About this project
We want to make an in-depth documentary on the personal and cultural impact of video game music. Have you ever paused a game just to hear the music play? There are thousands of artists inspired by those same sounds. Cover bands are performing phenomenal versions of nostalgic music and chiptune artists are challenging themselves with the original game music methods. Tribute albums are causing collaboration and communication between fans and their favorite composers. Remix communities are resulting in new composers to score the next generation of games. Festivals are developing into friends and families all because of video game music. We want to capture this phenomenon from many different angles to showcase the amazing communities, people, and effects this music has fostered.
We're a group of students, independent filmmakers and volunteers who've been making this happen on our own, and we need your help to take this film across the country and across the world. We want to travel to the East coast, attend the Music and Gaming Festival in Maryland, and interview internationally based composers. With your help we can capture the footage this documentary needs.
The designs for the CD, Bluray, and flash-drive mock-up may differ slightly by the time of creation.
Our current cast includes but is not limited to:
Austin Wintory - Composer, Journey, Banner Saga, Flow
- Jake Kaufman - Composer, Shovel Knight
The Megas - Mega Man Cover Band
- Starbomb - Band
- Urizen - Band
- Erik Peabody (Viking Guitar) - Cover Artist/Band
- Nate Horsfall - Director of 'Spectrum of Mana' Project
- The Reno Video Game Symphony
- Tim Trzepacz - Rhythm Core Alpha Creator
- Jesse Buddington - Loudr.fm Cofounder
- Jesse Avila (1000 Needles) - 8 Bit LA Cofounder, Chip Artist
- Luke Esquivel (A_Rival) - Chip Artist
- Pedro Silva (Slime Girls) - Chip Artist
Morgan Tucker (Crashfaster) - Chip Artist
- Eric Fanali - 'Rockage SJ' Creator
- and more!
If we reach our goal, artists on board to participate in the project include:
- Hiroki Kikuta - Composer, Secret of Mana Series
- Manami Matsumae - Composer, Mega Man, Shovel Knight
- Grant Kirkhope - Composer, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64
- Norihiko Hibino - Composer, Metal Gear Solid Series, Bayonetta
- Tommy Tallarico - Composer, Video Games Live Co-Creator
- Danny Baranowsky - Composer, Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac
- Braxton Burks - Pokemon Reorchestrated
- The Minibosses - Cover Band
- Bit Brigade - Cover Band
- The Oneups - Cover Band
- The Super Guitar Bros - Cover Band
- Random Encounter - Cover Band
- Triforce Quartet - Cover Band
- Lonely Rolling Stars - Cover Band
Power Glove - Cover Band
- DJ Cutman - Video Game DJ
- Chibitech - Chip Artist
- Inverse Phase - Chip Artist
- Random AKA Megaran - Chip Hop Rapper
- Grant Henry - Stemage, Metroid Metal
- Dan Behrens - Danimal Cannon
Risks and challenges
With any film production there are challenges in the form of scheduling, travel, and post-production timing. As a group of volunteers these challenges are even more present. Thankfully, our team is dedicated to developing this project with a timely and efficient production schedule. In the event that we encounter a setback, we will keep you informed every step of the way as we endeavor to create the film we know you want to see.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Unfortunately we've smashed our piggy banks in order to film what we have so far. We believe in providing content and telling this story about wonderful people, but theres only so much we can do on our own. If we don't reach our goal we will have to seriously recalculate our production plans. That's why we're asking you to seriously consider helping us make this film happen!
We don't, everything so far has been accomplished through saving our money in 2013, driving from Seattle to LA, and through the kindness of people assisting us. We wanted to show you that there really was a film here before we asked for your support, so we believe it was worth it regardless.
Depending on who you're referring to, its likely that we haven't been able to get in contact with them. Many composers are hard to reach, especially as two new filmmakers without recognition. If you have the ability or opportunity to assist us in getting in contact with your favorite composer, please don't hesitate to contact us! We appreciate any and all help as this is evidently a collaborative project!
"There are a lot of names on board, will there be room in the film? Will it be a million hours long?"
The film will be feature-length, but all content not included in the film will be accessible in the form of extras and extended interviews. There will be plenty of video outside of the film itself to enjoy!
We're not currently, but as you can tell by our shoutouts and tweets we're very happy to be among other creators and we're supporting them wholeheartedly. In fact, if you're looking for another great project to get VGM video in the meantime, we urge you to check out the series "Diggin' in the Carts" to get your fix before The Players' Score is released!
Support this project
- (45 days)