folding Pen is available in 5 Colors: BLACK, BLUE, PINK, ORANGE or YELLOW. Once the funding period is complete, we will send out a survey where you will advise the color of your choice. If you want more than one pen, then pledge an extra $49 for each extra pen you would like. Early bird orders will ship first, so backing us early means you will be one of the first to get this unique pen!
To provide the fastest delivery we are only offering a black ink cartridge. If you want different ink colors or different types of refills you can visit your local office supply company or find a wide variety of Mini D-1 Size refills online usually around the $1 to $3 range.
Cartridges that fit in the D180 Folding Pen (a few of the many options):
We'd like to thank Jahzzar for the music we used in our video. You can view the license and hear more here - “Lift off” (by Jahzzar).
This pen is not designed for small children and should not be used as a toy. Like many other pens it can be taken apart and there are small parts like the spring, ink refill and in this case small elastics. As with other office supplies (thumb tacks, elastics, small erasers, etc.) this pen should not be kept within reach of children under the age of 10.
For older children getting to play with a 3D printed innovative pen might encourage them to learn more about the technology of the future! :-)
Risks and challenges
We will start production as soon as the minimum funding level has been reached. The sooner we reach the minimum level, the sooner we can start production, so please help spread the word!
UPDATE: If you want this pen shipped to another country you can pre-order on our website here http://www.3dprintedconcepts.com/d180-folding-pen
Important - for this Kickstarter project we are limiting shipment of rewards to only five (5) countries. If you do not live in one of these countries, but have a relative or friend who does, then you could ship to their address. Alternatively you can pre-order on our website http://www.3dprintedconcepts.com/d180-folding-pen for shipping to your country.
We've also put together estimated transit times for shipping to these countries. Once we announce your reward has shipped, you can expect to wait approximately this additional amount of time.
CANADA ........... (1 to 2 weeks transit time after shipping). Up to 4 weeks
USA ................... (1 to 2 weeks transit time after shipping). Up to 4 weeks
UK ...................... (3 to 4 weeks transit time after shipping). Up to 8 weeks
NEW ZEALAND (4 to 6 weeks transit time after shipping). Up to 10 weeks
AUSTRALIA ...... (4 to 6 weeks transit time after shipping). Up to 10 weeks
If you have any further questions, please let us know!
This is a brand new concept, so we appreciate any help you can provide in spreading the word. If you belong to a pen blog and can make a post about this it would be much appreciated! :-)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We are using a high grade nylon designed specifically for the industrial printer that is printing these pens.
Tensile strength: 6,962 psi
Flexural strength: 8,412 psi
Elongation at break: 24%
Vicat softening temperature A/50: 358 °F
There are two ways to do this:
There are two options and option 1 is recommended:
1) Pledge a single pledge under the aluminum/nylon option with a dollar value equal to the total amount of items you want to order.
* $49 for each 3D printed nylon version
* $95 for each 3D printed nylon/aluminum blend version
* $3 for international shipping (if applicable)
We will be sending a survey form to you and you will confirm with us exactly what pens you want before shipping.
2) If you have two Kickstarter accounts it is possible to make two totally separate pledges. However, this is not required or necessary.
For additional countries you can pre-order on our website http://www.3dprintedconcepts.com/d180-folding-pen.
Our goal is to make a premium product and we worked hard to keep costs as low as possibly without sacrificing quality. The old adage that you get what you pay for holds true in 3D printing as well. In the 3D printing world there are some ways to make a cheaper print:
1) Use a lower quality material to save costs. This sacrifices strength, surface finish, etc. We will only use the high grade nylon material specifically designed for the industrial printer.
2) Using a lower print resolution would mean a faster build time (less cost), but it would yield a lower quality part. We will use the highest resolution setting on the machine to ensure the highest level of precision. Just looking at the threads you can see just how precise the printing is!
3) Recycle rate of nylon powder is another factor in the build quality. When printing using SLS it is possible to filter and re-use the powder on the next print cycle and this is what helps makes the process environmentally friendly. However, the higher the recycle rate, the higher the tendency for a lower quality part (specifically the finish). We will be using a very low recycle rate for the best part finish. Remaining nylon powder will be sent back to the manufacturer for recycling, so it is still environmentally friendly. However, it is a little more expensive because there is more virgin material being purchased.
4) Using a cheaper printer would lower costs, but sacrifice strength and in many cases precision. We are using a high end industrial 3D printer as you can see in the photo and combined with a premium material will create the strongest and most precise parts.
Finally, we have carefully calculated our costs including transaction fees, credit card fees, cleaning, assembly, packaging, shipping costs, etc. We know exactly what it takes to make this quality pen and deliver it to your door and have factored in all costs, so we will not have any issues delivering on our promises.
You can pledge with confidence knowing that if we meet our funding goal this unique pen will be in your hands and it will be the exact same quality as the prototype you see here!
Yes, we will be printing some extra pens and you will be able to purchase them at www.3dprintedconcepts.com.
Support this project
- (42 days)