About this project
Some recent games might have brought back to you some old nice memories and you would like to carry all your old favorite video games in your pocket?
8B Craft is proud to present you the RaspiBoy, the handheld game console that will enable you to rediscover those old games alone or with your friends !
What is RaspiBoy?
RaspiBoy is a handheld emulation console based on raspberry pi zero.
The idea came when I saw on internet projects of "GameBoyZero", awesome raspberry pi based consoles. I was amazed, but it looked pretty difficult to build one, it was a 3 months work and over 100€ for all components! And last, you need an old gameboy to rip open.
RaspiBoy is conceived such that everything fits together perfectly and the build is a 5 minutes task without soldering!
The RaspiBoy comes as a kit, with easy mounting tutorial PDF and video. Don't worry ! It's super easy and we will guide you step by step. It's very much like a puzzle ! Moreover I hope you will find the tutorial interesting as there will be lot of interesting facts on product design, PCB design, prototyping and so on!
(Why a kit? Because we simply cannot include the raspberry pi zero (5€) as it is only sold 1 raspberry pi zero max per customer.)
And isn't it cool to be able to say that you made your own handheld game station ? ;)
But wait! You are saying that we can play any game of our childhood, what does it mean exactly? Does the kit comes with games integrated?
I do not supply any software or game, there are several emulation station software that you can install (super easy installation, it will be explained step-by-step in the tutorial!), for example Retropie or RecalBox. You can check them on Youtube for demo !
Those softwares come with a wide range of systems supported : Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Super Nintendo, Megadrive (Genesis), Atari, MaMe and so on. You can have a look here to all the supported systems.
To install a game you need it's ROM file. A ROM file is a computer file containing all the game data. You can legally download ROM of any unlicensed games on the internet.
Then to install the ROM you just have to put the ROM file on a USB-key and plug it into the RaspiBoy. That's it ! (copy and installation is automatic!)
We tried to add as much nice features as possible in this RaspiBoy! Here is an overview :
- HDMI output : you can connect RaspiBoy to your big TV and video automatically switch from RaspiBoy to your TV!
- Up to 4 players : you can connect USB gamepads on RaspiBoy! (3 players with basic kit and 4 players with extra-usb kit, see below)
- Speaker + headphone jack + Thumbwheel potentiometer to tune volume
- 4 LED for battery status
Why getting a Raspiboy? It can be :
- For yourself and to have some good fun with friends.
- To make a gift to a special someone. (we'll give you a gift card to put under chrismas tree if you want to give it for christmas!)
- To discover the world of hackerspaces, fablabs and raspberry pi with a nice project. We made the tuto very clear and with lot of interresting facts!
- To build an arcade station for your kids and impress them with a cool gift they won't forget !
And what does the RaspiBoy kit include exactly?
- The RaspiBoy designed plastic casing
- 3.5" LCD screen
- game controller board and buttons
- 3.7V 2000mAh Lithium battery
- 8BCraft designed electronic board. (LCD drive is at the back!)
- 8GB SD card, which is enought for thousands of your games !
***Please note that the Raspberry Pi zero is not included in any kits. It is dirty cheap, only 5$, and we will give you instruction how to get yours. We can't include it in the kit because it is only sold 1 raspberry pi zero per customer/order and we can't get any supply of it !***
Upgrades available :
We made our kit as cheap as possible, therefor we had to make some sacrifices. But if you want you can pay a little extra to get those upgrades !
- BATTERY UPGRADE: from 2000 mAh (about 3.5 hours of playing) to 3000 mAh (about 5 hours of playing)! You can get this upgrade for FREE by sharing the crowdfunding campaign on facebook! (we'll send you a survey a the end of kickstarter to validate upgrades + shipping address). If we reach 300 000€ this upgrade will come with every kit! For comparision my smartphone (iphone 4S) has a battery of 1430mAh.
- BATTERY, ULTIMATE: from 3000mAh to 5000mAh. Don't stop playing with this HUGE battery. (beware the raspiboy will get significantly heavier!). You need BATTERY UPGRADE for this upgrade : add an extra 12€ to your contribution.
