Inspiration from Nature
I take my inspiration from the natural world. We are often told that it’s “survival of the fittest” ...but we are rarely told how diverse and varied survival strategies in nature truly are. From fish with four genders, flamboyant displays of color in the animal kingdom, and intricate communication and collaboration between individuals, nature tells a story that is much more diverse and reflective of a variety of human experiences than many of us are led to believe. It was this view of survival and adaptation that inspired the imagery of my Seven Strengths series.
Strength in Adversity
The vision for this book is to provide a source of relaxation, insight, and inspiration.
In this book, you'll color 28+ intricate line drawings, complete relaxing activities, and learn about a diverse range of survival strategies in the natural world. Each page invites you to meditate on an aspect of your own strength—and the strength of the community around you.
What's in the book:
- 28+ pages of intricate line drawings to color
- 16+ activity pages such as word searches, spot-the-difference, meditative exercises, and writing prompts to relax and improve your resiliency
- Fascinating stories of survival strategies in the natural world
$7 a DRM-free PDF of the book
$25 a print copy of the book, plus a randomly selected art print
$35 2 print copies of the book, plus a copy of the "Love Letters" coloring book
$50 a signed copy of the Seven Strengths coloring book with an original sketch, a copy of the "Love Letters" coloring book, plus five randomly selected art prints
$100 a signed copy of the Seven Strengths coloring book with an original sketch, a copy of the "Love Letters" coloring book, five randomly selected art prints, 26 Love Letters postcard set, and copies of my queer comics Bioluminescent Lisp 1 & 2 and Merethe's Heart.
$200 curriculum for my all-ages workshop on resiliency plus 30 copies of the Seven Strengths book
Note for international backers: I am not responsible for any customs fees if you order a physical copy.
Art Prints: Art prints will be one of my selected images from my 2016 print run. You can preview these at the bottom of the page!
Fourth Stretch Goal: $2,300 for Enamel Pins!
If we reach $2,300 I will make a limited edition run of soft enamel pins. The pins will be one design with a reminder that there's many ways to be strong.
What this means:
Limited edition enamel lapel pins
If we make this goal, everyone at the $100 tier and higher will receive one of these pins as a thank you gift. In addition, a new $60 tier will be created with all the rewards of the $50 tier plus one pin.
Third Stretch Goal: $1,600 for Seven Strengths print sets -REACHED!
If we hit $1,600 I'll be able to make 9X12 prints of the main images of the Seven Strengths series. These seven images are the backbone of the series, and feature the seven key concepts of the book.
What this means:
- Set of seven 9X12 prints from the Seven Strengths series.
- If we make this goal, everyone at the $50 tier and higher will receive this set of prints. No additional fees or pledge adjustments: these would be my thank you gift to you.
Second Stretch Goal: $1,300 REACHED!
The core of this book is a way of thinking. If you're like me, you may have little reminders of good things here and there; stickers, prints, postcards, that kind of thing. If we make it to $1,300 I will be able to print stickers for you to use as a reminder of the book's message of resiliency and connection.
What this means:
- A full-color die-cut vinyl sticker from Stand Out Stickers. I've gotten their products before and have been consistently impressed by the quality.
- The sticker would feature a new image that incorporates elements from the of the Seven Strengths series-referencing each strength and reminding you to be your best (and looking pretty cool at the same time!)
- If we reach the goal, everyone backing at the $32 level or higher would get one of these stickers. No additional fees or pledge adjustments: these would be my thank you gift to you.
First Stretch Goal: $1,000 REACHED!
What this gets us:
- 7 extra coloring pages -including detail shots of some of the more intricate pieces (see below!)
- 16 extra activity pages -including exercises to improve your community and support others
- Improved accessibility of the book -including free copies given to local organizations and a reduced sales price on the final version.
The initial Kickstarter goal would let me print 28 coloring pages (one for each image in the series), 14 activity pages, and 2 word searches. With space for an introduction and author page, plus blank pages so the book is easier to color, we come to a total of 92 pages.
The stretch goal would allow me to print a bigger, better book: 138 pages total!
Organizations I'm interested in donating to include youth outreach programs, GSA clubs, and local libraries. These programs support local youth as activists, artists, and leaders.
The budget for our initial goal breaks down like this:
Printing costs: $633
Estimated reward shipping: $140
Kickstarter and credit card processing fees: $172
...coming to an estimated total of $945. I am able to invest up to $200 of my own funds for the project to succeed, which brings us to our initial goal of $800.
The printing and shipping costs may go up if stretch goals are reached for extra content, such as additional activity pages, stickers, and print sets.
Selected Art Prints...
These are the assortment of prints for the "Random Art Print" reward tiers.
Risks and challenges
The activity pages for this book are currently under development. They are progressing nicely and should be complete by mid March, in plenty of time for printing in April. All orders are set to be fulfilled in May 2017.
This project is my second Kickstarter. My last Kickstarter was for my Love Letters series, which successfully funded in November 2015 and was fulfilled in December 2015. I am thrilled with the final product and the success of that project.
While that project was highly successful, I have given myself a larger window in which to print and ship this Kickstarter project. This will allow me to ensure the best possible final product and deal with any bumps along the way.
Although unlikely, delays could arise due to technical difficulties with the printer, viral backer response on Kickstarter, or unexpected political disruptions. In such cases, my top priority will be to communicate with backers and fulfill rewards as quickly as possible. I have scouted out several back-up printers and fulfillment services should any difficulties occur.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (32 days)