- MICRO SD UPGRADE: From 8Go (about 5000 games) to 16Go (about 12500 games) : add an extra 7€ to your contribution.
- EXTRA USB KIT: The original kit only have 2 external USB (not enough room on the electronic board!), so 3 players maximum. With this kit you can add one extra USB connector to your RaspiBoy to play up to 4 players. This additional kit require soldering! Add an extra 4€ to your contribution. If we reach 500 000€ the extra USB will come pre-soldered!
- USB GAMEPADS: Add extra USB gamepads to play multiplayer. You can connect 2 or 3 if you have the EXTRA USB KIT. Add 9€ for each gamepad you want.
So for example if you pledge for Super Early Bird, and you want 2 extra gamepads and SD upgrade please pledge 49 + 2x9 + 7 = 74€
If you pledge for Early Bird DUO and you want both with big batteries, please pledge 99 + 2x12 = 123€
And so on. Or if you want all upgrades just pledge for the fully loaded! (if you want more than one fully loaded, multiply your pledge by number you want.)
PS: we will send you a survey at the end of the campaign to ask you delivery address and upgrades pledged.
In order to make this kit so affordable we must reach our fundraising goal because:
1- The casing require injection molding. And injection molds are really expensive.
2- 8BCraft PCB we have to order more than 1000 units if we want to have workable prices. Indeed most of the electronic components of the PCB have minimum order quantities of 1000-5000 pieces!
Therefor we must reach about 1000 orders to make this price possible!
Development is done, everything is ready: 3Dmodels are done, PCB design is done, and manufacturers are ready to get started. The only thing that is missing is a 1000 pieces order! All the project needs now is you guys!
- 29€ : Get the RaspiBoy injection molded casing, comes with screws.
- 29€ : Get the 8BCraft pi Hat (the electronic board alone).
- 49€ : Be the first to get the RaspiBoy kit with this VERY EARLY BIRD offer !
- 59€ : Get the RaspiBoy kit at EARLY BIRD price !
- 69€ : Get the RaspbiBoy kit !
- 99€ : Get the fully loaded RaspiBoy kit with all the upgrades at EARLY BIRD price!
- 109€ : Get the fully loaded RaspiBoy kit with all the upgrades!
- 99€ : Get the two RaspiBoy kits at EARLY BIRD price!
- 119€ : Get two RaspiBoy kits !
- 295€ : Get the family & friends pack of 5 RaspiBoy kits !
- 5900€ : Special retailer pack : 100 RaspiBoy kits !
If we reach 200 000 € we will add different colors : blue, green and black!
The Raspiboy comes as a kit and it's a good opportunity to learn a lot. And that's for me the most important feature!! I think a lot of people are afraid of electronic DIY. With this kit, you don't need to be an expert or to have a solder iron. If you ever wanted to discover the world of DIY, fablab, hackerspace and so on, this is a good start!
Indeed we want this kit to be very instructive on different subjects:
- Electronics design : from idea to prototype
- Product design: how to think your product
- 3D design
- Prototyping: electronic prototyping, 3D printing
We are sure that the building will be as interesting as the playing ! And if you are not that interested in engineering, don't worry it's still a very easy 5 minutes task, you'll be able to go straight to the point!
Help us unlock the stretched goals by sharing the project :
If we reach:
- 100 000€: First color added : black
- 200 000€ : Colors added : Blue and green (basic will be grey)
- 300 000€ : Every Raspiboy will come with the battery upgrade 3000mAh!
- 500 000€ : Extra-USB will come pre-soldered
Early January 2017 : end of crowdfunding
January- march 2017 : production
April 2017 : shipping!
Risks and challenges
Every thing is ready: The prototype is fully working. All the electronic components suppliers are selected. We even already have quotations for the injection molds. All we need now to get started is to reach a minimum order quantity of 1000 pieces!
Back us now and help us reach our fundraising goal so that it will become reality !Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)